Catch 22 about SLOE vs "SLOE" letter and October 1st

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knuckleheader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a "SLOE" from a non residency EM rotation that was a level 1 trauma center in the south. It is affiliated with a school but that is about it. I know it is a strong letter but I don't feel it holds much weight. The EM director wrote it in the SLOE format but obviously couldn't answer some questions like will you rank this person.

I have already uploaded two letters to programs, a SLOE from my home institution that I did during third year and an IM letter. I feel that my SLOE may just be a pass because I did it prior to OBGYN,Pediatrics and Orthosurgery rotations. I believe it will be a strong letter of intent but I know that residency programs will want another letter to see progression of knowledge from third to fourth year. My IM letter is strong because I honored that rotation.

I did two extra EM rotations at residency programs in the south, one in September and one in October. The first, program A, was in a moderately competitive program that I feel I will receive a high pass on. They will not have my SLOE ready by October 1st. Program B is in now in October and is a highly regarded and competitive program. I feel like I am doing well because I have a good knowledge base and procedure skill. I am shooting for high pass honors.

The Catch 22 is do I release my "SLOE" letter today October 1st, or do I just submit my application and wait for the residency SLOES from September and October to come in hopefully in the coming couple of weeks for program A and sometime in November for program B. Will I get interviews with only a pass SLOE and IM letter with no away SLOES? How bad will it hurt me during rank time to have program B missing from my application? Will it look like I did poorly?

I am middle of the road, maybe lower tier candidate DO with only red flag a drop from 23os step 1 to 220s step 2.

Thanks guys and gals for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you upload the non-sloe, will you still have space on ERAS to upload your real SLOEs? If so, I'd just apply now with what you have. If you rotate at program B in November, you should have your SLOE back by then and be fine for rank time.

If you won't have space, for all your real SLOEs if you upload the non-sloe, I would not bother uploading it.

Is the ACGME and the AOA match still separate?

Are rotating/applying at ACGME or AOA programs?

racerwad: Yeah I will not upload my fake SLOE. I hope they look at my application. This sort of sucks I only have two letters in at this point. An average SLOE and a excellent IM.

Mr. Cousins: Yeah they are still separate. I applied to both but have only a few AOA interviews because of applying late to the AOA match. I really want an ACGME match though to avoid any problems with the merger in the future.