DoctorDan24

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I am not sure if this has been posted before, but has anyone considered the influence the CBT will have on the Aug 2006 MCAT? I personally know several people that are going to take it even though they are not ready. They are doing this because they have been studying for the paper MCAT and are scared to death of the CBT switch. I am curious to see how many people will try and take the last paper MCAT in history? I know the average is 30k, so if there is 40k this August, how is that going to alter the curve? I also know that the April MCAT had an average of a full point higher then the last year. Is this part of the CBT effect already? Thoughts anyone?

IckeyShuffle

MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
well the curves are based off previous administrations of the test (when passages were used as experimental). So regardless of how many people take it, the curve will not be affected. A ten this august translates to a ten in any other sitting. The curve isnt based off the current test administration. If it were solely based on those you are testing against, the average would always be a 24. Clearly this past april it was not.

hadokenny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
I dont think having more people taking hte test will have any adverse effects. It will only help. Frist of all, the curve will be even MORE normalized with more people taking it. Secondly, like you said, a lot of people are taking it even though they dont feel like they are 100% prepared because this is the last paper MCAT. So there will be more people at the lower end of the curve, which will only help the people that are prepared.

About the Ads

Pdiddy310

Med School 4.0
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
the Pale Blue Dot
Status
Attending Physician
hadokenny said:
I dont think having more people taking hte test will have any adverse effects. It will only help. Frist of all, the curve will be even MORE normalized with more people taking it. Secondly, like you said, a lot of people are taking it even though they dont feel like they are 100% prepared because this is the last paper MCAT. So there will be more people at the lower end of the curve, which will only help the people that are prepared.
what's an MCAT? :laugh:

WilliamsF1

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
allennh said:
well the curves are based off previous administrations of the test (when passages were used as experimental). So regardless of how many people take it, the curve will not be affected. A ten this august translates to a ten in any other sitting. The curve isnt based off the current test administration. If it were solely based on those you are testing against, the average would always be a 24. Clearly this past april it was not.
So the experimental passages are reused at a later time for non-experimental purposes? That doesn't sound like too great of an idea. Some people are very good at remembering passages and questions and that would give out questions/answers to the next MCAT. Plus, if someone steals an exam somehow, it's over. Did the AAMC say they do it this way?

About the Ads