Cbt Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brcarthey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the CBT (computer-based test) version of the MCAT? If so, do you have any studying or test taking tips for it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

dude, i don't think anyone has taken the cbt mcat as acccording to the aamc web site "In April 2005, the AAMC is offering the MCAT in a Computer-Based Format (CBT) in a limited number of U.S. cities...."

pros:

1) small size. there will be a limited number of computers. there won't be 150 people or more in one lecture hall.
2) these are probably centers that have done cbt before and have quiet testing rooms specifically designed for cbt.
3) you may be sitting in some kind of cube as to shield answers from the people on either side of you and this could be good for focusing on the test.
4) the essays are typed increasing readability. but who cares about the essays anyways.

cons:
1) breaks will effectively be shorter as you won't get extra time for moving 150 people in and out of a room.
2) there will be an amout of unpredicatbility as there is really no way I know to practice this format. you won't have to learn how to bubble in answers, but you will have to learn how to do cbt answering.
3) you will be staring at emitted light (monitor) for a long time which may fatigue your eyes as compared to staring at paper which only reflect lights. but if they have flat screens than this is not an issue really.
4) the room may be too small for comfort.
5) this is the first time aamc is doing this.

overall it is probably not worth it. just find a testing center that is quiet and small.

They've offered it at least twice before as a pilot program. I've signed up for it--I'm traveling to San Francisco to take it (I live in LA). I think the ability to control the timing will be a big plus, and I really, really, really hate writing things by hand (I know the writing section doesn't matter, but I don't want to have to go through that!). The computer screen issue is fine for me as I currently do computational work and spend all day in front of a screen anyway. As far as practice, my impression was that the experience would be the same as taking the web-based practice tests from e-mcat.com, but I haven't verified that with AAMC and could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
This week, the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) announced that beginning sometime in 2007 the MCAT is changing from a paper-and-pencil test to a computer-based test (CBT).

If you are taking the MCAT in 2005 or 2006, this change will not impact you: you will still take the traditional paper-and-pencil exam.

For those of you planning to take the MCAT in 2007 or later, know this about the changes: they aren't a big deal. Mostly, the changes will make the MCAT more convenient for you:

The CBT will still be timed sections and the content will be identical to the paper exam. You simply complete the test on a computer rather than with a pencil on a bubble sheet.

CBT tests will be offered more frequently, perhaps up to 20 test dates per year as opposed to the 2 dates now.

You'll take the MCAT in a more comfortable setting…think "computer lab."

You'll get your MCAT scores faster - possibly in half the time.

Likely the test will be shorter, around 5 hours rather than the 8 hours the test is now.

Remember, there will be no changes to the MCAT over the next two years, so there is no impact on students preparing to take the MCAT in 2005 or 2006.

For more information about the changes to the MCAT, visit our MCAT update page. We'll keep you informed when AAMC makes more announcements and finalizes their plans.

maaan...20 test dates instead of 2.....5 hours instead of 8........aaahh!!

according to the AAMC MCAT Essentials, the test center will supply industrial ear covers :)