CC and AP Limitations (US Dental Schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austinsanity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a list I compiled of community college and advanced placements limits and conditions for prospective US dental school students. Schools that aren't listed have no restrictions according to the source I utilized (ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools 2008 - For Students Entering in Fall 2009)).

UASD – 60 hr. CC credit limit
ASDOH – Maximum 90 CC credits
LLU – 64 hr. CC credit limit
UCLA – 70 hr. CC credit limit, 3 semester/4 quarter hour limit on prereq AP credit, no elective AP credit
USCF- 70 hr. CC credit limit, partial AP credit for chemistry, biology, and physics prereqs (check website)
UoP – AP credit for prereqs assessed on individual basis
USC – 100 hr. CC credit limit, 60 hr. AP credit allowance
Western – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP allowed for prereqs or electives
Colorado – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP allowed for prereqs or electives (considered on individual basis)
Howard – No CC prereq or elective credit allowed (maximum of 10 total undergrad CC credits), No AP credit accepted for prereqs or electives
Nova – 60 hr. CC credit limit
Florida – Applicants encouraged to take prereq courses at university level
Georgia – Maximum 90 CC credits
SIU – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit allowed for prereqs
UIC – No AP credit allowed for prereqs
Indiana – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit allowed for prereqs
UI – 60 hr. CC credit limit, biology and chemistry at 4-year institution preferred
Kentucky – No CC elective credit, 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP elective credit
Louisville – 60 hr. CC credit limit, AP taken if also accepted by undergraduate program
Maryland – 60 hr. CC credit limit
BU – No CC for prereqs, 30 hr. CC credit limit, No AP for prereqs
Harvard – 60 hr. CC credit limit, AP Calculus and one English course allowed, 4-year institution preferred for prereqs
Tufts – No CC credit allowed, No AP credit for prereqs (must take them at 4-year institution)
Detroit Mercy – 60 hr. CC credit limit, upper level courses in discipline equal to AP credit taken recommended
Michigan – 60 hr. CC credit limit, Applicant must receive AP credit on transcript
Minnesota – 64 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit for electives
Mississippi – 60 hr. CC credit limit
UMKC – No CC prereq credit, 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Creighton – No CC prereq credit, 64 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Nebraska – No CC credit accepted, 30 hr. CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit
UNLV – 60 CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit
UMDNJ – No AP prereq credit
Columbia – 60 hr. CC credit limit
NYU – No CC prereq credit, 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit, students with AP science credit expected to take higher level courses in that discipline
Stony Brook – 60 hr. CC credit limit
UNC – 64 hr. CC credit limit
Case – 30 hr. CC credit limit
Ohio St. – No CC prereq credit, No AP prereq credit
OU – No AP prereq credit (English and Psychology are exceptions)
OHSU – 32 hr. CC credit limit, AP credit on official transcript accepted
UPenn – 60 hr. CC credit limit, AP credit on official transcript accepted
Pittsburgh – 30 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted (credits counted)
Temple – No CC prereq credit, 6 hr. CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit
MUSC – 10 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Meharry – 6 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Tennessee – No AP credit accepted
Baylor – 60 hr. CC credit limit
Houston – 60 hr. CC credit limit
San Antonio – No AP credit generally accepted (check website)
VCU – 60 hr. CC credit limit
WVU – 72 hr. CC credit limit, AP credit for English requirements only
Marquette – No CC prereq credit, 52 hr. CC credit limit, AP credit accepted but subject to change at discretion of admissions committee

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, thanks a million, I thought I was going to have to do all this research myself! :thumbup:

Oh, and quick question, the ones where you don't have anything listed about AP credits, do those accept AP, or did you just not get that info?

And wow, looks like I am screwed at many schools. I got AP credit for freshman English, plus AP credit for Physics I and already took Physics II at the university level, so am I expected to just go backwards and take Physics I even though I already did Physics II (and go back and take baby English)?!?

Last edited:
Wow, thanks a million, I thought I was going to have to do all this research myself! :thumbup:

Oh, and quick question, the ones where you don't have anything listed about AP credits, do those accept AP, or did you just not get that info?

And wow, looks like I am screwed at many schools. I got AP credit for freshman English, plus AP credit for Physics I and already took Physics II at the university level, so am I expected to just go backwards and take Physics I even though I already did Physics II (and go back and take baby English)?!?

If I didn't mention anything specific about a school, it means no worries. All the info is there; there wasn't anything unavailable.

Yeah, physics might present a problem for you. There's a decent number of programs that you can apply to without having to worry about it though. :thumbup: However, you can pretty much forget about schools like Tufts unless you want to go back and take Physics I at an accredited 4-year institution. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
If I didn't mention anything specific about a school, it means no worries. All the info is there; there wasn't anything unavailable.

Yeah, physics might present a problem for you. There's a decent number of programs that you can apply to without having to worry about it though. :thumbup: However, you can pretty much forget about schools like Tufts unless you want to go back and take Physics I at an accredited 4-year institution. :thumbdown:

Thanks again. I really don't foresee having any room in my course schedule the next year (my last year) to go back and take physics I, so do you think I would be best off not even wasting $/time applying to schools that don't take AP credit? Or is it possible to slip by?

Thanks again. I really don't foresee having any room in my course schedule the next year (my last year) to go back and take physics I, so do you think I would be best off not even wasting $/time applying to schools that don't take AP credit? Or is it possible to slip by?

No, the admissions committees tend to strictly adhere to their policies. If taking physics won't be an option, I'd say don't apply to any schools that won't take AP credit.

You're in FL so I can tell you off the top of my head that Nova is a viable option. FL is as well even though they recommend university-level prerequisites. They'll see that you took Physics II and may cut you some slack. If weather is a factor for you, you can try the AZ schools and some of the CA ones too. For instance, MWU has no limitations at all. Physics shouldn't affect you much there.

I'm assuming that most schools want to see you do the majority of your courework at a 4-year institution even if they do take CC and AP credit. I doubt having taken Physics I will hurt you at places that'll accept it (especially since you too Physics II in college), but you should definitely avoid the ones that want all college credit for the four main sciences.

Last edited:
UCLA – 70 hr. CC credit limit, 3 semester/4 quarter hour limit on prereq AP credit, no elective AP credit
USCF- 70 hr. CC credit limit, partial AP credit for chemistry, biology, and physics prereqs (check website)
UoP – AP credit for prereqs assessed on individual basis
Western – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP allowed for prereqs or electives
Colorado – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP allowed for prereqs or electives (considered on individual basis)
Howard – No CC prereq or elective credit allowed (maximum of 10 total undergrad CC credits), No AP credit accepted for prereqs or electives
SIU – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit allowed for prereqs
UIC – No AP credit allowed for prereqs
Indiana – 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit allowed for prereqs
UI – 60 hr. CC credit limit, biology and chemistry at 4-year institution preferred
BU – No CC for prereqs, 30 hr. CC credit limit, No AP for prereqs
Harvard – 60 hr. CC credit limit, AP Calculus and one English course allowed, 4-year institution preferred for prereqs
Tufts – No CC credit allowed, No AP credit for prereqs (must take them at 4-year institution)
UMKC – No CC prereq credit, 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Creighton – No CC prereq credit, 64 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Nebraska – No CC credit accepted, 30 hr. CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit
UNLV – 60 CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit
UMDNJ – No AP prereq credit
NYU – No CC prereq credit, 60 hr. CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit, students with AP science credit expected to take higher level courses in that discipline
Ohio St. – No CC prereq credit, No AP prereq credit
OU – No AP prereq credit (English and Psychology are exceptions)
Pittsburgh – 30 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted (credits counted)
Temple – No CC prereq credit, 6 hr. CC credit limit, No AP prereq credit
MUSC – 10 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Meharry – 6 hr. CC credit limit, No AP credit accepted
Tennessee – No AP credit accepted
San Antonio – No AP credit generally accepted (check website)
WVU – 72 hr. CC credit limit, AP credit for English requirements only

Community college credits probably aren't a factor for nearly as many applicants as advanced placement credits are, so here are the schools where considering AP is most important. They either don't take them, have specific conditions, or highly recommend university-level courses.

Your best bet would be to call and ask the schools. Exceptions have been made before, though I'm sure some schools are more lenient than others.

Yes, many exceptions have been made. I think, as you said, that the schools are more strict on the no AP credit than the CC pre-reqs. Western even said that they wouldn't take my AP English to cover a semester of English, so they do mean business - while Pitt took my AP English even thought it says no AP.

As far as the unit limits go, I'm not too sure. I took nearly all of my pre-reqs at my CC before I transffered (Ochem, Gchem, Physics, etc), and I'm going to Pitt next year, and the book says it's a 30 unit limit, when I'm pretty sure the pre-reqs were more than 30. Also, Howard didn't have a problem with my pre-reqs at a CC.

This list is more of a guideline than a rule, and they're willing to bend it for applicants they like.

NYU – No CC prereq credit, 60 hr. CC credit limit
Howard – No CC prereq or elective credit allowed (maximum of 10 total undergrad CC credits),

I have 56 credits from CC and took most of pre requisites there.
Does that mean I can't apply to these three schools?

Last edited:
I'd go ahead and apply if you're interested in those schools, read my previous post about Howard. And although I was rejected from Case, it seemed to be because I applied late, not because of my CC pre-reqs.

NYU – No CC prereq credit, 60 hr. CC credit limit
Howard – No CC prereq or elective credit allowed (maximum of 10 total undergrad CC credits),

I have 56 credits from CC and took most of pre requisites there.
Does that mean I can't apply to these three schools?

I was wrong to make a generalized statement about schools and their specific admissions policies. I imagine some are more flexible than others. Tufts seems to be fairly strict when it comes to taking all prerequisites at accredited 4-year institutions, but as for others like Howard that are particular on paper, I don't know for sure.

If you've got CC and/or AP credits, you should call every school that you want to apply to and find out specifically what they will and will not recognize. Much of the ADEA book is mostly a conglomeration of guidelines rather than a set of unbreakable rules. However, at no point in the application process did I come across information or an experience that contradicted anything I read about in the guide.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a million - these are really helpful. :D

I know some schools want the AP score reports sent to them. Anyone know when these should be sent?

does this mean that if I have 65 units total from a community college in California that I will only be able to apply to some dental schools? my 65 units includes sociology and other classes that aren't pre reqs. so does that get used for the credit limit or just the pre reqs?

Does anyone know if Temple, NYU, and BU accepts CC credit? I know the table says they don't, but I was wondering if they are lenient about it. The only CC pre-req I took was Gen Chem 2 (5hrs), so I was wondering if they would overlook that. Thanks

I did an unrelated AA degree at a CC prior to returning to school after the military. I have alot of CC credits... yet hardly any transfered and i'm basically completing a whole four year degree in bio at University. Will this credit limit keep me from applying to these schools with a CC credit limit even though I'm only using about 10 credits from my AA to complete my BS?

What are these credit caps referring to? If an applicant completed 4 years at a university yet had more CC credits than listed are they disqualified?

I did an unrelated AA degree at a CC prior to returning to school after the military. I have alot of CC credits... yet hardly any transfered and i'm basically completing a whole four year degree in bio at University. Will this credit limit keep me from applying to these schools with a CC credit limit even though I'm only using about 10 credits from my AA to complete my BS?

What are these credit caps referring to? If an applicant completed 4 years at a university yet had more CC credits than listed are they disqualified?

Most often, they refer to the number of credits that they will take to complete their pre-reqs. In no way will having taken CC classes in the past effect you if you're not using them for your pre-reqs, and only in a few cases if you are.

Anyone know how AP credit plays into the 5 year rule for schools that accept AP credit for prereqs? I took my AP exam for one of the prereqs senior year of high school and my last semester of high school qualifies as being one semester beyond the five year time period. Thanks.

Anyone know how AP credit plays into the 5 year rule for schools that accept AP credit for prereqs? I took my AP exam for one of the prereqs senior year of high school and my last semester of high school qualifies as being one semester beyond the five year time period. Thanks.

I don't believe it is the same - if the school takes AP credit, I think they'd understand that it was in High School, and that sometimes people take an extra year or so.

Hi,

I have a question. I got A.S in Science at a CC with total of 76 credits. Now, I am going to 4-year university with 64 credits so far. Does it mean that I can't apply to any DS in the U.S?

I have been taken all of my Biology courses at 4-year University (except the first Bio).

I have a total of 7 credits in a local CC and my GPA lets just say is ideal for the big schools that take in OOS such as Tufts, BU etc. One of the classes I took was BIO 2. I was wondering whether I should take this class again or should I just take a chance and keep taking higher level bio courses.

I have a total of 7 credits in a local CC and my GPA lets just say is ideal for the big schools that take in OOS such as Tufts, BU etc. One of the classes I took was BIO 2. I was wondering whether I should take this class again or should I just take a chance and keep taking higher level bio courses.

I'm pretty sure that in the past, Tufts has been a stickler about the no CC pre-reqs, but if it's only one class, I'd call and ask.

Hi,

I have a question. I got A.S in Science at a CC with total of 76 credits. Now, I am going to 4-year university with 64 credits so far. Does it mean that I can't apply to any DS in the U.S?

I have been taken all of my Biology courses at 4-year University (except the first Bio).

There's nothing wrong with having classes at CC's - other than a few schools which think it's a big deal, but that's a small handful, if your top choice is one of these schools, such as Tufts, you may want to retake it, but I'd call and ask if you should retake the class.

If you've done all of the pre-reqs at a 4 year university, than even the stickler schools you should have no issue with.

I did more or less all of my pre-reqs at my CC before I transferred, and I got into a number of dental schools just fine.

There's nothing wrong with having classes at CC's - other than a few schools which think it's a big deal, but that's a small handful, if your top choice is one of these schools, such as Tufts, you may want to retake it, but I'd call and ask if you should retake the class.

If you've done all of the pre-reqs at a 4 year university, than even the stickler schools you should have no issue with.

I did more or less all of my pre-reqs at my CC before I transferred, and I got into a number of dental schools just fine.

Thank you Vicviper,

I took Cal I + II, Phys I + II, GenChem I + II , Orgo I + II and Bio Introduction at CC.
I took the rest of pre-reqs (and some more Biology courses) at 4-year University.

Hopefully, they don't make it as a big deal.

Thank you Vicviper,

I took Cal I + II, Phys I + II, GenChem I + II , Orgo I + II and Bio Introduction at CC.
I took the rest of pre-reqs (and some more Biology courses) at 4-year University.

Hopefully, they don't make it as a big deal.

Like I said before, it shouldn't be a huge issue at most schools - as long as when you did transfer, you did well in your upper division classes, as well as not doing extremely poorly in those sections on the DAT. But, for a handful of schools, like Tufts, applying would be throwing cash down the drain sadly. But, you never know unless you call and ask.

I must apologize for my ignorance, but when it states that some dental schools only allow X amount of CC hours. What does that mean exactly? What if I go over the allowed amount? (GEs, filler classes to take if I am not able to get in one of my needed courses.)

I must apologize for my ignorance, but when it states that some dental schools only allow X amount of CC hours. What does that mean exactly? What if I go over the allowed amount? (GEs, filler classes to take if I am not able to get in one of my needed courses.)

See, the thing is that for most schools, there is no hard and fast rule, so much of the time, this list doesn't actually mean much. I had nearly 80 units of CC credit before I transferred (not just pre-reqs and GE, but lots of PE and music classes taken over the years and such), including more or less all of the dental prereqs, and I was accepted at Columbia, which says it has a 60 credit limit, Pitt, which says it has a 30 credit limit, Howard, which says it allows not CC prereqs (of which all of mine were), and waitlisted at LLU, which claims a 64 credit limit.

In reality, most dental schools are willing to allow CC credit (even for pre-reqs) as long as your record after your transfer to a university is still solid, and you do decently on the DAT. There are a very small handful of schools which are strict on not taking CC credit, I believe Tufts is an example, and for those, yes, unless you take pre-reqs over at a university, you probably shouldn't apply there (though, call them first if that's your dream school).

See, the thing is that for most schools, there is no hard and fast rule, so much of the time, this list doesn't actually mean much. I had nearly 80 units of CC credit before I transferred (not just pre-reqs and GE, but lots of PE and music classes taken over the years and such), including more or less all of the dental prereqs, and I was accepted at Columbia, which says it has a 60 credit limit, Pitt, which says it has a 30 credit limit, Howard, which says it allows not CC prereqs (of which all of mine were), and waitlisted at LLU, which claims a 64 credit limit.

In reality, most dental schools are willing to allow CC credit (even for pre-reqs) as long as your record after your transfer to a university is still solid, and you do decently on the DAT. There are a very small handful of schools which are strict on not taking CC credit, I believe Tufts is an example, and for those, yes, unless you take pre-reqs over at a university, you probably shouldn't apply there (though, call them first if that's your dream school).

:thumbup:

There are some schools that probably have a more strict requirement against CC classes, but I've found that the "limit" isn't set in stone.

I'm confused about the "credit limit" thing.

I have around 75 credits from CC. If a school has a credit limit of 60 units on cc courses, will they not include 15 units of classes taken at CC in my GPA or part of my overall unit count?

So, basically if you take pre-reps at CC, you can't apply to these schools unless you retake.:

Howard
Tuff: No CC credits at all.
UMKC
NYU
Ohio
Temple
Marquette

Am I right?

I graduated this past Spring with a B.S. in psychology but I've recently decided that I want to go to dental school. I have taken bio 1 & 2, microbiology, human anatomy 1, calculus 1 & 2, and gen chem 1 at my 4 year university. I was thinking about taking orgo 1 & 2, gen chem 2, and physics 1 & 2 at my local community college. I've gotten all As and a couple of Bs in my classes but I was just hoping to save a couple of bucks by going to CC...Does that sound like a bad idea???

:eek:

I was thinking about taking orgo 1 & 2, gen chem 2, and physics 1 & 2 at my local community college. I've gotten all As and a couple of Bs in my classes but I was just hoping to save a couple of bucks by going to CC...Does that sound like a bad idea???

yes, it's a bad idea. Does your school have a"university of somethingsomething extension"?

I'm confused about the "credit limit" thing.

I have around 75 credits from CC. If a school has a credit limit of 60 units on cc courses, will they not include 15 units of classes taken at CC in my GPA or part of my overall unit count?
?

I actually got really freaked out by this forum so I went online and reenrolled at my university!! :D
Thanks for all your help!

I can't find the link on the San Antonio's website concerning AP credit. Could anyone link me up? =]

So, basically if you take pre-reps at CC, you can't apply to these schools unless you retake.:

Howard
Tuff: No CC credits at all.
UMKC
NYU
Ohio
Temple
Marquette

Am I right?

I would say so except that some have made updates/changes since OP.

NYU in the latest guide book allows up to 60 units, allows prereqs @ a CC but prefers them @ a 4 year school.

UMKC says yes and to contact admissions director for guidance.

the others stay the same. No prereqs @ a CC.

Hi
I have a question I am not sure anybody can help me
I was dentistry student in overseas,but I didnt finish my school but I almost pass the courses,Now I come here to start dental school again from the first,Dental school told me that I have to pass this prerequisites
  • 8 credits of biology courses with accompanying laboratory courses
  • 8 credits of inorganic/general chemistry with labs
  • 8 credits of organic chemistry with labs
  • 8 credits of physics with accompanying labs
  • 6 credits of English composition courses
Now I dont know that I have to take this courses in community college or I can take this AP exam or CLEP exam instead?
and if I have to take them in community college can take all of them in 2 semester like summer and fall?

thank you so much

I'm still confused as to what exactly the 60 CC unit limit is...

Can someone clarify what happens if you're above 60 CC units? Do any of the schools actually screen these applicants out?

Does the unit limit only apply to those without a 4 year degree? I'm a junior transfer.