Causes of eye protrude?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prudentissimus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

What are the most common causes of one eye ball protruding, while the other isn't?

I experience lethargy and sometimes headache.

My hand got clumsy too...

-

Members don't see this ad.

Prudentissimus said:
Hello!

What are the most common causes of one eye ball protruding, while the other isn't?

-
I don’t mean to scare you but if these truly are your symptoms I would get to a doctor as soon as possible.

To answer your question though:

Proptosis secondary to hyperthyroidism in Graves disease is actually the most common cause of unilateral exopthalmos. Though more typically the exopthalmos in graves diseases is bilateral, it is not uncommon for one eye to protrude more than the other giving the appearance that it is unilateral. Lethargy would be more typical of hypothyroidism though, and would not be typical of graves disease.

Other causes of exopthalmos include orbital cellulites, orbital tumor, brain abcess, cavernous sinus thrombosis and pseudotumor cerebri also known as benign idiopathic intracranial hypertension.

In short this could be a serious condition.

Prudentissimus said:
Hello!

-

Eye protruding and clumsy hand (ipsilateral or contralateral?) may indicate an infarction or stroke. Anyhow I agree you should attend to it stat.

Members don't see this ad :)
My general physician says that my T3, T4, TSH are all fine... what else can I do to diagnose the problem?

... do you think i need surgery... i think it's been like this for the past 3 years... All the times I thought it was gonna get better... didn't know it was a serious medical condition.

if surgery, is there a possibility that i will lose vision?

what tests should I ask my general physician to perform?

who else can I contact if my general physician is incapable?

DrMom said:
SDN is not a site for medical advice. Please see a physician to address your questions.

repeating because it bears repeating.... Please refrain from giving medical advice on the site y'all... it's not what we're here for. To the OP : please direct all these questions to your MD or DO. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.