SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Causes of Stress in Dentistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Hope7, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Hope7

Hope7 Member 7+ Year Member

May 15, 2001
    I understand that dentistry is very detailed and requires precision. What percentage of frustration and stress in dental school and in the office is due to the exactness of dentistry?
    How would one know if they can handle the exactness required for dentistry?
    Also, can you rank the dental specialties from most exacting to least exacting? Thanks in advance.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bad_hombre

bad_hombre Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 11, 2001
    Ontario
    dude,

i get the feeling from most of your postings that you're pretty interested in what the profession is like, specialties, and money. If you're not sure as to what career path to choose, you shouldn't consider factors like stress and money, because in the end these are not very important compared to the personal satisfaction from what you're doing. And if you feel they are, then maybe you should stop and reconsider your thoughts before proceeding any further. If you still have those types of questions i suggest you ask an actual dentist, who will obviously know more than anyone else in this forum.

Worry about getting in first, and if you know you're in, do something better with your time, find out more stuff about yourself. In the long run, I think this helps you personally and career-wise as well. Cheers.

4. waiting

waiting Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    gotta agree with badhombre here....first off, none of us on this board are in a position to "rank" the specialties on the basis of the degree of exactness they demand (assuming such a silly thing is possible)...you're much better off speaking to actual dentists from the various professions, not wannabes (potential and actual!) like ourselves....and yes, obviously concern about the nature of the profession, income, etc. are important, these shouldn't be the driving questions right now...'cause like badhombre said, if you're truly interested and passionate about dentistry, these are all issues that you'll work out later during school and down the line... :)