1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. jakstat33

jakstat33 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

27 y/o male of Mediteranean descent comes to your clinic complaining of headaches lasting 3 years, "worsening eyesight" not improved by eyeglasses, fatigue, problems with motivation, concentration. No change in appetite, no weight gain/loss. Vitals all normal. Headache is made better with exercise, some ataxia & blurry vision with heavy exercise. The patient also reports a "ringing in ears" lasting for over 3 years now. Pt was on Accutane for 2 weeks and stopped due to depression... that is when "ringing" began. Saw a family practice doc who did a full ENT exam which was unremarkable. The ringing in ears and headache has not gotten worse over the past 3 years...

Whats up?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

It sounds like pseudotumor cerebri (which accutane may cause), but you would need some lab tests to rule other things out. I'd get a head MRI/MRA with the neurologic patients this patient has, since accutane is also associated with small incidence of vascular thrombotic events (ie CVA). It could be a "zebra" too, and an image would help you figure that out. Other studies that I would order include an ESR (to look for any vasculitis), ANA, CBC, Lyme ELISA, Coagulation studies (Protein C, S, Factor V Leiden, anticardiolipin ab's, antithrombin, PT, PTT, INR). Then I'd get an LP and look at the opening pressure.

4. Vision

Vision Member
    7+ Year Member

Also check to see any recent Abx use such as tetracyclin family since there is a small incidence of cerebral htn in patient taking both accutane and tetracyclin.

5. jakstat33

jakstat33 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

So what you're saying is the patient is screwed if he doesn't have medical insurance...

6. Kalel

Kalel Membership Revoked
    Removed

Is this for you? If so, I'd speak with a social worker about getting this insurance issue resolved. Your family doctor should have resources.