CC, nite school- does it really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jintonic5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if i end up finishing my medical school pre reqs at a community college or at nite school, as opposed to a more prestigious university part time, does it matter? I mean, if i do well in these courses and prove myself on the mcat, how much does the name of the school matter as long as i've learned the material?

Members don't see this ad.

If you can get better scores at a no name school, I would say go for it. However, night classes are not the best choice. I took Orgo at night when we did not have anyone to teach it for the whole semester so school hired someone from outside to teach it. The teacher was good but every time I remeber that I was kind of tired and I always wanted to get out from that 3-hour hell.

i don't think it matters. i took a handful of classes at JCs and state schools during summer and post-grad, and i even got letters of rec from some JC professors. nobody ever even asked me about it during interviews. bottom line: boost your GPA if/where you can. i must say that JCs are considerably easier than most universities, and you should use that to your advantage.

I'd definitely check with the schools you plan on applying to before taking courses at a community college. I was thinking of doing the same thing, at least for some of the prereqs, but I emailed all the schools I was thinking of applying to this past Friday just to check and make sure they accepted the credits. Not all have replied yet, but the responses I've gotten so far from private schools have been almost exactly the same: They'll accept the credits, but they don't recommend it. In fact, a couple said outright that they look down on it. These are private schools though. I've gotten responses from two state schools, and both said that it didn't matter where I took the courses. At any rate, I'd definitely check. :)