CCNY vs. UMass Boston vs. Harvard ext. vs. FIU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlejuan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what would you be doing at fiu if you stay? seeing as how they have no actual formal post-bac program or smp, would you just take all the pre-reqs? and since you did post in the post bacc forum, im assuming you got in umass and ccny post bac programs right? i think you should go to HES or umass instead unless it is necessary for you to stay working in miami.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, try a search on each of the programs within this forum--there is a good amount of info buried on here about HES and CCNY...not sure about UMass.

I think someone on here was saying that HES has a decent acceptance rate and a lot of happy students--I don't know about the others. Besides that, consider cost (including living expenses) and how you register for classes in each program--you don't want to be fighting with freshman for the only open sections. If UMass is linked with the med school, that would be a major plus to consider. I believe the other ones don't have linkage options. Good luck!

PS. About FIU, definitely do a formal program over an informal one if you can...but if you have to stay in Florida, it sounds like a good option.

Where to begin...

I graduated from Tufts in '03 with a BS in Computer Engineering and Biomedical Engineering. Unfortunately, my gpa was pretty low: 2.99, but I did get a B+ in a summer physics class at FIU, so my cumulative gpa is above a 3.0 .

As an undergrad I completed physics 1 & 2 , and I took a chemistry class geared towards engineers my freshman year. Since I took those classes about 7 years ago, I still have to complete all the prerequisites.

So that brings me to my current dilemma. I have been accepted to UMass Boston and City College of New York. I only recently found out that Harvard Extension also allows you to take science courses. The truth is that I don't really know much about these programs and I have no idea where to go.

How good is the acceptance rate of these programs?

How are the classes? Are they very difficult? Are the professors helpful and clear with the material? Are the students very competitive?

How are the advisors?

etc.

The reason why I have FIU in the title is because I might have to stay in florida (depending on certain circumstances) and I was just wondering if it is a decent alternative. I will most likely be leaving, so it's not a big deal if no one has any info on this school.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have to make a decision very soon, and I am freaking out a bit.

:(

I graduated from Tufts undergrad as a science major. Then after 7 years in another career, I did my post-bacc at UMass Boston and am now a third year dental student. I highly recommend UMass Boston. While I was at UMass, there was a core of post-baccs there - all taking science classes in order to apply to med, dental, vet, and optometry school. So there will be definitely be a lot of people who are like you.

Compared to the science classes at Tufts, I would say that UMass is definitely easier. But certainly not a cake walk. But if you do well at UMass, get good recs, and kick butt on the MCAT or DAT, you'll be fine.

There is a good thread on UMass Boston that many people (myself included) have posted on. It is at: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=149939

I don't know too much about the other programs you mention.

If you have questions about UMass, PM me. I can't guarantee that I'll be able to answer promptly, and my information is a bit dated (I finished there in 2004), but I can try. Good luck!