Aug 12, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi there, I'm currently a freshman in college at a public university in Florida and I'm not happy here. It's online, but I had the opportunity to visit the campus earlier in the year and I really did NOT like it at all. I don't vibe with it, there are too many undergraduates (upwards of 35k here) and it's impossible to stand out here. I also don't like the fact that I'm literally just a number here. I don't want to go to classes where there is 300+ people in each class and I hate the school colors and mascot. I have a full-tuition scholarship but it's meaningless because almost everyone gets this state-funded scholarship and tuition is under $7k here; I still have to pay over $15k for dorm and other necessities and the financial aid here is absolute garbage. Also, no one from here gets into any medical schools other than local unranked in-state ones from what I've heard.

It's currently drop/add week and it ends Friday at 11:59 pm so I can just drop all of my classes and enroll in community college without any penalties. I want to take the transfer route regardless of if I go to CC or continue this university (after one year). At CC I plan on taking some general classes like Chem, Bio, English, Psych, Stats and I'll try to avoid taking some of the main pre-reqs like biochemistry or physics. I believe I can get a higher GPA at a CC because I know at my 4-year institution some of these courses are really hard. I could possibly get a much higher GPA overall for medical school applications as well. If I'm going to be transferring after one year at my current uni I'm wondering if it's even worth it to attend classes there. I'm just trying to save some money at CC and to do better in my classes. Plus, my mental health is pretty bad right now so I think easing my way into college would be right for me.

I would appreciate any sort of advice as I have to make this decision within the next two days.

candbgirl

Lifetime Donor
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Did you post this same story a few weeks ago? Has anything changed since then? Have you tried any of the suggestions presented in your original post? If you really want to transfer just do it, but don’t take any prereqs at the CC. Just take gen ed classes! Your reasons for transferring are questionable. You actually decided you were going to be unhappy several weeks ago at least. To transfer because you don’t like the school colors or the mascot , well... And I am sure students from your school do in fact get into medical school each cycle. But understand only around 42% of all applicants get into any med school each cycle. So nobody is guaranteed an acceptance
If, as you say, your mental health is pretty bad then do what you have to do to take care of that first! Get some help and figure things out .Maybe you shouldn’t even enroll anyplace this semester!

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 12, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm mostly worried about the costs and the sheer number of undergraduates here. Too many undergraduates and financial aid is really bad here. Plus, there are a lot of limitations; there isn't a minor available for some areas I'm interested in. My mental health is mainly bad because I don't really want to attend this institution; it's really hard to be in classes with hundreds of people and I don't learn best that way.

If I do choose CC, why can't I take pre-reqs? I know for transferring a lot of schools have different requirements, like there's a few universities here that require Gen Chem 1 and 2, Gen Bio 1 and 2, English, Stats, and a lot more pre-requisites to transfer so I'm not sure how to avoid that.

About the Ads
Mar 14, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm mostly worried about the costs and the sheer number of undergraduates here. Too many undergraduates and financial aid is really bad here. Plus, there are a lot of limitations; there isn't a minor available for some areas I'm interested in. My mental health is mainly bad because I don't really want to attend this institution; it's really hard to be in classes with hundreds of people and I don't learn best that way.

If I do choose CC, why can't I take pre-reqs? I know for transferring a lot of schools have different requirements, like there's a few universities here that require Gen Chem 1 and 2, Gen Bio 1 and 2, English, Stats, and a lot more pre-requisites to transfer so I'm not sure how to avoid that.
What costs? You have a full tuition scholarship and are taking classes online!!! :)

Your post sounds exactly like what it is. You're not as thrilled with UF as when you decided to enroll, and are disillusioned over the fact that they don't place as many students at Harvard Medical School as Harvard College does. Yeah, a lot of hype in FL about Top 10 public school!! Fine, so transfer.

Hiding in a CC, where you won't have to deal with the pre-med competition at UF, is not as slick a move as you seem to think. Your As at a CC won't carry the same weight, which is why you are being advised to not take any prereqs there, not just biochem and physics. There are no "main" prereqs and "other" prereqs; there are just prereqs!

Med schools will make allowances for some low SES candidates who, for one reason or another, need to enroll in a CC. Not so much for a full scholarship Florida student who wants to escape the competition of a 4 year school, and doesn't like orange or gators. Either stay at UF or transfer. Either go to a CC now or don't.

But, I promise you, As in prereqs at a CC will not help you get into med school, so don't take them there!! Med schools don't like them for the same reason you want to take them -- they're way easier than in a 4 year school. The level of student isn't the same, and the level of rigor of the class consequently isn't the same. Gen Bio might be a weed out class at UF, but it certainly isn't at Miami-Dade CC!!!

Since you were enrolled, I am pretty sure there is a clearinghouse that AMCAS uses to verify transcripts that will disclose that you were enrolled, even if it was only for two minutes, when the time comes, so this whole plan of yours just might blow up in your face whenever you end up applying.

Sep 6, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm a cc transfer applying now so I'm no expert, but I will say take care of your mental health. If you need to leave your institution and comeback later or go to a different one, I think you'll be fine.

CC saves a boatload of money and allowed me to finish college without debt so yes that's a plus. A downside of CC is there aren't as many research and other premed opportunities. Also there's not as many premeds or premed advisors so it can be hard to know where you stand or what you should be doing. I will say the profs at 4-year uni are "harder" but the truth is they are trying to prep the students for professional school since most students are headed there.

I took most of my prereqs at cc, but when I transferred I took upper level sciences like biochem, immunology, micro, anatomy, etc. and still did alright.

Aug 12, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
What costs? You have a full tuition scholarship and are taking classes online!!! :)

Well, for now I don't have many costs, but when it comes time to go back to campus I'm going to have to cough up over $20k somehow for all the costs of being there (mostly dorming) or take out loans since they don't give great financial aid. I talked to the financial aid advisers and they are really stingy despite me being very low-income. I don't know how feasible it is for me to pay for that or to take out that much in loans just to attend this school. I would rather go to a private school like UM that actually meets full financial need and has a much better support system overall.

Your post sounds exactly like what it is. You're not as thrilled with UF as when you decided to enroll, and are disillusioned over the fact that they don't place as many students at Harvard Medical School as Harvard College does. Yeah, a lot of hype in FL about Top 10 public school!! Fine, so transfer.

I don't want to stay in-state for medical school and I want other options. I also don't like UF at all: I only chose it because it was the cheapest but in hindsight I should've just gone to one of the privates that I got into and just taken out much more loans so I can be more happy.

Hiding in a CC, where you won't have to deal with the pre-med competition at UF, is not as slick a move as you seem to think. Med schools will make allowances for some low SES candidates who, for one reason or another, need to enroll in a CC. Not so much for a full scholarship Florida student who wants to escape the competition of a 4 year school, and doesn't like orange or gators.

I'm not trying to escape the competition of it. I'm just trying to avoid paying the $28k price tag and the about $15k a year (for when I go to campus) I have to take out federal loans just to attend this school. I would for sure receive much more generous financial aid packages from different schools. I don't want to go to a school where there's over ten thousand premeds and it makes it impossible to get advising or any research/volunteering opportunities. Literally any other school would be better, such as UM since it has a much smaller population and more opportunities.

Since you were enrolled, I am pretty sure there is a clearinghouse that AMCAS uses to verify transcripts that will disclose that you were enrolled, even if it was only for two minutes, when the time comes, so this whole plan of yours just might blow up in your face whenever you end up applying.

But if it's for a financial reason I'm sure they would understand. I had a lot of delays getting my financial aid package. I had to commit before I even received mine because I'm first-gen low-income so my mother never knew how to fill out the financial aid documents properly so I had to go through many hours of talking to financial aid people at the school and I got it all sorted at around early August and received my package. I committed because I was under the impression that they would give me a decent financial aid package and with bright futures I thought I wouldn't have to worry about paying for college at all, however, it looks like my guidance counselors were wrong about that and gave me the wrong information.

Mar 14, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Well, for now I don't have many costs, but when it comes time to go back to campus I'm going to have to cough up over $20k somehow for all the costs of being there (mostly dorming) or take out loans since they don't give great financial aid. I talked to the financial aid advisers and they are really stingy despite me being very low-income. I don't know how feasible it is for me to pay for that or to take out that much in loans just to attend this school. I would rather go to a private school like UM that actually meets full financial need and has a much better support system overall.

I don't want to stay in-state for medical school and I want other options. I also don't like UF at all: I only chose it because it was the cheapest but in hindsight I should've just gone to one of the privates that I got into and just taken out much more loans so I can be more happy.

I'm not trying to escape the competition of it. I'm just trying to avoid paying the $28k price tag and the about $15k a year (for when I go to campus) I have to take out federal loans just to attend this school. I would for sure receive much more generous financial aid packages from different schools. I don't want to go to a school where there's over ten thousand premeds and it makes it impossible to get advising or any research/volunteering opportunities. Literally any other school would be better, such as UM since it has a much smaller population and more opportunities.

But if it's for a financial reason I'm sure they would understand. I had a lot of delays getting my financial aid package. I had to commit before I even received mine because I'm first-gen low-income so my mother never knew how to fill out the financial aid documents properly so I had to go through many hours of talking to financial aid people at the school and I got it all sorted at around early August and received my package. I committed because I was under the impression that they would give me a decent financial aid package and with bright futures I thought I wouldn't have to worry about paying for college at all, however, it looks like my guidance counselors were wrong about that and gave me the wrong information.
Yup, it sounds like you should have been thinking about all of this last year. CC might be cheaper (does Bright Futures transfer, and would you get a refund if you withdrew now?), but it won't be better for you as a premed than being in your state flagship 4 year school. I hope you figure this out, because you're off on a terrible foot. My understanding is that FA for transfers is way less generous than for incoming freshmen, and, given that you already enrolled in UF, I'm not sure anyone would consider you FTIC even if you withdrew today.

I really don't mean to pry, but, if you are "very low income," where are these loans supposed to come from? Federal loan limits are pretty low, and private loans require underwriting that your mom would not be able to pass if she is truly low income. It's also surprising that Florida doesn't have money for you, if you are truly very low income and good enough to be admitted to UF, which is pretty competitive. Something just isn't adding up!! Maybe you are not as low income as you think?

My advice would be, rather than floating along and assuming things will work out, like you did last year, you do all your research on the front end, BEFORE you make any decisions one way or the other. As you are learning the hard way, bad decisions have consequences, and they are not always easily undone. Good luck!!

Rogue42

2+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2017
Southeast
Status
  1. Medical Student
Didn't you already post this under a different account? Jesus man. Did you think you were going to get different answers? Did you not like the options presented?

UF is $21,900 a year. I just looked it up. They usually OVER-estimate these costs so students don't get upset if they show up and it costs more throughout the year. But tuition alone is $7,000 grand, so really you're looking at under $14,000 a year to go to school in loans. Granted $50,000 thousand in debt is nothing to spit at, but you're over here acting like you're somehow going to find a cheaper school than you're in-state school that you have a Full-tuition scholarship to.

The problem is, scholarships are usually out the window for transfer students of any kind. You can go to CC, do well, transfer, but your transfer scholarship is still going to be less than what youre getting now. So unless Miami REALLY is going to cover that cost 100%, you're going to be about 50 grand in debt either way if you want an education.

Secondly, as a freshman pre-med at a school with more than 15,000 people, you're going to be sitting in lecture halls with 300+ people. That is LITERALLY college. Now if you go to a true, small, private or public university, then you can get out of that. But we are talking schools with less than 5,000 students here. You're going to have to figure out ho to be successful regardless.

Third, the University of Florida (which is where I assume you're at because you said UF) is ranked the 34th academic institution in America. If you're unhappy with being at one of the top 35 schools in America, then IDK what to tell you. Follow that up, sure, probably 99% of pre-med students that make it through to apply to medical school end up at In-state medical because thats HOW THE PROCESS WORKS. Your in-state medical schools are going to take in-state resident students using easier standards - because its government funded that way. Very few students in this country end up in the top 10 schools regardless of where they went to college. No one college is going to spit out 15% pre-med class to top schools. It isn't a thing. Also, just so we are clear, you're going to have to face the competitiveness no matter what school you run to. Because you aren't competing with ANYONE else except YOURSELF.

It seems that you have this conception of PRESTIGE, PRESTIGE, PRESTIGE. Bro, this is literally the worst philosophy on the planet. You know what prestige grants you in the medical world? This interaction, "So, where did you go to med school?" "Wow, so you're like really smart." Boom. Thats it. Now if chasing that, for that sentence, is all you want in life, go for it.

AND FINALLY, we told you last time. Being happy is the most important thing to your success. So, if you are truly, truly unhappy, then I do URGE you to go find somewhere where you would be happy at (just remember that I don't think you're going to get out of the debt, large classes, or the competitiveness while looking for a school that consistently places people in the top 10 med schools). Community college is fine, but like stated last time, it looks better to start at CC -> 4 year university. It will look very weird to have a transcript from a 4 year -> CC -> 4 year. Its also a pain in the ass to do it the latter way. So, if you're truly unhappy, then un-enroll immediately, go to CC for a year or two, save your money, then go to the 4 year school that you feel like fits you best.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Mar 14, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Didn't you already post this under a different account? Jesus man. Did you think you were going to get different answers? Did you not like the options presented?

UF is $21,900 a year. I just looked it up. They usually OVER-estimate these costs so students don't get upset if they show up and it costs more throughout the year. But tuition alone is $7,000 grand, so really you're looking at under $14,000 a year to go to school in loans. Granted $50,000 thousand in debt is nothing to spit at, but you're over here acting like you're somehow going to find a cheaper school than you're in-state school that you have a Full-tuition scholarship to.

The problem is, scholarships are usually out the window for transfer students of any kind. You can go to CC, do well, transfer, but your transfer scholarship is still going to be less than what youre getting now. So unless Miami REALLY is going to cover that cost 100%, you're going to be about 50 grand in debt either way if you want an education.

Secondly, as a freshman pre-med at a school with more than 15,000 people, you're going to be sitting in lecture halls with 300+ people. That is LITERALLY college. Now if you go to a true, small, private or public university, then you can get out of that. But we are talking schools with less than 5,000 students here. You're going to have to figure out ho to be successful regardless.

Third, the University of Florida (which is where I assume you're at because you said UF) is ranked the 34th academic institution in America. If you're unhappy with being at one of the top 35 schools in America, then IDK what to tell you. Follow that up, sure, probably 99% of pre-med students that make it through to apply to medical school end up at In-state medical because thats HOW THE PROCESS WORKS. Your in-state medical schools are going to take in-state resident students using easier standards - because its government funded that way. Very few students in this country end up in the top 10 schools regardless of where they went to college. No one college is going to spit out 15% pre-med class to top schools. It isn't a thing. Also, just so we are clear, you're going to have to face the competitiveness no matter what school you run to. Because you aren't competing with ANYONE else except YOURSELF.

It seems that you have this conception of PRESTIGE, PRESTIGE, PRESTIGE. Bro, this is literally the worst philosophy on the planet. You know what prestige grants you in the medical world? This interaction, "So, where did you go to med school?" "Wow, so you're like really smart." Boom. Thats it. Now if chasing that, for that sentence, is all you want in life, go for it.

AND FINALLY, we told you last time. Being happy is the most important thing to your success. So, if you are truly, truly unhappy, then I do URGE you to go find somewhere where you would be happy at (just remember that I don't think you're going to get out of the debt, large classes, or the competitiveness while looking for a school that consistently places people in the top 10 med schools). Community college is fine, but like stated last time, it looks better to start at CC -> 4 year university. It will look very weird to have a transcript from a 4 year -> CC -> 4 year. Its also a pain in the ass to do it the latter way. So, if you're truly unhappy, then un-enroll immediately, go to CC for a year or two, save your money, then go to the 4 year school that you feel like fits you best.
Actually, I'm the one who said UF, based on clues OP dropped, but the rest of your post is spot on.

MyOdyssey

5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2015
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
4 yr --> cc --> 4 yr does look weird. Ad coms may interpret it to mean you weren't doing so well at the original 4 year.

Don't do anything that will lead ad coms to question your judgment.

Tyrese

Ty Guy, Oh My!
Jun 3, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
PREFACE: The following advice is totally dependent on the policies of the original poster's intended university and community college.

Well, if you do leave your university for a community college, please do note that depending on the district/state you're in, you will be considered low priority thereby giving you later reg dates for classes. This may impact your ability to get into your pre-req c;lasses. More importantly, you may have a harder time transferring to an institution since you already have transcripts from another 4-year institution. Again, you may be relegated to low priority, impacting admission chances. Again, it depends on your school(s), this is just the way MY school worked.

Do whatever you feel will bring you the most success OP. I'm just relaying the possible outcomes. Of course, check with your local community college and intended university for transfer. Learn what their policies are in regards to this case, as that will give you more clarity and veritable information than anyone could give you here.

Best of luck in your future endeavors :thumbup:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads