CC Reseach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tipp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a community college student. are there any avenues available to get involved in research, without being a student at a large university with a medical center and all that?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a community college student. are there any avenues available to get involved in research, without being a student at a large university with a medical center and all that?

This is gonna very depending on your location. Though I didn't look all that hard, I was unable to find any around me, so I just decided to try and transfer as quickly as possible. It might be smarter to really focus on getting awesome clinical experience, something you can do, and then worry about research later.

Some CC professors do engage in research. You won't know if you don't ask. Ask psychology faculty as well as science. Ask the prehealth advisor if they are aware of any projects.

Alternatively, if there is a hospital in town, they may be engaging in multicenter drug trials for certain conditions, like cancer, heart disease, etc. You could call the hospital, ask if there is a research coordinator, and speak to that person about possible volunteer involvement.

My research methods (psych class) professor at a CC was able to do sports psychology research at the CC. I believed he was focusing on the efficacy of positive self-imagery of sports performance on actual sports performance. I was able to do a small research project that dealt with perception. I actually won an award for most unique research at a poster presentation for psych students in community colleges in the southern California area. Not sure how much weight that award has though. :D Don't expect to be working with fMRI or anything that would require lots of money.