Case Western vs. U of Florida vs. Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CheeseIsLife

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Creating this thread now to try to get some insight before I have to make this decision in April. I have not received financial aid offers from any of these schools. I am aware that CWRU is incredibly expensive (~85k per year full CoA). I am expecting at least a little bit of aid from CWRU, but I have no idea what kind of financial aid UF and Miami will offer.

About myself: Completely undecided about career goals, but am leaning towards primary care/IM over surgery. Non-zero chance I may want to practice rural health in the future, and I am very interested in global medicine. I'm a career-changer and non-trad. Marginal Spanish skills currently although I have grand plans for improving them. Lots of family in Florida, but interested in doing residency possibly out west (Colorado?).

1.) Case Western
My top choice right now, but not far above UF.
Pros:
  • I loved Cleveland when I visited, I stayed for three nights and went out downtown. I dig the city and can picture myself being happy there.
  • I liked the students a lot. Good vibes from the admissions office. Really impressed with everyone I interacted with at the school.
  • Brand new health education building.
  • Amazing clinical partners and chances to train
  • Amazing match list
  • Great reputation, long history, excellent Step averages
  • I liked the curriculum a lot. I've always been more of a lecture person, but their approach to PBL is well thought-out and has proven very successful. I think I would be very successful in the learning environment. It's also P/F
Cons:
  • Extremely expensive. Tuition is about $65k per year, CoL is about $20k. I'm expecting some financial aid, but how much it is remains to be seen.
  • Class size is large. I'm usually not worried about getting lost in the shuffle, but I'm generally of the belief that smaller is better.
  • Cleveland? Like I said, I liked the city a lot. Weather will probably not bother me, at least not so much that I can't stand it for 4 years.
  • Mandatory research/thesis? Not sure if this is a pro or con. Not interested in a research-based career, but I don't mind being forced to do it as a part of my education.
2.) University of Florida
Definitely a close second place.
Pros:
  • Loved the student body. I think everybody feels like this after interviewing here. The students are extremely welcoming and non-competitive. They all are happy to be there. Feels like a big family.
  • Loved the admissions staff and faculty we met. Very similar to the students we met, everyone treated us like family. (Ms. Hill in admissions knew all of our faces and stories by heart)
  • Cheap CoA: ~$30k/year tuition, ~$20k/year CoL. (Note: I have not received a financial aid offer, so scholarships are still a possibility)
  • Facilities are beautiful. The educational buildings are next door to the hospital. Could live a few minutes away from the campus and bike ride to school every day year-round.
  • Going to have a few friends attending UF (in other grad programs, not med)
  • P/F curriculum
Cons:
  • Not as highly ranked as Case (I know, this is a silly con....)
  • Gainesville is a small town. This is only a con because I know I like big cities, but I still like Gainesville. It would be fine for 4 years of med school, but I would want to leave for residency.
  • Match list isn't as impressive as Case's. I would not want to stay in Florida for residency.
  • Still in Florida, I would like to leave Florida for med school
3.) Miami
Distant third place, but may move up the list over the next few weeks.
Pros:
  • Amazing clinical reputation and opportunities for clinical experience. Training at Jackson Memorial and Ryder seems incredibly unique.
  • VA, Jackson, Ryder, and UM Hospital are all a stone's throw away from each other.
  • Diverse city and patient populations. Ability to practice medical Spanish.
  • Live in Brickell and ride the train to school. Plus all the culture and social life that come with living in a vibrant city like Miami.
  • Student body seemed very happy. I know a lot of people who attended Miami and all had positive things to say.
  • The weather was beautiful for interview day. I know it's brutally hot for the other 10 months of the year.
Cons:
  • Grading and the curriculum... I did not think that this would be such a big deal before applying, and I got mixed messages from everybody I asked on the interview trail. SDN and Reddit seem to think graded pre-clinical is the worst possible thing. Med students at other schools said P/F curriculum should be our most important consideration. Miami students I asked said it's something they don't really think about, and faculty said the grades don't matter during residency applications anyways. However, another SDN user mentioned Miami may be switching to P/F next year...
  • Facilities seem old and run-down.
  • Full CoA would likely be somewhat expensive, especially if living in Brickell (~$45k tuition, ~$25k CoL). This would be approaching the full CoA at Case
  • Didn't really vibe with the faculty and staff I met

My appreciation if you've read this far! I welcome any input you might have on these schools and my concerns.

Members don't see this ad.

My vote goes for UF. It's not as strong reputation-wise as Case, but it still is very strong, make no mistake about that. You can match anywhere you want from UF, and likely the elite programs if you are set on primary care.

Combined with family close by and over $100,000 difference between UF and Case?

UF easily.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the cheapest school if your career goals are primary care related. However, after receiving financial aid decisions I would contact CWRU again and tell them your conundrum, they might find some money to throw your way.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I am also deciding between Case vs UF. UF blew me away on interview day but I’m not sure I want to be in Gainesville for 4 years in my mid-twenties, as happy as the students there seemed. But Case students seemed to love it too, and it really looks like they are investing a lot of resources into the school (that match list—woah).

I have been in FL my whole life but I think I also want to leave for school. Case would be more expensive but idk, I think I’m kinda transitioning into the next stage of my life and Cleveland/Case seems like an exciting new opportunity, so they’re ahead slightly for me right now too. Gonna see how aid works out and also am waiting on one more school, but feel free to PM if you want to discuss it more! Congrats on your successes

Reactions: 1 user