CBSE Poll: Dental School w/o Med School Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many months did you study?

• 2 months

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • 4 months

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • 6 months

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • 8 months

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • 1 year

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • 1.5 years

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 2 years

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

lamemrsa

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are not in an integrated Med School curriculum: How long did you study to achieve a score of 65+

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I come from a school with a non-integrated curriculum, however I feel that our basic science exposure is really solid. Studied every spare second (during a more laid back semester of D school) for a little over two months. Hit the low 70s.

Members don't see this ad :)
my school didn't have a med based curriculum. I studied for 3 months and got a 68.

Can you guys possibly elaborate on the materials you mostly spent time on?

There are tons of threads that go into this but I'll give you the jist of it. Most people will agree with with this.
- I've added my personal level of importance to each (score out of ten).
- I did not have a med school integrated curriculum, studied for 6m with UWorld, FA, Pathoma, Sketchy and scored 80+.

Main Resources
UWorld: focus on understanding the questions you do rather than the score or total number of questions. (10/10)
First Aid for Step I: Use it as your guide as you go through UWorld (and Pathoma videos). (10/10)
Pathoma: Just watch all the lectures. Some you'll have to watch multiple times. (8/10 - annotated in FA; never used the text book provided)

Supplemental Resources
Sketchy Micro: I know they have a bunch more stuff now, but the micro part of it has been critical for many people. (8/10 - game changer for me)
USMLE Step I Secrets: Q&A style approach that some may find helpful. (6/10)
Comprehensive lecture series : Doctors In Training, Kaplan, etc. Some people found this useful. (5/10)
Anki: Some flashcard software thing. (2/10 I'm not a flashcard kinda dude)
Golijan: More path lectures. Some people swear by it. (-/10 I never tried it)

Also, "65+" really should not be the goal at this stage. The CBSE has been implemented as a part of the application process for a while now and scores of matched applicants is trending up. A 65 does not correlate to a pass on the Step 1 anymore. 70 should be the minimum goal. Sure some people will match with a 66 or a 68, but you'd be fighting an uphill battle in most circumstances. When I was interviewing a couple years ago most applicants I met on the trail were 75+.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Spent about 4 months studying while working full time. Got a 70 and was eight years out of dental school

Non med school-based curriculum. Studied for about 4-5 mo and got a 78, first attempt.
Edit for study resources: UWorld (a must), First Aid, Pathoma, USMLERx

Did you feel like Rx helped a lot?
USMLE Rx is good to use if you have time, and I'd use it prior to UWorld to try and "memorize" as much of First Aid as possible. Ultimately, UW is the go to question bank.

Did you feel like Rx helped a lot?

I personally felt that it helped me a lot. I liked practice questions for studying rather than trying to "memorize" a whole book. Once you really get into First Aid, you realize there's no way you can memorize that much of it. I did as many practice questions as I could get my hands on.