CCLCM vs Dartmouth (almost full tuition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpppjppp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about my choice and interested in other perspectives. Between scholarship, COA, and the extra year at CCLCM I think the difference at the end of school would be about $20-30k more debt for Dartmouth (but finish one year earlier). Thanks for reading!

CCLCM
Pros:
-Cleveland Clinic <3
-Love research, always wanted to be heavily involved during Med school
-Much prefer city life
-Family is not from Cleveland but still in Ohio
-no grades ever
-Felt like a good fit

Cons
-Five years
-curriculum isn't necessarily a con but does make me a bit nervous with how unique it is, I mean the match list is still impressive regardless

Dartmouth (~$8k tuition per year)
Pros
-Also felt like a good fit...
-more traditional curriculum
-would be lying if I didn't just plain like the idea of an Ivy
-4 years!
-awesome rotation locations for clerk ships

Cons
-beautiful but sooo rural
-no one I've ever known would be within 10 hours or two-three plane rides away

Any differences I'm not aware of that could open more doors at one than the other? Thanks again everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

You have great reasons for picking CC. What's wrong with five years?

Reactions: 1 user
no doubt CCLCM.
match list and opportunity is much better than Dartmouth if you ask me.

What's the overall ticket price of both schools? I'd vote CCLCM unless you're aspiring to practice in NE or if the COA difference is massive. But even then, CCLCM's match list is stupidly impressive, and with a lot of Harvard/Yales

Members don't see this ad :)
This post isn't going to mean much because I'm on the waitlist for both of these schools, but I've been doing some thinking myself, and the snob in me would definitely be way more excited about going to an Ivy League school (I went to a "little ivy" for undergrad, so I admit that being in isolation for four years would be fine wth me).

Nonetheless, congrats. I wish I were you!

I'd go with CCLCM. I wouldn't be worried about their curriculum - their students seem to do very well on Step 1 and they have an awesome match list. Also Cleveland Clinic is ranked as the #2 best hospital in the country.

I've got to say I don't really understand the whole "Ivy" thing when it comes to med schools. It just seems less relevant since some of the Ivy med schools are considered more "mid-tier" like Brown and Dartmouth which both rank in the 30's. These are excellent schools for sure, but there's a discrepancy between undergrad and med school rankings and there are higher ranking med schools that are not part of the Ivy league.

I would take CCLCM for sure as a first choice. I hear you about the Ivy league stuff, would feel a twinge or two myself, but I think that's just the child in us.... At the end of the day I think CCLCM gives a high level education well grounded in research, something which is not quite the same anywhere else. Best of luck!