CCNY (CUNY City College of New York)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayexsapanda

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone is attending/attended CCNY for psychology. Does anyone know if this college is good? In terms of education, safety, etc. I'm researching about this school because I'm a senior in high school, and there are some opposing opinions. Websites such as the U.S. News say that it's not really a good school for those who want to major in psychology. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't go there, but my girlfriend did. From what I heard, the college has some great professors that are really invested in mentoring their students. One of the research projects I am currently working on has a partner lab there, and I can say that they have great facilities for research, with a new state of the art building. In terms of education they have a 5 year accelerated BA/MA program for psychology which not many schools offer, so that is definitely a plus! Also, not sure what options are like now with the whole free undergrad tuition for NY state, but in past years the tuition is pretty cheap for NY state residents. Its located in west harlem, so while I can say its definitely safer than the east side, crime still exists. I haven't had any problems when I've visited the campus in the daytime, so if anyone who has lived there can give more insight, I'm sure it'll be helpful.

I didn't go there, but my girlfriend did. From what I heard, the college has some great professors that are really invested in mentoring their students. One of the research projects I am currently working on has a partner lab there, and I can say that they have great facilities for research, with a new state of the art building. In terms of education they have a 5 year accelerated BA/MA program for psychology which not many schools offer, so that is definitely a plus! Also, not sure what options are like now with the whole free undergrad tuition for NY state, but in past years the tuition is pretty cheap for NY state residents. Its located in west harlem, so while I can say its definitely safer than the east side, crime still exists. I haven't had any problems when I've visited the campus in the daytime, so if anyone who has lived there can give more insight, I'm sure it'll be helpful.

Thank you so much for this information! I'm leaning more towards CCNY as of now. :)