Cclcm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just called and asked when I might hear something.... and I was told that my file was reviewed on 11/2 and I should hear something next week....
This worries me b/c I feel like that might mean that bad news is in the mail.

Uggg....

Anyone know anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily, as part of Case Western, they may need clearance from Case before notifying you!

hmmmm....

who knows?

already on hold at case.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i'm going to try to stay away from these forums this weekend!
i need a break....

:)

Got the hold letter today also. I think someone said they got called to get an acceptance, so...

So I just called and asked when I might hear something.... and I was told that my file was reviewed on 11/2 and I should hear something next week....
This worries me b/c I feel like that might mean that bad news is in the mail.

Uggg....

Anyone know anything?
Good luck, cbd, and everyone else waiting to hear. :luck:

hey smokey-

sorry to hear that.... just curious- when did you interview?

cbd

hold for me too!

at least it wasn't a rejection..... yet!

Sorry to hear that cbd...keep hope for getting off the hold, though....(The letter referred to some getting rejected, but I wonder if they actually reject anyone?)

i was wondering the same thing.
i didn't even read the whole letter- scanned it for the word "hold"....

anyone out there rejected after an interview??

here is a silly question...do you have to call cclcm to get your status? there is no where to check online? it's weird because you can apply when you apply to cwru. at that point it's not a separate app.

hey uhh, does anyone (cclcmer) know how often and what day of the week/month the cclcm adcom meets to discuss applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey uhh, does anyone (cclcmer) know how often and what day of the week/month the cclcm adcom meets to discuss applicants?
it use to be on the calander on the CCLCM website. I am not sure if it still is.

can someone tell me if i can check my status online or i must call? i applied within in the CWRU app and have not received other info. thanks!

i was wondering the same thing.
i didn't even read the whole letter- scanned it for the word "hold"....

anyone out there rejected after an interview??
I'm sorry that you both were put on hold. I posted some links to last year's threads in another CCLCM thread. But based on those threads, it looks like people didn't get rejected until the spring post-interview. If you do a search for CCLCM rejection, you can see those same threads.

Sorry, but I am not sure about that. I will stop by the admissions office on Friday and see if I can find out some info for you.

can someone tell me if i can check my status online or i must call? i applied within in the CWRU app and have not received other info. thanks!
As far as I know, there is not any status info for CCLCM on line. Are you waiting to hear about getting an interview? If you have been complete for a while, you might want to give the admissions office a call and see where things are at. FYI, if you applied to both programs (ours and the Case UP), that will delay your interview invitations, because both programs have to evaluate your file before either one will invite you.

thanks cclcmer, i repeated this question in another thread about cwru/cclcm--sorry for the repeat--just before i read your response. thanks!

thanks cclcmer, i repeated this question in another thread about cwru/cclcm--sorry for the repeat--just before i read your response. thanks!
No problem. I responded in the other thread too in case someone else has the same question and doesn't see this thread. Good luck with your app. :)

CCLCMer - since the first class won't graduate till 2009, and there is no track record of the students as far as residency, etc., are concerned, what do you think is the advantage of the 5-year program over the conventional 4-year programs from other top-tier, research oriented schools? I am assuming that the conventional MD-Ph.D program will have more recognition compared to this MD-MS (?) program as far as academic medicine is concerned, so am somewhat confused about the benefits of spending an extra year at school.

Sorry, but I am not sure about that. I will stop by the admissions office on Friday and see if I can find out some info for you.

thanks cclcmer, looking forward to hearing back from you tomorrow.

Just to clarify, CCLCM doesn't offer an MS, just a year of research. To me it's worth the extra year because of the experience, making contacts at a great institution, and the possibility of getting published with a very elite group of people (faculty at the Cleveland Clinic). You still get your degree from Case so you are still associated with a proven institution and should be able to get a great residency!

CCLCMer - since the first class won't graduate till 2009, and there is no track record of the students as far as residency, etc., are concerned, what do you think is the advantage of the 5-year program over the conventional 4-year programs from other top-tier, research oriented schools? I am assuming that the conventional MD-Ph.D program will have more recognition compared to this MD-MS (?) program as far as academic medicine is concerned, so am somewhat confused about the benefits of spending an extra year at school.
It's hard to tell right now how residency program directors will react to CCLCM grads because like you said, no one has graduated yet from our program. The first students are now M3s. That being said, I think that there are a couple of things that we will have going for us.

One is that we not only get excellent research training, but also excellent clinical training. The Cleveland Clinic is known for its excellence in clinical care. At most research-oriented medical schools, the top kahunas are people who are researchers. But since CCF is primarily a giant group practice and not an academic center, that's not the case here. In fact, most of our top people are where they are because of their excellence in clinical care. (Our CEO is actually a practicing heart surgeon.) This trickles down to us too. As students, we start seeing patients (on our own) in October of our first year. (The Case UP students do this as well.) That's not to suggest that our research training isn't also extensive, because it is. We actually get quite a lot of research experience integrated throughout our entire curriculum, and not just during the one year set aside for research. So most if not all of us are going to graduate here with substantial records in terms of publications to go with those clinical skills. That being said, this is not a PhD program, and you obviously cannot get as much done in one year of research as you could in three or four years. So we will come out somewhere between straight MDs and MD/PhDs (with the exception, of course, of the two people in my class who came in already having their PhDs ;) ).

The second is that we have amazing faculty access here. At most schools, there are a ton of students and only a relatively few faculty. Here, it's the opposite. Not only do the faculty literally outnumber us, they actively work to get students involved with shadowing, research, and other activities. I can't even tell you how many times in the past four and a half months I've had faculty encourage me and my classmates to contact them about doing research, observing surgeries, or getting involved in clinical projects. Since residency applications rely heavily on letters of recommendation, and these prominent people will know us well and be willing to recommend us, I think that will also be an important factor.

Finally, CCF itself trains a ton of residents in every area, and many of these programs are highly regarded. So to be honest, it wouldn't exactly be a horrible thing to stay here for residency. I think some of us will end up choosing to do that over going somewhere else. :)

Just to clarify, CCLCM doesn't offer an MS, just a year of research.
No, that's not correct. CCLCM has several options for getting your MS. I'm getting an MS in biomedical research, and so are several of my classmates. For tracks in biomedical research (and there are a variety of them, such as biochemistry, pathology, clinical research, etc.), you have to take three extra classes on top of the regular CCLCM curriculum. The rest of your work already counts toward your MS degree. You can also do non research Masters degrees, but they will be more work. So if you want to get a Masters in biomedical engineering, international health, or an MBA, you will have to take more than just three extra classes.

CCLCMer, what were your options for med school when you decided to attend CCLCM? Did you struggle with your decision? What factors (location, family, money, etc.) affected your choice to attend?

CCLCMer, what were your options for med school when you decided to attend CCLCM? Did you struggle with your decision? What factors (location, family, money, etc.) affected your choice to attend?
I wrote a longer answer in my blog, but the short answer is that it basically came down to financial aid, curriculum, and my gut feeling. I definitely did not pick this school based on location. ;) But I can tell you that the program is fantastic, the financial aid is excellent, and on the whole I really like my classmates and faculty. It's not a utopia or anything, and there are definitely some things about the program that I don't like (read some of my blog posts about FCM :p ). But on the whole, I am very happy with my decision to come here. Cleveland seems to have the worst weather in the world, but other than that, I can't even complain about the city too much. It's a lot better than I expected it to be. I don't ever find myself sitting around bored here.

I can answer that question too. My decision basically came down to Pittsburgh or the Clinic, I also got into Case but liked the Clinic and Pitt much more. For me Pitt gave me about a 1/2 scholarship and the clinic gave me more than a full-tuition scholarship (they pay some of my living expenses). And like CCLCMer I also had a gut feeling about the program. There are only 32 of us in the class so if you want to get involved in a certain department its really easy and the faculty is very encouraging of it. And its a world class clinical and research institution, so the resources that are at your fingertips are really amazing. The program certainly isnt perfect (FCM, POD) but I dont think there's one out there that is. Hope this helps.

I sent them an email. I'll let you know what I hear. :)
Ok, I spoke to Dean Franco today. The deal is that the admissions committee usually meets every other week on Thursdays. They just met yesterday, so I think that those of you who interviewed recently will hear something soon.

For those of you who are waiting on invites, you probably already know that CCLCM is inviting fewer people this year (only about 250 instead of 371 like last year). So the good news is that if you get invited, your chance of getting accepted is much higher versus last year. The bad news is that you have a lower chance of being invited. This is because along with them inviting fewer people, the number of applications this year has increased from 1077 last year. (She didn't tell me how many they have received total, and it's probably going to grow anyway because the secondary deadline here isn't until next month.)

The program certainly isnt perfect (FCM, POD) but I dont think there's one out there that is. Hope this helps.
Just so everyone knows what we're talking about, FCM and POD are two of our classes. FCM (foundations of clinical medicine) is a course that all Case students take during M1 and M2. It discusses humanities and social sciences in medicine. That sounds pretty good on paper, but the class is pretty universally disliked by everyone in both Case programs. (If any of you Case people disagree, feel free to correct me, but I won't hold my breath on that one.)

POD (process of discovery) is a CCLCM-only class. It is a research seminar where scientists from CCF come and tell us about their research. Reactions to it are mixed. The seminars we've had so far tend to focus more on basic science, and a lot of the presenters have been PhDs, not MDs. Some of us are into basic science and like that, and some of us would prefer to have more clinical speakers. Personally, I like POD, although some of the speakers are certainly better than others. But there are also several people who feel like JDW does about it.

I wonder if our chances for getting an interview invite from CWRU are higher if we did not apply to CCLCM--if they want to interview us back-to-back and getting an invite from CCLCM is more difficult?? Some of us could be in the interview" pile at Case and in the maybe-interview pile at CCLCM... ? Thoughts?
Have I become the crazy premed who thinks of conspiracies? 0:)

Ok, I spoke to Dean Franco today. The deal is that the admissions committee usually meets every other week on Thursdays. They just met yesterday, so I think that those of you who interviewed recently will hear something soon.

For those of you who are waiting on invites, you probably already know that CCLCM is inviting fewer people this year (only about 250 instead of 371 like last year). So the good news is that if you get invited, your chance of getting accepted is much higher versus last year. The bad news is that you have a lower chance of being invited. This is because along with them inviting fewer people, the number of applications this year has increased from 1077 last year. (She didn't tell me how many they have received total, and it's probably going to grow anyway because the secondary deadline here isn't until next month.)

Thanks CCLCMer! I'm thrilled that I'll be coming to Cleveland for my Nov. 30th interview. Does that mean that people hear back from CCLCM within 2 weeks/1 month?

baba

I wonder if our chances for getting an interview invite from CWRU are higher if we did not apply to CCLCM--if they want to interview us back-to-back and getting an invite from CCLCM is more difficult?? Some of us could be in the interview" pile at Case and in the maybe-interview pile at CCLCM... ? Thoughts?
Have I become the crazy premed who thinks of conspiracies? 0:)
Yes, I think you have, but your paranoia is totally understandable. ;) From what I can tell, your application to one program doesn't affect your application to the other one at all. They both evaluate you independently and each one makes its own decision. There are definitely people who get rejected post-secondary by one program and invited to interview by the other one. It is also possible that one program could decide to interview you and one could put you on pre-interview hold. In that case, the first program won't wait until you come off hold at the other one to invite you.

Thanks CCLCMer! I'm thrilled that I'll be coming to Cleveland for my Nov. 30th interview. Does that mean that people hear back from CCLCM within 2 weeks/1 month?

baba
I heard back within two weeks after my interview last year. But I can't tell you whether your file will always come up for review at the very next meeting, so I don't know whether everyone hears back within two weeks. You might want to ask Dean Franco about that when you get here. Good luck with your interview, baba. Don't forget to read the interview feedback so that you can see what kinds of questions you might get asked. :)

I heard back within two weeks after my interview last year. But I can't tell you whether your file will always come up for review at the very next meeting, so I don't know whether everyone hears back within two weeks. You might want to ask Dean Franco about that when you get here. Good luck with your interview, baba. Don't forget to read the interview feedback so that you can see what kinds of questions you might get asked. :)

Do you know why there isn't any interview feedback from this year for CCLCM? Have you guys been interviewing for a while? I'm heading there in the very near future for my interview and there doesn't seem to be much current info to prepare off of.

Do you know why there isn't any interview feedback from this year for CCLCM? Have you guys been interviewing for a while? I'm heading there in the very near future for my interview and there doesn't seem to be much current info to prepare off of.

Dont know why people havent left feedback yet this year but the day is long 8am-430ish, a lot of tours in the morning, so bring your walking shoes. Your interviews are in the afternoon and as far as questions go, know the generic why medicine? why cclcm? be ready to talk about working in small groups and the #1 thing probably is to know your research cold, there will be at least 1 interviewer that will probably concentrate on your research.

good luck

Definitely know your research--from undergrad to present (if not an undergrad)--and be able to explain it clearly and answer followup questions. The interviews are a terrific experience and it seems as though each interviewer is custom selected for each applicant.

Even if you ace your interview you can still be put on hold until spring . . . ugh.

Do they aks a lot of questions about your research for the Case interview? It's been a while since I have finished my research just wanted to check how much of it I should review.

I guess I'll throw out my thoughts as well to add to those of JDW and CCLCMer. My decision came down to Vanderbilt and CCLCM, and it was a really tough decision especially since I'm from the South. But I think that being in a small class has so many advantages- you get to know your professors so well and you have so many opportunities- I know several third years who are writing textbook chapters, and professors in several competitive surgical fields have offered us everything from shadowing to clinical research w/ almost guaranteed publications. You're in a prime spot for almost any specialty: surgery, IM, peds, etc.--- I wanted to do peds, so being right down the street from one of the nation's top children's hospitals was a definite plus--- I'm even slowly but surely working on a clinical research project at Rainbow. In addition, the financial aid is incredible!

We just started interviewing last month, so not very many people have come yet this year. After you come, maybe you could post yours. :)

I agree with JDW's advice: make sure to read the CCLCM website, go over your research so that you are prepared to discuss it with a research interviewer, and definitely wear comfortable shoes. You actually go on two tours while you're here. One is of the hospital, and the other is to a research lab. There are also two interviews, one with a researcher (mine was a PhD, but some people get MD researchers), and one with a clinical person. This program is very research-focused, so I would definitely emphasize your research interests along with why you think this curriculum would be a good fit for you. And yeah, if you've had experience working in small groups (PBL or otherwise), I would let them know about that too. :luck: to you.

Do they aks a lot of questions about your research for the Case interview? It's been a while since I have finished my research just wanted to check how much of it I should review.
I interviewed for the Case UP last year too, and I did get asked about my research there. You won't have a specific research interview there like you will at CCLCM unless you're applying to the MSTP, but if you've done a lot of research, I think you should expect to get asked about it at every medical school interview. Don't worry too much about explaining the specific details of your experimental procedures. Most of my interviewers were a lot more interested in hearing about the significance and purpose of doing the research, along with what I learned from it.

Good luck to all those who are waiting to hear back from CCLCM! It is truly an impressive, top tier school. I just received a phone call from Dean Franco this morning and was offered a spot in the class. Rapid response, as I interviewed mid November. Now it's time to celebrate!

Good luck to all those who are waiting to hear back from CCLCM! It is truly an impressive, top tier school. I just received a phone call from Dean Franco this morning and was offered a spot in the class. Rapid response, as I interviewed mid November. Now it's time to celebrate!

congrats dude. you gonna take them up on their offer?

Congratulations, _MDPhD_doc. :) If you have any questions about the school, feel free to post them here or PM me. Hope to see you in March at the second look.

Any idea why their deadline is April 15 for not holding on to multiple acceptances rather than the usual May 15 deadline from other schools?

Any idea why their deadline is April 15 for not holding on to multiple acceptances rather than the usual May 15 deadline from other schools?

I think it's because they start earlier than most other schools. The other schools that I was accepted to all started in early August, while CCLCM started July 10... The April 15 deadline helps allow them to get things in order.
Also, because the class size is so small, a lot of people end up getting put on hold who are actually very qualified. If at April 15, they can let make final decisions about the on-hold crowd, I think that's a nice thing for those who are still waiting to hear.
However, those are both just guesses--- I don't think anyone in the admin has specifically told me the reason behind the earlier date...

I think it's because they start earlier than most other schools. The other schools that I was accepted to all started in early August, while CCLCM started July 10... The April 15 deadline helps allow them to get things in order.
Yeah, this is the reason. We start a lot earlier than most other schools do, so that's why our traffic date is a month earlier. I think that all of the schools that start in July have April 15 deadlines. If you are thinking that you won't be able to meet the deadline because you have second looks after April 15 or other problems like that, you should call the admissions office and talk to them about it.

I had an interview at CCLCM recently and fell in love! It truly is an amazing place... I was wondering if anyone has any advice on thank you notes to CCLCMer interviewers.... (email vs snail mail vs anything else you can think to include in it...)

Thank you!!