samosamosa

2+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a DIY postbacc, and enrollment has begun for next semester. I took fall classes at an extension program of a well-known undergrad, but it's v expensive :( I'm therefore considering taking classes at a nearby community college instead for next semester. It would be much cheaper, and it's only for one semester as I'm applying in the next cycle.

1) Will adcoms view it negatively if I do the CC route because CC is seen as easier than 4 year schools? Or is it fine because it's only for one semester?

2) The CC doesn't offer any upper-division bio classes. I've heard on SDN that one should try to mimic a med school curriculum during a post-bacc, but if I take things like ecology, health education etc at the CC is it bad? I've already taken microbiology and anatomy at the extension program.

Thanks!

latinclubimperatus

First Aid is life
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2014
East Coast
Status
Medical Student
The whole point of a post-bacc is to convince adcoms you can handle the rigors of medschool coursework. CC classes won't really convince them of that, least of all in things like ecology and health education.

Reactions: candbgirl

jarednogeek

5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student
would need to know your GPA, if you're trying to improve grades and prove academic capability, a CC will not do that.

About the Ads