Case Western vs. UIC vs. IU vs. MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Algcnp17

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very grateful to have these options, but having the hardest time making a final decision. I am 25 years old, and think I would like to go into pediatrics. I am from the midwest, but would like to match honestly anywhere outside of the Midwest for residency (ideally somewhere warmer!)

Case
Pros:
-P/F, unique curriculum (I think I will like PBL), supposed to be done with class by noon on most days
-highest step average (~140)
-match list seems most impressive
-getting to do some rotations at university hospitals and Cleveland clinic would be great

Cons:
-most expensive school, but COL in Cleveland reasonable
-mandatory lecture (I generally like going to class but this gives less life flexibility for sure)
-cleveland doesn’t seem like the most exciting place, my fiancé and I will know literally no one

UIC
Pros:
-in state tuition (~10k/yr cheaper than Case)
-from IL, family and lots of friends live here
-P/F, most lectures optional
-fiancé already has career in IL, no worries about him finding a new job
-am licensed in this state for my current job so could randomly pick up shifts for extra $$$

Cons
-admissions office has been very disorganized, don’t really follow through on what they tell you
-Chicago has a ton of med schools, so I feel like the hospitals in the city are inundated with students
-living in downtown Chicago is expensive compared to some of these other areas

IU
Pros:
-lived in Indy for 6 years, very familiar with the area and lots of friends here (will only go here if I end up placed at Indianapolis)
-P/F, most lectures optional
-did research at Riley Hosp for Children so familiar with a few of the hospitals
-am licensed in this state for my current job so could randomly pick up shifts for extra $$$

Cons:
-could end up getting placed at 1 of 9 sites in Indiana, only really interested in being placed at indy

MCW
Pros:
-Wauwatosa seems like a cool area to live (suburbs) with city of Milwaukee nearby so good balance
-Hospitals (besides the VA) are clustered together and right by the med campus
-Pathways program seems like a great way to personalize your education/get involved in what you have interest in

Cons:
-Not P/F (hard to get past, seems like unnecessary stress IMO)
-Match list seems somewhat Midwest heavy, although some students may want to stay in the area if it’s where they are from?

TL;DR want to go into peds, match outside of midwest. Case is a great school with great reputation, but UIC makes strong case with instate tuition and fiance already having career here. Have ties to Indiana which complicates the decision, and MCW probably falls to bottom of list because of non pass/fail (seems like unnecessary stress?). thank you in advance for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly minimizing debt is super important if you want to go into pediatrics... lower paying specialty and keeping the most doors open in this situation may actually mean finding balance between “rank” and “price” since it’s also not a highly competitive specialty.

How set on peds do you think you are?

Also Case isn’t mandatory lecture, they just don’t record all lectures.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I can’t say that I am 100% set on peds, however I did come to that decision with maybe a little more experience/insight (am already a member of the healthcare team in a different profession).

That being said, I am going to keep my mind open during school. Could see myself interested in ob/gyn as well.

Rank vs price is definitely something that is haunting me. However when you price it all out, UIC COA is 79k per year (except for M4 year at around 60k because of no summer tuition). Case COA is 89k per year for all 4 years. So it seems to be a difference of around 60k. So does better reputation outweigh higher debt in this scenario? I’m torn.

What is the cheapest vs most expensive for tuition for all four (and COL in each area)? I feel like it’s a wash between Case and UIC because Chicago is expensive enough that you’ll likely save close to $10k in housing and food in Cleveland (just $500 in rent each month is $6000 per year). But your fiancé’s job is pretty important as well, and he/she will want to find a solid job in the new location.

If I was making the decision, I’d be leaning toward Case unless it’s significantly more expensive than IU and MCW. From what I have heard, Case will open the most doors for you outside of the Midwest. So if the only difference is $40k over 4 years, and you might save that in COL anyway, that will not be that significant in the end.

I also think that not knowing where you’ll be rotating through IU will be a stressor on your relationship - it’s easier for your fiancé to find a job nearby now and stay there for four years than to try to figure out what you’ll be doing during your clerkship (although living apart for that time isn’t the end of the world). Based on what you’re saying above, I feel that you’re leaning toward UIC vs Case. In that case, I honestly think they’ll end up being the same COA based on local expenses. So it would really come down to what you and your fiancé believe is best for both of you.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user