Ccom 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfjohn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone accepted at ccom for the class of 2007 yet? i'm currently holding acceptances from touro, western, and ccom. ccom is at the top of my list. i'm curious who has accepted or declined ccom's offer, and why. tough decisions! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if I had a choice of those 3 I might choose ccom because of its location.

but I believe the education you get at any one of them will be great.

write out a list of the pros and cons of each school and let that list be the judge of it.

I chose to decline CCOM only because I am from California and I am a sun worshipper. Chicago is too cold for me to be happy in. I didn't want to accept Western because it is 5 minutes away from my house and I do not want to live at home and because the campus is blah and I have heard some negative things about their faculty. I put the money down for Touro because I love the bay area and really like the idea of being the only thing on the island. It makes me feel like there is a community there moreso than in other places. So, basically, I have so far chosen based upon location, weather, educational atmosphere and where I want to do my residency. But I think that every school that is accredited will provide you wish a solid education and lots of oppurtunity...It is all what you chose to make of it. Good luck and be happy...you have options!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alisha, what were your stats, if you don't mind my asking?

HamOn

I am choosing TUCOM as well. I think CCOM is more established and has solid clinical years, but I chose TUCOM for bay area location. Didn't like the locale at COMP.

I have been accepted and will attend CCOM's class of 2007. Here are my reasons......

First, I have had the opportunity to work alongside osteopathic emergency residents. Many of whom are graduates of CCOM. It is my opionion that those who received their education from CCOM stand out from the rest. It is no coincidence that EVERY year the chief residents are CCOM graduates. Also, there are may attendings in the emergency dept in which I worked that are CCOM graduates. I WOULD TRUST EVERYONE OF THEM TO PROVIDE CARE FOR MY FAMILY!!!

Second, if you are interested in an allopathic residnecy, I think on average around 65% of CCOM graduates match allopathic every year. An example that I can offer is that my girlfriend is a nurse at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. She works with anaestheia residents. Often, she will come across a D.O. Guess where EVERYONE of them received their education? Yes, CCOM!!! The point being is that CCOM graduates have a great reputation and match great residencies in Chicago.

Finally, the above is my opinion solely based on my experiences. I'm sure there are CCOM graduates who SUCK!! And as well, I'm sure there are graduates from other osteopathic institutions that are GREAT!! The bottom line is that you must choose where to go based on where YOU think you will be most successful. For me that choice was easy....

no problem...
bio 10
phys 9
verbal 9
sci gpa 3.3
cum gpa 3.5
non sci gpa 3.7
psych major
uc school
research in a cardiothoracic surgery lab 2+years
lots of volunteer work (locally and internationally)
consistent employment 10hrs-20hrs/week
i am lucky cause i have interviews at both do and md schools. but so far i liked touro.

thanks for your posts!
in talking w/ more people from these schools, i've also decided to send a deposit to ccom.
i based my decision on a few things:
1) ccom's commitment to research and opportunity for student involvement
2) strong hospital affiliations in the chicago area
3) general appreciation for the DO philosophy in the greater chicago medical community
4) long history of the school = extensive alumni network
5) sense of community at the school
6) location - i've lived in ny, boston, and san francisco, and this will be an opportunity for me to experience a different geography and culture

i hope that this thread will continue to grow as a discussion board for those starting ccom this fall.

best of luck to everyone else in deciding!

-john

I agree with jealowe on the respect for the CCOM program. The numbers for their matriculants is among the highest of osteopathic schools, and their graduates seem to have no problem securing quality residencies at hospitals like Loyola, Northwestern and Lutheran General (including MD residencies). CCOM graduates are highly respected.
I'm currently holding acceptances at CCOM and Des Moines, and am now leaning toward CCOM.

Congratulations to those who have chosen to come to CCOM. I think you will be happy with your decision, as I have been. I'd be glad to try and answer questions about the school if you have any.

MS-1
CCOM

thanks claymore. a ? for you - do you think it's feasible to live in downtown chicago and commute to ccom as an ms1? is there public transportion? do many students do this?

I live in Northwest Indiana and am very familiar with the locale of CCOM's campus with respect to downtown Chicago. I would DEFINITELY not recommend commuting from downtown Chicago to Downers Grove. Unless, of course, you really enjoy being in your car for hours on end. However, I'm sure some people do it.
In terms of public transportation, not practical for commuting to Downers Grove. You would have to take a bus from your apartment to Union Station. Then jump onto the Metra (train) and take that to the Downers Grove station. Then how will you get to campus?
From what I hear, the time to move downtown is 3rd year....

sfjohn-

Jealowe is correct. It would be extremely difficult to live downtown during your first 2 years at CCOM. Downers is about a 30 minute drive from the loop, even longer with public transportation (via the Metra + a bus). I am unaware of anyone in our class who is doing this right now. With regards to living situations, a large percentage live on campus in the dorms, while the majority of the other people live in apartments in the Downers Grove/Lombard/Westmont area. Any other questions just let me know.