CBSE studying clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desertrat12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm an D1 and want to keep my hopes alive for omfs if I continue to remain in love with it. This being the case I've been trying to read up on how to best stay ready. I've read two conflicting ideas about the cbse that I hope I can get some clarification on.

1. Don't study during D1, worthless to attempt it (basically)
2. Don't formally study during D1 BUT get the prep materials and sort of follow along with the them and relevant dental course work

Any thoughts of which if these two ideas is more beneficial?

I hope I'm not reposting something, if so sorry! Just trying to wrap my head around how to best be prepared.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does your dental school take classes with medical students?
If not, you will have to basically learn like 75-80% of the material for the CBSE from scratch on your own when you begin studying. Go with option #2, and worry about keeping your grades up (focus more on your dental coursework and labwork), and study for the CBSE a few months out. You'll also probably want to take it at least twice, but study as hard as you can for the 1st attempt so you can smash it the 2nd time (having built a strong foundation for Test 1)

Does your dental school take classes with medical students?
If not, you will have to basically learn like 75-80% of the material for the CBSE from scratch on your own when you begin studying. Go with option #2, and worry about keeping your grades up (focus more on your dental coursework and labwork), and study for the CBSE a few months out. You'll also probably want to take it at least twice, but study as hard as you can for the 1st attempt so you can smash it the 2nd time (having built a strong foundation for Test 1)

Do you mean study for the cbse a fees months out from taking it?

My school does not take classes with the Med students, it did a couple years ago but this has changed. We take boards the fall of D2, would I be late to begin studying for the cbse during Christmas break of D2?

Thanks for the pointers, following along with cbse study books and figuring out how to be a dental student seems daunting, but I appreciate the honest response.