CCOM Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any current CCOM students out there who can let me know what I'm in for in terms of:

Classwork
Studying
Living arrangements
Cost of living
Financial Aid
Parking
etc..

Basically, what have your impressions of the school been during your experience with CCOM?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Classwork- cant tell you b/c they are prolonging the year by a month starting in for the 2011 class... but as for the 2010 class, it is dense
Studying - lots, of course
Living arrangements - check out versailles and yorktown (7-10 min drive) or on campus (dorms/apartments)
Cost of living (900-1050/month single, 1000-1500/month double)
Financial Aid - ~3600 available from federal loans the rest you get from private or PLUS loans
Parking - no problem... free ramp on campus
etc..

Classwork- cant tell you b/c they are prolonging the year by a month starting in for the 2011 class... but as for the 2010 class, it is dense
Studying - lots, of course
Living arrangements - check out versailles and yorktown (7-10 min drive) or on campus (dorms/apartments)
Cost of living (900-1050/month single, 1000-1500/month double)
Financial Aid - ~3600 available from federal loans the rest you get from private or PLUS loans
Parking - no problem... free ramp on campus
etc..

Do you live on campus or off campus?

3600 is that a typo!? I got that much in undergrad just in unsubsidized...

How do you get along with classmates... is it cohesive or every man for themselves... are teh profs accessible?

I know that it's easier to glance past this when you're busy, but I am really interested in what I can expect if I attend in the fall (really late summer...).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM will try and claim that its non-competitive.

While no one will really stab you in the back, it is competitive.

As soon as there is a class rank (though its not publicized, you may go to the registrar and ask for it) - there IS competition.

MS4 right now

Classwork: Plenty
Studying:plenty...but know that at the end of MS2 you are ready. In comparison with other students i've worked with DO and MD, we're at par if not better than most i've ran into
Living arrangements: Varies...you could live off campus 5 minutes away from 700-1000/month
Financial Aid: the usual
Parking: no worries

Good school. I feel that the first two year were intense, but as a MS4 i surely benifited from that. I would say the strongest aspects of the program were clinical rotations. All around Chicago area, don't need to move state to state. Get to rotate in some of the big community and county hospitals with some awesome teaching and hands on. Some rotations have students from other MD schools in chicago, but never had any problems and felt at par.

Competition: I think it varies class to class and person to person. Some of the top people in my class were pretty chill, didn't really know how smart they were till they started handing out the awards. There are always gunner.

Overall: great school. Great city. great experience.

Any current CCOM students out there who can let me know what I'm in for in terms of:

Classwork
Studying
Living arrangements
Cost of living
Financial Aid
Parking
etc..

Basically, what have your impressions of the school been during your experience with CCOM?

Thanks guys!

classwork- class 8-5, 9-5, 8-4 about every day. You take about 22.5 credit hours in about 12 weeks, we're on a quarter system. Like said earlier, thats changing for your class. Your grades on a percent, so you get a straight percent for every class. Our curriculum is instense, freshman year total you take about 65 exams, our first quarter week took about 23, not counting quizzes.

studying- me personally, though im no where near the top of my class is about 4 hours on a good day on school days outside of the 8 hours in class, and weekends maybe about 6 a day if there isn't a exam, if there is a monday exam about 12 a day.

Living arrangements- the complexes mentioned are good, however if you want to try and save money look at some of the places a little further away from the school wheaton etc. you will have to do more searching though as many aren't advertised online.

cost of living- varies, if you have no outside help/money saved, look to take out about 55-60K a year. Stafford is 38500, grad plus will cover the rest.

parking no problem- if your on campus around or before 8, get a great spot, get here at later, there are always spots availible, and its free. I have never driven here, and not had parking.

As far as the class goes, all the horror stories you hear about medical students are not true. People are competitve, but people usually help each other out alot, we get along.

hope that helps.

Do you live on campus or off campus?

3600 is that a typo!? I got that much in undergrad just in unsubsidized...

$36000

but as Vox pointed out, it is actually $38500 to be exact