CCM only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has 0 to do with pulm so my apologies if this is in the wrong place. Med student here interested in critical care medicine (well pulm too but thats not pertinent to my question). With that said, my question is: how hard is it to get a ccm only fellowship from a community IM res? Yes, I know try to get a uni program and the "best" one I can snag. But, there isn't any data on how hard ccm only fellowships are to get and unless I am absolutely terrible at searching no one has asked my specific question anytime soon.

Thank you in advance to all who participate.

Members don't see this ad.

This has 0 to do with pulm so my apologies if this is in the wrong place. Med student here interested in critical care medicine (well pulm too but thats not pertinent to my question). With that said, my question is: how hard is it to get a ccm only fellowship from a community IM res? Yes, I know try to get a uni program and the "best" one I can snag. But, there isn't any data on how hard ccm only fellowships are to get and unless I am absolutely terrible at searching no one has asked my specific question anytime soon.

It's probably going to be fairly reasonable to match from community IM to a critical care fellowship.

Don't forget that EM is an option too if you just want to do CCM. I would argue it's a "better" route to CCM for the doc. This has nothing to do with your ability to be a good intensivist, but everything to do with your career. I know intensivists who practice EM. I don't know any intensivists who do hospitalist work or have a primary care clinic. This gives you a little more flexibility in your job and pay. Same goes for anesthesia.

I'm planning on doing part time EM part time CCM (if I can find somewhere to pay me to do so) when I'm done training.

That being said, if you have any interest in pulm, consider that route. As much as I hated clinic as a med stud, having a scheduled day during business hours sounds much better with a family.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @jdh71 and @TimesNewRoman

And @TimesNewRoman I've entertained the idea of EM to CC (open to pretty much any and all fields, though). Just trying to gauge the competitiveness of a straight CC fellowship (regardless of base training).

Thanks again, docs!

*Edited for clarity.*

Last edited:
Thanks @jdh71 and @TimesNewRoman

And @TimesNewRoman I've entertained the idea of EM to CC (open to pretty much any and all fields, though). Just trying to gauge the competitiveness of a straight CC fellowship (regardless of base training).

Thanks again, docs!

*Edited for clarity.*

It's not that hard, you will get it, maybe not wherever you want but you will get what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app