Cauliflower ear and using a stethoscope???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this seems silly but I promise that my post is legit. Unfortunately, after many years of wrestling I have developed a case of cauliflower ear in both of my ears. I didn't get it really bad to the point where my entire ears are large balls of junk, but I do have enough cartilage build-up in one of them to prevent me from using a ear piece in that ear. I have tried to use a stethoscope but I can't fit the end in my ear. When I use one, there is so much background noise coming through to my right ear that I basically can't ear anything that I am supposed to. Is this going to be a problem for me in my career (I start med school in the fall)? Is there a surgery that I can have done? If so, am I really going to need it or can I get by? Also, would a surgery like that be covered by insurance in any way? Any answers to my questions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Those sound like great questions for an ENT and for your insurance carrier. Those are not questions that med students are really going to be able to answer, or even a doctor over the internet. If you're unable to use a stehtoscope, that will affect your training to some degree, depending on what field you eventually want to go into.

Try different brands of stethoscopes. Find one with removable earpieces, and ask sales reps whether they can custom-mold earpieces.

Don't worry, even if you can't hear anything you'll still look cool with a stethoscope slung around your neck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey rjf,

Did you wrestle through college?

I've had both my ears drained and have a little bit of build up in my right ear.

The draining helped me a lot. My ears would get huge and then it would disappear. Crazy stuff!

Well I learned something new today.

I dont have an answer about the treatment itself.

But, try one of those double tube R-S type scopes that run for around $15. Depending on which company makes it, they usually come with 4 different sizes/shapes of earpieces. One type is a very small cylindrical, transparent plastic. That might be your best option. They double tube might also be an advantage for you.

I doubt that'll be the one that keeps you from being a doctor

Since you'll no doubt be aspiring to become an orthopod, then no, your inability to use a stethoscope will not hurt you.

I know this seems silly but I promise that my post is legit. Unfortunately, after many years of wrestling I have developed a case of cauliflower ear in both of my ears.

Although I have no useful input to your questions, let me just say that if my doctor had cauliflower ear I would think he was awesome! Hats off to a fellow grappler.
-Roy