Cases studies .....for medical student only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sami220sa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 40 years old women who has recently emigrated from Afghanistan to a practice to establish medical care . she complains only of mild fatigue and depression . Physical examination reveals a prominent , symmetrically enlarged thyroid about twice normal size . the remainder of the examination is normal .
Questions :
1- What other features of the history should be elicited ?
2-What is the most likely cause of the patient's thyroid enlargment ? what is the pathogenetic mechanism of goiter formation in this disease ?
3- What laboratory tests should be ordered and why ?

:cool: :love: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Are you wanting us to do your homework for you?? ;) :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
why don't you check out these websites for your answer? www.merck.com
www.emedicine.com

also, search for goiter, thyroid, etc. on www.google.com

look at oxford handbook of clinical medicine, robbin's pathologic basis of disease, etc.

i haven't done endocrine yet, but if i had this case i would start to look it up this way... good luck!

I'll agree with previous people who have posted replies...

What is YOUR differential diagnosis?

It is a bit easy to post PBL questions without having looked up the pathology, etc yourself, to expect looking well in follow-up sessions.

After YOU have posited something, which you feel is relevant to the case, I'd be more than happy to give input.

SO - Be a first year, and let the ideas flow! This is what medicine is about...

Airborne

It's tricky to answer a question regarding a patient over a bulletin board. I would always rather see the patient myself. As to exams I would order:

CBC
(All Thyroid Hormone Tests)
T4
TSH
T3
FTI
T3U
Thyroid Scan and Radioactive Iodine Uptake Test (*if available at the hospital).

This of course, based on your initial clinical appreciation that this woman has an enlarged thiroid upon physical evaluation...

Good luck!

The answer is Iodine Deficiency (endemic goiter)
LOL!

Take that **** back to Afghanistan, sami!

tell the Afghanistan tribal people to eat some iodinized salt:sleep:....someone needs to open a Denny's in Kabul.

Status
Not open for further replies.