CC to UC Transition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiktaalik34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently transferring to uc davis from a community college. I took an upper div genetics course and a pass/no pass health course during summer session 1 ( june-july) and received a 4.0. I plan on taking a light load during the fall since it is my first real quarter. I am enrolled in a foreign language class, stats for bio majors, and a biochem courses (12 total units).

I also shadowed an orthaepedic surgeon this summer and hope to start looking for research positions during the fall.

I was thinking of maybe adding in an internship since I'm only taking 12 units. The internship is 4 hrs per week and I will be getting 2-3 units added on to my transcript if I were to complete it I mainly want to start the internship in the fall so that I will only be doing research in the winter and spring... Should I do the internship? Or should I just take the 12 units and worry about the internship during the winter?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I transferred from a CC to a UC. If you went to a good CC, it shouldn't be a big shock. I found many of my CC classes to be more challenging than the UC classes. YMMV.

I transferred from a CC to a UC. If you went to a good CC, it shouldn't be a big shock. I found many of my CC classes to be more challenging than the UC classes. YMMV.

I did go to a good CC. I actually found my CC's bio class to be much more challenging than genetics at Davis.. I'm just trying not to jump the gun by doing too much my first quarter haha

Last edited:
I did go to a good CC. I actually found my CC's bio class to be much more challenging than genetics at Davis.. I'm just trying not to jump the fun by doing too much my first quarter haha

At 4 hours per week, I think you'll be okay. I was taking anywhere from 12-16 units and volunteered at the local ED 3-4 hours per week.

If you were a solid student at CC, 12 units at Davis will not be overwhelming, even if the pacing will be different (assuming you are going from a semester at CC to quarter at Davis), so 4 hours a week for your EC will not be excessive commitment. Most pre-med students I knew tended to average 15+ units and were doing student orgs + other ECs or jobs on the side when I was an undergrad at UCD.

Of course, not trying to generalize, but the Pre-Med Pre-req (BIS 101 for genetics) courses generally did not require the amount of studying the professors apparently expected you to put in, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user