Causes of Stress in Dentistry

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Hope7, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Hope7

Hope7 Member

I understand that dentistry is very detail oriented and requires precision. What percentage of any frustration and stress in dental school and in the office is due to the exactness of dentistry?
    How would one know if they can handle the exactness required of this profession?
    Also can you rank the different dental specialties from most exacting to least exacting?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ineedanassociate

I don't know if I could put a percentage on how much of the stress in dental school is due to the exacting nature of the profession. I found that with persistance and being patient with yourself you can master the technical parts of the profession fairly quickly. I found the more stressful part of dental school and to some part practice to be the human side of the profession. Let me give you an example,If you are in a program that requires you to make appointments for your own patient family then finding the right balance between informing your patient to how important it is they be at the school on time with their fee and offending them that they don't ever come back is stressful. As far as the specialities I would say they are equally precise but different.

4. Hope7

Hope7 Member

Thanks Ineedanassociate. That was very insightful. I can see how the doctor and patient interaction can be stressful and at the same time make each day unpredictable and interesting.

5. T.K.

T.K. Junior Member

Hello Hope7

As a hygienist and predental student, I've found the keeping on schedule is the most stressful part. Especially when your having trouble with a procedure, and your late for the next patient.