casewestern school of medicine and cleveland clinic school of medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robocop1998

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Are these two separate schools? I thought Cleveland Clinic is affiliated with Case. So does that mean I can apply to both schools on AMCAS?? Someone please enlighten me on this. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You're correct you designate Case on AMCAS and you have the option when the secondary comes around to choose which school you wish to apply to. If you want you can apply to both, just more essays for the CCLCM.

Hey,
Are these two separate schools? I thought Cleveland Clinic is affiliated with Case. So does that mean I can apply to both schools on AMCAS?? Someone please enlighten me on this. Thanks

You apply to Case via AMCAS, and then you can designate CCLCM on their secondary application.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I apply to both schools, will the schools know? Does it look bad if I apply to both? Thanks so much!!

If I apply to both schools, will the schools know? Does it look bad if I apply to both? Thanks so much!!

I've heard they do talk to each other, but I doubt that it's a negative.

Given that the CCLCM only accepts 32 applicants each year, I have a hard time believing that they would look negatively on applying to both.

You're correct you designate Case on AMCAS and you have the option when the secondary comes around to choose which school you wish to apply to. If you want you can apply to both, just more essays for the CCLCM.
Right. There isn't a separate option for CCLCM on AMCAS because we are part of Case.

Yes, they will know. No, it will not look bad. Lots of people apply to both. I did a few years ago when I applied and was accepted to both. If you get invited to interview for both, they will try to coordinate your interviews two days in a row so you only have to come to Cleveland once. It's also possible that one program and not the other will invite you. The admissions for both programs are pretty much separate even though they talk to each other.

CCLCMer , is the Clevenland clinic a more research oriented branch of Case Western, or am I wrong? (and if so, what sets the two apart?)

CCLCMer , is the Clevenland clinic a more research oriented branch of Case Western, or am I wrong? (and if so, what sets the two apart?)
Yes. Like I explained in the other thread, the University Program (UP, which is Case's main MD program) is a normal, four-year MD. UP students do one four month block of research and have the option to do research at other times (mainly the summer after first year, during electives, or taking an optional fifth extra year). CCLCM is a five-year research MD program. All CCLCM students must take two research rotations (one done the summer before first year, one the summer after) plus do one additional year of research. We have the option of doing three additional months of research during elective time as well. There are a bunch of other differences, but that is probably the biggest one.

If you think you will apply to CCLCM, you should read over the school website first and get familiar with how this program works. It's really different than other med schools, which you might think is good or bad, depending on your preferences. Plus, you need to be familiar with the curriculum before you can answer the secondary question about how CCLCM's program can help you reach your goals anyway. Here's the website: http://www.clevelandclinic.org/cclcm/

Yes. Like I explained in the other thread, the University Program (UP, which is Case's main MD program) is a normal, four-year MD. UP students do one four month block of research and have the option to do research at other times (mainly the summer after first year, during electives, or taking an optional fifth extra year). CCLCM is a five-year research MD program. All CCLCM students must take two research rotations (one done the summer before first year, one the summer after) plus do one additional year of research. We have the option of doing three additional months of research during elective time as well. There are a bunch of other differences, but that is probably the biggest one.

If you think you will apply to CCLCM, you should read over the school website first and get familiar with how this program works. It's really different than other med schools, which you might think is good or bad, depending on your preferences. Plus, you need to be familiar with the curriculum before you can answer the secondary question about how CCLCM's program can help you reach your goals anyway. Here's the website: http://www.clevelandclinic.org/cclcm/

that looks pretty interesting, somewhat like a middle ground between an MD and MD/PHD program. From speaking to other students, do remember if a lot of people applying to CCLCM are applying MD/PHD at other schools that don't have a similar 5 year program?

that looks pretty interesting, somewhat like a middle ground between an MD and MD/PHD program. From speaking to other students, do remember if a lot of people applying to CCLCM are applying MD/PHD at other schools that don't have a similar 5 year program?
Yes, there are a bunch of CCLCM students who also applied to MD/PhD programs. Case has an MSTP, and you can apply to both CCLCM and the Case MSTP if you want. If you're really interested in a five-year program, there are other formal programs besides CCLCM. I have a list of the ones I know about in my blog. But probably every med school will give you the option of taking a fifth year for research if that's what you want to do. I looked into doing this at my state school, which is not very research-oriented, and they still had that as an option.