CBT 8 Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apoptos

purulent & supple
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the rules are very strict here about reproducing and discussing questions on the CBTs, so I'll try to be careful here...
but I was completely unfamiliar with one of the symbols used in a PS question and I'm not sure - is it the browser I'm using or am I just completely ignorant?
I'll leave out the question, which was about refraction, and just attach a piece without explanation. I mean, I'm not even sure how to reproduce this symbol on this site if it IS my browser. Can someone offer their 2 cents?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• grab_1.jpg
    grab_1.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 42
I know the rules are very strict here about reproducing and discussing questions on the CBTs, so I'll try to be careful here...
but I was completely unfamiliar with one of the symbols used in a PS question and I'm not sure - is it the browser I'm using or am I just completely ignorant?
I'll leave out the question, which was about refraction, and just attach a piece without explanation. I mean, I'm not even sure how to reproduce this symbol on this site if it IS my browser. Can someone offer their 2 cents?

That wasn't on the computer, it was your browser that misinterpreted the symbols. Try in internet explorer and it should work.

Well it's kind of a silly situation, but I'd much rather use an Intel Mac w/Safari (IE was discontinued), because the PC I have access to keeps sending me pop-ups during the exam (!).

Do you happen to know what this symbol is supposed to be? A theta maybe?

As you can guess around 30 minutes in I was thinking "What the #$@! is this!?"

Hey, I took CBT-8 and most of the others on a MAC. You're going to find stuff like that. I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be a q' (prime) ... you can match the symbol on the diagram they give you for the light refraction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great.
You have two coins totaling 35 q', but one of them is not a dime. What is the index of refraction?

just look at the figure for that problem. there are three variables: theta, theta prime, and alpha. since alpha came out fine in the answer choices, that leaves you two things that q and q cents could be. since the format is going to screw up for each thing it is supposed to be, the q with the extra thing (cents sign) is the theta with the extra thing (prime).