CBT practice v. book practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwc929

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the advice I am getting for reviewing for the MCAT has been through books. Other than AAMC CBTs, are there any recommendations on good computer practice sets or are books still the way to go? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the advice I am getting for reviewing for the MCAT has been through books. Other than AAMC CBTs, are there any recommendations on good computer practice sets or are books still the way to go? Thanks in advance

I really wouldn't worry about CBTs if you are in the initial or middle stages of your preparations. In these stages its just important to understand the passages and questions than worrying about the ticking clock.

Save the vast majority of your practice tests for the last month and maybe do one at the half way point. In the meantime, focus on doing practice passages. If you have the money, go for Kaplan's online course strictly for the practice problems (tons and tons of practice problems). They also give you full access to the AAMC and Kaplan FLs. Two practice books you should definitely pick up are EK's 101 verbal and 1001 Bio books.

Save the vast majority of your practice tests for the last month and maybe do one at the half way point. In the meantime, focus on doing practice passages. If you have the money, go for Kaplan's online course strictly for the practice problems (tons and tons of practice problems). They also give you full access to the AAMC and Kaplan FLs. Two practice books you should definitely pick up are EK's 101 verbal and 1001 Bio books.

Just bio or physical as well? Are they equally as helpful? My only concern is that I heard they are not written in passage format...

Just bio or physical as well? Are they equally as helpful? My only concern is that I heard they are not written in passage format...
Bio is passage based in EK. Just don't let some of the questions get to you b/c there are questions that are outside of the scope of the MCAT for sure, IMHO.