CBT vs. Paper Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bedlam17

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only going to have just finished my sophomore year by the August 2006 MCAT, the last time the paper version of the MCAT will be administered.

I would prefer to take the paper version so I can write on the test, especially so I can cross out wrong answers and do process of elimination and not accidentally choose an answer I initially decided to be wrong. However, I probably won't be quite as prepared for the MCAT if I take it in August 2006 as in the normal date of April 2007. What was your experience with the CBT like (I'm assuming people who respond took the CBT)?

Members don't see this ad.

Why wouldn't you be as prepared? WOuld you have all of the pre-reqs done? If so, a solid 3 months of studying will get you up to snuff. I am in your same situation and plan on taking the paper test.

BrettBatchelor said:
Why wouldn't you be as prepared? WOuld you have all of the pre-reqs done? If so, a solid 3 months of studying will get you up to snuff. I am in your same situation and plan on taking the paper test.

exactly. If you will have taken all pre-reqs and have done well then go ahead and take it. You'll be fine.

i'm in the exact same situation, except i'll have to take physics II the same summer of the last paper test to have all my pre-reqs covered. but i figure everything will be more fresh in my mind than if i waited until the following spring....

that, and the fact that i, like you, really need to be able to write on the test. im still having trouble deciding for sure, though... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
this is the only thread i saw fit to whine in, but man im really frustrated right now, i forgot to register for the aug MCAT through all the studying I was doing, ok i didnt forget i just put it off cuz i didnt realize or even think about the deadline, so now im f'd for applying for '06. Does anyone have any ideas, is there ANYTHING i can do , get an exception or SOMEthing, im flipping out and really dont know what to do. :( sorry you guys have to hear my whining...

oh and when will they start doing cbt like all the time? i know they have one simultaneously w/this augusts paper mcat but does anyone know when it will start on a regular basis or will it FOREVER be twice a year on cbt eventually?

arfster said:
this is the only thread i saw fit to whine in, but man im really frustrated right now, i forgot to register for the aug MCAT through all the studying I was doing, ok i didnt forget i just put it off cuz i didnt realize or even think about the deadline, so now im f'd for applying for '06. Does anyone have any ideas, is there ANYTHING i can do , get an exception or SOMEthing, im flipping out and really dont know what to do. :( sorry you guys have to hear my whining...

oh and when will they start doing cbt like all the time? i know they have one simultaneously w/this augusts paper mcat but does anyone know when it will start on a regular basis or will it FOREVER be twice a year on cbt eventually?

There is absolutely nothing you can do to take it this year. AMCAS is very strict on these things, and since registration has been open since June (if not earlier), I doubt they would ever make an exception. That sucks, though. I guess you'll be the first one registered come February.

The MCAT will go solely computer-based in 2007. With doing this, they are hoping to be able to provide more testing dates rather than just April and August, and they are also hoping to get scores out to students sooner. They were supposed to start this in 2006, but they didn't anticipate the amount of questions they would have to have to administer different exams at multiple times in the year. It's still up in the air when they will have 3+ testing dates, but it's all CBT is 2007.