Nov 29, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Applying next cycle to DO schools. I caught wind of some information claiming that replacement classes/grades are going under new changes. I wanted to check with you guys and make sure I am not taking this courses at my CC this year just to find out they will not replace my grades.

So, I am retaking Gen Chem 1 & Physics 1 right now. At my university they would split up lab and the lecture so for Gen Chem 1 (3 credits) and the lab was a separate class (1 credit) but at my CC they include the lecture and the lab (4 credits). The same structure goes for my physics course as well.

My question is: Is my 4 credit CC retake going to replace both the lecture and lab from my university or what?

*** I honestly didn't want to retake the lab because I did well on them despite doing poor in the class but my CC is making me as mentioned above.

Thanks guys!

Dec 1, 2014
New York, New York
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I suggest you call AACOMAS and clarify. There is also a FAQ on the application, you may find your answer there. There was a thread in this forum somewhere where a lot of people ran into the problem you described and later got the problem resolved. @Stephanopolous I think was one person who had that issue and maybe she can provide insight? For some reason i thought i reemmber seeing your name Steph in that thread. Sorry if i am wrong!

Reactions: Stephanopolous

Stephanopolous

5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2013
Upstate, NY
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
My retakes are actually identical in nature to yours. Here's what I suggest because yes I did run into many issues with them excepting my repeated courses. Call a,'s and explain your situation write down the date time and the person that you spoke with. In general I believe that yes you are able to have these count as retakes but with the amount of headaches that I went through I can't promise anything. What I will say is that because I had documentation of everyone who I spoke with I was able to get my situation resolved.

OP
A
Nov 29, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
My retakes are actually identical in nature to yours. Here's what I suggest because yes I did run into many issues with them excepting my repeated courses. Call a,'s and explain your situation write down the date time and the person that you spoke with. In general I believe that yes you are able to have these count as retakes but with the amount of headaches that I went through I can't promise anything. What I will say is that because I had documentation of everyone who I spoke with I was able to get my situation resolved.
Spoke to someone the other day and essentially she said that since they aren't going to "check" that it should be fine. Now that I think of it, that sounds strange. I will call again next week.

OP
A
Nov 29, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
What confuses me is that on the app you will have to press the option that ur 3 credit class and 1 credit lab class (2 classes technically) were retaken and then you only replace is with one course (the one from ur CC for 4 credits). So I assume AACOMAS will realize that a 4 credit course from a CC will replace a 3 credit course + 1 credit course (lab) from a typical University.