CBT vs Paper Test? Kind of urgent... :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kathyc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Yall, given my financial situation I haven't registered for the MCAT yet. The deadline is tomorrow, so I am likely going to register tonight or tomorrow morning, but I am confounded as to which test to choose, the paper based or the CBT. I have taken all standardized tests (ACT, SAT, LSAT) as a paper format, so obviously I am comfortable with that, but being a child of the 90's I am very comfortable with technology and mainly interested in being able to type rather than write my writing samples. (one was bad enough on the LSAT insofar as wrist crampage, but two?? Good Lord....) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight as to which may be a better choice. Particularly, how does the CBT allow one to go back to harder questions later? Basically, I'm sure many of you have taken tests where you mark a star or something next to the really tricky problems and then turn back to them when you've completed the easier "gimme" questions. Any further insight anyone has on the CBT vs PBT issue would be most appreciated. Thank you all so much!!!

Kathy :luck:

PS In preparation for the MCAT I have thus far read a Chemistry text, half a Biology text and plan on reading an O-Chem text and a Physics text. Anything else you guys think I should add??? Please let me know. Thanks again!!

Members don't see this ad.

kathyc said:
Hey Yall, given my financial situation I haven't registered for the MCAT yet. The deadline is tomorrow, so I am likely going to register tonight or tomorrow morning, but I am confounded as to which test to choose, the paper based or the CBT. I have taken all standardized tests (ACT, SAT, LSAT) as a paper format, so obviously I am comfortable with that, but being a child of the 90's I am very comfortable with technology and mainly interested in being able to type rather than write my writing samples. (one was bad enough on the LSAT insofar as wrist crampage, but two?? Good Lord....) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight as to which may be a better choice. Particularly, how does the CBT allow one to go back to harder questions later? Basically, I'm sure many of you have taken tests where you mark a star or something next to the really tricky problems and then turn back to them when you've completed the easier "gimme" questions. Any further insight anyone has on the CBT vs PBT issue would be most appreciated. Thank you all so much!!!

PS In preparation for the MCAT I have thus far read a Chemistry text, half a Biology text and plan on reading an O-Chem text and a Physics text. Anything else you guys think I should add??? Please let me know. Thanks again!!

Are you sure the CBT sites are still open? When I tried to register for the CBT a few weeks ago, all of the ones in Florida were already closed.

I pushed up my schedule to take the August '06 MCAT because it was the last PBT being offered....

That being said, I'm registered to take it on Computer because I decided I have no desire to write that much and risk screwing up the bubble sheet...plus I have little tolerance for waiting for slow proctors, etc...

all my studying has been at my pace, so that's how I want to take the test...and I want to be cracking a beer by 3:30 or so on 8/19 instead of driving an hour and a half home after getting out of the test at 6pm.

The CBT is offered about 6 blocks from my house...PBT 1.5 hours away.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you finish a section it will tell you which questions are unanswered, it is a table of questions. I think you caneven mark ones as answered but would like to look at again or something to that affect. I took the cbt inApril and it was much better IMO.

Marcia

go lakers said:
i would stay away from full texts and get some prep books.

Thanks for all of your responses guys, I am just reading these texts to get a foundation, I did buy the Kaplan Premier or something like that... so you guys would recommend I forgo the texts in favor of just blazing through that book instead? I'd obviously much rather read 1000 or so pages than 3000 or so pages.... :)

Thanks again everyone and keep the suggestions/info coming, it is all very much appreciated!!!!

Definitely forgo texts for the prep books, especially with about a month to go. Use texts as back-up only when you don't understand a topic or need some more detail to feel comfortable with the material. At this point, start taking practice tests too. Good luck!

mdille2 said:
When you finish a section it will tell you which questions are unanswered, it is a table of questions. I think you caneven mark ones as answered but would like to look at again or something to that affect. I took the cbt inApril and it was much better IMO.

Marcia

I was leaning towards the PBT but after reading your post, I think I'll settle for the CBT. thanx! :thumbup:

btw, do they allow you to wear your own ear plugs during testing or do you have to wear those oversized ear muffs ?

^ You need their headsets, unfortunately.