Case Western vs. Southwestern

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by I can't think of a name, Feb 5, 2002.

1. I can't think of a name

I can't think of a name Senior Member

Hello everyone! I am trying to decide between these two schools, and while I have my pros and cons for each, I realize that I only got to spend a day at each school...so I am just curious to see the impressions each school gave other people and see how well those impressions match mine. Thanks for any help in advance!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I can't think of a name

4. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior

o.k I think they are both great schools. Most definitely awesome schools. Case has an edge (albeit slight) over UTSW in terms of general name recognition. UTSW on the other hand is an amazing research school. I think they have about 7 nobel laureattes on their faculty. This is a ridiculous number. They also have lots of cash flow and extremely bright students. In my humble and often misguided opinion, I think it's the best school in Texas, and certainly holds it's own in a class by itself in the nation as a whole.
    You can probably tell by now that I prefer UTSW. I actually found myself "selling" UTSW at lunch during my Duke interview. Not very diplomatic huh? Well I quickly kicked my self and shut the he11 up cause one of the students wasn't too pleased. I didn't apply to UTSW or anything, but I just know a little about the place, and even less about Case. Hopefully you'll get a Case fan to highlight its pros.

5. time quaker

time quaker Senior Member

Well maybe I can throw out an opinion since I have seen both places (and have been "lucky" to make both waitlists).

My impression of Case was that the students are really laid back because the grading is pass/fail. I liked the flexible plan, which allows you to take electives in numerous fields. The one big negative for me is the cost. They keep the cost constant over four years, but I don't think it works out even compared to many other schools (say Vanderbilt at 27K next year and rising versus Case at 35K).

Southwestern seemed to be a place where the students also had a lot of fun. I have heard plenty of horror stories about the work they do there and have also heard there is quite a bit of competition. However, when I visited I did not see any evidence for this. There didn't seem to be any real equivalent to the "flexible" program there though. The price at Southwestern can't be beat (unless you get a scholarship at case).

6. brentunc

brentunc Member

I'm a first year at Case and I must agree that there is absolutely no competition because of the pass/fail setup. I am actually shocked at how much the students go out because I always thought that medical school would force us to be locked up. Another bright side of Case is being done with class at 12 or 1 every day - that allows me to get a good nap in every afternoon. Also, the masters of anatomy program is really growing in popularity within the medical students. This year over 30 of my classmates joined the program. Well, best of luck in your decision.

7. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member

You know my take on UTSW :) but i have a friend here at school that has turned down a lot of great places to go to Case. Her main reasons are the very few lecture hours, the student body and the p/f system. I didn't apply as i'm not a fan of cleveland. I think they're both great schools and it is more of a personal thing. You intending to take a 'second look' (unofficially, i don't think either school has that) at some time? I'd say that's your best time to make a decision. --Trek

8. gobears

gobears Senior Member

I've been accepted to Case and I don't think they have a "second look" weekend. I do know that you could go unofficially and they'd be happy to answer your questions. Doesn't seem like quite the same thing though.

9. I can't think of a name

Thanks everyone for your replies! I have been considering a second look weekend for both schools, but I'll have to see if I can work that out (i.e. time and money). Once again though, I appreciate your replies and if anyone has any other thoughts on this, please feel free to post!

10. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I'm a CWRU undergrad - the med school is top-rate. If you're looking at the research front, it's got billions of dollars worth of funding and grants collectively, and the CWRU name is very well-respected around the world. (It also helps people like me cuz campus minimum wage is like $8.25 :) :) ). The newly elected mayor of Cleveland is even trying to base Cleveland not so much on industry, but on the remarkable educational and research facilities CWRU and CWRU affiliates offer. Because I work with med faculty, I can say that I never expected profs to be so focused on helping student succeed, going the extra mile to make sure students are on track and being generous in publication opportunities. It all just goes along with my philosophy that the more you help people, the more you yourself succeed in life.

Anyway, the med students are really fun, laid-back and normal...which really differentiates it from the CWRU undergrad population (which is very intense and for lack of a better word, "nerdy"). Some of the med students themselves TA for our anatomy and physiology classes and they also go out of their way, spending hours of time to try to help undergrads understand the material. Any time I hear a group of med school students talking, it's always how much they partied the night before or cool trips that they take or something FUN. But they're very sound people as well. they seem to really enjoy it there, and I've never met one with bad feelings.