CBSE February 8, 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
quite possibly the hardest test i've taken. exponentially more difficult than August, and definitely harder than any of the new NBMEs. unfortunately it didn't quite look as representative of those NBMEs as it did in the August one, which is why i'm guessing that average was so high. hopefully the curve helps us out.

average was a 57. What’s high about that lol. Average has been around that for the past 5 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody who did well on the August CBSE feel as bad as the majority of people in this thread when walking out?

Did anybody who did well on the August CBSE feel as bad as the majority of people in this thread when walking out?
I felt kind of surprised that there were a good number of pretty easy questions, but that doesn’t mean I felt good. I was still sure that I missed plenty and completely unsure of a ton of questions as well. As I mentioned a couple comments back, the average in August was still a 57, only a single point higher than where it usually is. Individual exams will feel harder or easier to different people depending on which NBMEs they took or if it’s their first or third CBSE. In the end though, the exam is curved, and if you’re well prepared, the relative difficulty is essentially meaningless because of the curve. It’s essentially guaranteed that the average and standard deviation will be very similar to August and most other exams.

Reactions: 1 user

I personally felt like I did worse on the August exam than any NBME's I took. Exam ended up going better than it felt even though I think I scored on the lower end of my confidence interval. Knowing it's the real deal, nerves, and no instant results all contribute to making the test usually feel worse.

Reactions: 2 users
I think someone summed it up well this exam was very random more than difficult on its own. Like there was a lot of a line and a half questions that asked something very specific not covered by BNB UW or FA. If you keep getting a lot of those random questions on top of the normal distribution of easy/medium/hard questions it’s gonna feel hard. Another reason why it was hard was cause they didn’t test many usual concepts. For example nothing on IBD diabetes etc.
depends on curve in the end but this was an exam full of very easy questions usually number of hard a lot of random ones but I guess overall exam did not focus on the usual stuff and that’s what made it seem quite harder than usual

This exam wasn’t hard. It was random.
I could have had first aid open in front of me and done the same. Somebody doing far worse than me on NBMEs guess was as good as mine for many of the questions.
I’m predicting some people who half-*ssed UFAPs will luck out on this one, since the exam did not test on what most people use to prepare for the cBSe.

Reactions: 3 users
This exam wasn’t hard. It was random.
I could have had first aid open in front of me and done the same. Somebody doing far worse than me on NBMEs guess was as good as mine for many of the questions.
I’m predicting some people who half-*ssed UFAPs will luck out on this one, since the exam did not test on what most people use to prepare for the cBSe.
I think someone summed it up well this exam was very random more than difficult on its own. Like there was a lot of a line and a half questions that asked something very specific not covered by BNB UW or FA. If you keep getting a lot of those random questions on top of the normal distribution of easy/medium/hard questions it’s gonna feel hard. Another reason why it was hard was cause they didn’t test many usual concepts. For example nothing on IBD diabetes etc.
depends on curve in the end but this was an exam full of very easy questions usually number of hard a lot of random ones but I guess overall exam did not focus on the usual stuff and that’s what made it seem quite harder than usual

Yea these are perfect descriptions. Im just hoping a lot of those random questions are those “experimental” ones that don’t count. Frustrating when what you study isnt shown on the exam

Yea these are perfect descriptions. Im just hoping a lot of those random questions are those “experimental” ones that don’t count. Frustrating when what you study isnt shown on the exam
Sadly was more like 10 year old NBME than experimental haha. Maybe it’s true that we take retired NBME’s.
regardless haha I think curve will be king Idoubt there will be 20 point drops for people that were consistently hitting a certain score.

Sadly was more like 10 year old NBME than experimental haha. Maybe it’s true that we take retired NBME’s.
regardless haha I think curve will be king Idoubt there will be 20 point drops for people that were consistently hitting a certain score.

Hahah if we have to rewrite at least now we know for next time. Nbme 18 last weekend said 66% chance my score falls somewhere between 71-81, hopefully it holds true.

I’m sure most people will end up doing close to their nbme average. People have to realize this exam is made so people can’t somehow get the majority of questions right. There will be a lucky few that get above 80s but A strong majority will be below that.

I thought this exam was a lot tougher than the August exam as well. Especially the last section for me...ouch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the practicality of AAOMS receiving our scores is?

Stumbling into the party late but relieved not to be the only one a little thrown off by that exam. That sucked.

When are you dropping a cbse video?
Well now that I have my life back haha I'm gonna try to get caught up with vids about whats happening in clinic and the CBSE. Hopefully this week or next

Reactions: 4 users
I feel that there were many questions that I just haven't seen before. Does anyone suggest any particular topics/resources that covered some of the material that were on Saturday's exam? I'm trying to get the ball rolling again for August studying

I feel that there were many questions that I just haven't seen before. Does anyone suggest any particular topics/resources that covered some of the material that were on Saturday's exam? I'm trying to get the ball rolling again for August studying
BNB IMO is the best resource of course after an encyclopedia of STEP which is FA. BNB has exactly what’s not in FA that’s usually well tested on NBME’s. I hated on BNB and didn’t wanna watch until the months before when I gave it a try and had to watch everything on 2.5X to get through almost all of it. If I could go back I’d do BNB earlier and try to get every detail out of it. Whatever you think it’s like out there in BNB turns out being a tested concept. That guy hits these things so well!

BNB IMO is the best resource of course after an encyclopedia of STEP which is FA. BNB has exactly what’s not in FA (???) that’s usually well tested on NBME’s. I hated on BNB and didn’t wanna watch until the months before when I gave it a try and had to watch everything on 2.5X to get through almost all of it. If I could go back I’d do BNB earlier and try to get every detail out of it. Whatever you think it’s like out there in BNB turns out being a tested concept. That guy hits these things so well!
BNB is purely based off of FA

BNB is purely based off of FA
I thought it was like 80-85% FA but the rest just turned to be exactly answers to NBME questions. Not mind blowin concepts but things like Details that I thought were HY for questions.
I mean UW has so much info and you just somehow know by time you’re ready for your test it’s got 0 value. Whereas from what my experience whenever I was thinking this is an off detail from BNB it turned up 2 exams later. FA will have everything mostly it’s about supplementing I think. And I don’t think something like amboss is the answer

Wait, you’re taking it a third time!?
Thanks for the advice, definitely know what you mean. Hopefully everything goes smoothly the day of for all of us

This is gonna be my first time taking it but I definitely feel like 6 attempts is more than enough to get a good score
I took the exam 6 times and my score seems to be not enough yet. Does it mean I cant take the exam in August ? I wish they mentioned before so I wont take the test in February and sit down to study more. Please I need an advice.

I took the exam 6 times and my score seems to be not enough yet. Does it mean I cant take the exam in August ? I wish they mentioned before so I wont take the test in February and sit down to study more. Please I need an advice.
Honestly I have no idea, I think your best bet is to call them and ask them directly. Best of luck.

You don’t know how you did just. Yet. But yes definitely call. They didn’t have this rule few yrs back so you didn’t know. I’d call but I’d get my result first

This wait is so painful. I wish it were like the DAT where it spit it out immediately.

Also - we don't go based on the score conversion on their website, right? Last August emailed us this conversion list which adjusted everyones scores a tad.
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 2.11.12 PM.png

Also - we don't go based on the score conversion on their website, right? Last August emailed us this conversion list which adjusted everyones scores a tad.
View attachment 295321
Did this conversion help? I feel like now you just report your 3 digit score which is a lot closer to what Med students report

View attachment 295321

you’re going to get a 3 digit score so no need to really be that worried about the conversion. Most ppl applying this upcoming cycle will probably have a 3 digit score I imagine.

also for everyone bugging out about how hard this CBSE was (and how last August was “way easier”), just remember it’s a standardized exam so avg and standard deviation will be kept basically the same as previous exam. So whatever “curve” they apply will compensate for the difficulty of the exam.

I think people were still reporting 2 digit scores after converting last year. Gonna take a awhile to fully switch over to 3 digits I would think.

no need for the " ". It was way harder than last August lol. But yeah agree the curve should be more forgiving. If only I had Dr. Sattar with me while taking the exam

View attachment 295392
If only sattar, Ryan, UW and FA would have been enough for that exam lol I straight up needed google for every other 4 questions lol. I’m not kidding when I say after a few q’s I was wondering if it was the right exam I’d studied for. Once I started feeling better, second section started...
No hate but some people really don’t think that exam was harder if like everyone says that. I saw 10 NBME’s and nothing was as much whack as that

If only sattar, Ryan, UW and FA would have been enough for that exam lol I straight up needed google for every other 4 questions lol. I’m not kidding when I say after a few q’s I was wondering if it was the right exam I’d studied for. Once I started feeling better, second section started...
No hate but some people really don’t think that exam was harder if like everyone says that. I saw 10 NBME’s and nothing was as much whack as that

I think this is vague enough to not be talking about questions. But there was 1 question on sperm that I had absolutely no idea what was going on. I actually laughed mid-exam.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 3 users
So does our test get curved by the OMFS people or like the NBME people? Haha

So does our test get curved by the OMFS people or like the NBME people? Haha
I think it’s the NBME people. All OMFS does from what I understand is ask medicals to administrate the exam for us twice per year. I guess no one knows especially on NBME (which unlike step doesn’t matter for med students) what curve is but I think it’s again a set curve that worked for med students.

yeah i think it’s the med curve, otherwise there wouldn’t really be any point in residencies using this exam to see if we’d be able to pass step 1

lets just hope it's curved to the same degree as the practice NBMEs.

Now that Step 1 is P/F, will this affect the CBSE in any way? Is the CBSE to remain a three digit numerical score or is it eventually going to P/F too?
The CBSE is a separate exam with a separate purpose, I doubt anything will change unless AAOMS decides they want a different way to differentiate applicants and I doubt that will happen.

No reason for anything to change from the viewpoint of the OMFS specialty. Life goes on as usual.

What this means for medical students, however, is that Step 2 is now the differentiating factor among applicants.

The CBSE is administered by NBME though, why keep making that a scored test when the real one isnt? In a couple years a scored CBSE may not be offered.

The CBSE is administered by NBME though, why keep making that a scored test when the real one isnt? In a couple years a scored CBSE may not be offered.
It’s still useful to med students to get a scored practice test though right? If you can get a 260 on a CBSE you can pretty much stop studying but if you get a 160 2 weeks from step 1 you’d better hit UWorld pretty hard.

I think this will be super interesting to watch unfold sort of from the sidelines, similar to how I feel about the new dental boards. OMFS just wants to know you can handle the material, and CBSE scores were to prove you can handle Step 1 right? I don't see this impacting us as much, but probably pretty stressful for med students.

Personally I think zero chance CBSE becomes p/f. Cbse took the place of part 1 when it became p/f, and I dont see it changing unless something else takes the cbse’s place. With a lot of schools being p/f and no ranking already, programs need a way to differentiate between applicants.

If the previous score report is avail until 22nd of Feb, does it mean that we are not going to get our scores until then?

Personally I think zero chance CBSE becomes p/f. Cbse took the place of part 1 when it became p/f, and I dont see it changing unless something else takes the cbse’s place. With a lot of schools being p/f and no ranking already, programs need a way to differentiate between applicants.
The ADAT Lolol. Just kidding. Yeah no way it’d be P/F. They have a pool of 50-100k questions to keep asking for the next few decades probably

If the previous score report is avail until 22nd of Feb, does it mean that we are not going to get our scores until then?
That would mean another week which is usually not long people waited. Like 2 weeks. At least hopefully it’s not 3+ this time

it’s gonna be a cruel joke if they drop scores tomorrow lol