CC vs 4 year institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atorres

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating spring 2014. I will have to complete some of the prerequisites after I graduate. I've heard mixed thoughts on this topic. Where is best to take them? CC is cheaper and will work with my schedule once I get a job. But I've read that most schools prefer classes from a 4 year school. I've read what Goro has to say and maybe he can comment on this as well as any other thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for every school, and someone has posted in this forum that Case western states that they don't want you to have CC coursework, but I still hold that CC coursework will be fine.

Best best will be to contact admissions deans and see what their school's attitude is. MSAR also has this info, a brief scan shows that of the pre-reqs, CC coursework is accepted by Albany for inorganic chem but nothing else. However, U Chicago, Rush, Einstein and Rosy F accept ALL pre-reqs and recommended courses from CCs. Baylor accepts on a case-by-case basis. Some schools don't state their policy on CCs (like Harvard, BU or Loyola), so a call to them is in order. IU, perversely, accepts behavioral sciences from a CC, but NOT Biochem, and are silent on all others! Northwestern is OK with CC for the pre-reqs and is silent on the recommended.

So, my take on looking at several low, medium and top tier schools is that the trend is CC coursework is OK, but always best to double check with the school.

Hope this helps!

I'm graduating spring 2014. I will have to complete some of the prerequisites after I graduate. I've heard mixed thoughts on this topic. Where is best to take them? CC is cheaper and will work with my schedule once I get a job. But I've read that most schools prefer classes from a 4 year school. I've read what Goro has to say and maybe he can comment on this as well as any other thoughts.

I'm not an adcom, but I would think a lot depends on your MCAT score? If you take all your classes at a CC but get a 32 on your MCAT, that shows you learned the material well. On the other hand, if you do well in your CC classes but bomb the MCAT, it's going to look like your courses weren't rigorous enough and you weren't good enough at self-directed studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm graduating this fall and still need to do some of the pre reqs. I'm planning on doing CC to pay out of pocket and from what I've gathered on this topic is that the schools who will accept CC credits will want a nice course load as well as top grades (and good MCAT of course).

Thanks for the replies. Goro I always look for your insightful comments. It is especially helpful as an applicant from the city (Chicago).