• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Between Heaven and Hell, benching like crazy
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi guys, sorry if this is another redundant thread, but my connection is screwy and I don't want to waste time searching....

Any of you get accepted to CCOM with an MD LOR and not a DO LOR?

I'm applying there, but may or may not be able to get a DO LOR by the time I apply, but will have an MD letter at the end of April.

Thanks.

MRa2z

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i know of someone who interviewed with an MD letter , but with a 3.7 + science and overall gpa. usually if you apply to a DO school, you should have some experience with a DO.

grinchick5

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I was accepted at CCOM with an MD letter.

I also submitted a committee letter and a letter from a PhD who teaches at a DO school.

I did have shadowing experiences with two DOs, but I had the MD write my letter b/c he knew me the best.

About the Ads

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i know of someone who interviewed with an MD letter , but with a 3.7 + science and overall gpa. usually if you apply to a DO school, you should have some experience with a DO.

I should have made it clear that I have a lot of experience with DOs, especially as a speech-language pathologist who refers to/gets referrals from DOs. And my PCP is a DO.

However, the nature of my job probably won't allow me to shadow much between now and application submission.

So please future posters, no more lectures on "you should know what a DO is/does/etc." ;)

bigdog8829

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm applying there, but may or may not be able to get a DO LOR by the time I apply, but will have an MD letter at the end of April.

Thanks.

Shouldn't you have enough time to get a DO letter by the end of April also....

I had a good gpa/mcat but didnt want to take my chances and still secured a DO LOR. It took me an extra 2+ weeks, but it was worth it and not having to worry about it.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was accepted at CCOM with an MD letter.

I also submitted a committee letter and a letter from a PhD who teaches at a DO school.

I did have shadowing experiences with two DOs, but I had the MD write my letter b/c he knew me the best.

Good to know. Like in my previous post I have DO experience, just not enough to get a LOR and not enough time to get one between now and then.

An MD I have shadowed will be writing my letter. Also getting letters from an office of social workers who refer clients for speech therapy/evals.

CCOM has said I'm above and beyond the criteria for clinical exp. :D

bigdog8829

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I just read your update post.

The letter i got was from a DO whom i shadowed for 1/2 a day. I had discussed with her previously why I am shadowing and that i will request a LOR. Most DO's will give it to you i think. If you ask your pcp w/o even shadowing i think he/she would be able to write one.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Shouldn't you have enough time to get a DO letter by the end of April also....

Not unless I just waltz into my PCP's office and ask for one without being able to shadow.

I have the MCAT in May, Orgo II, Physics II, and I own my own therapy practice and have to manage it, too, so my time is extremely limited.

I suppose I could ask my PCP to meet with me on a Saturday (I think he has Sat. office hours) and request a letter from him.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I just read your update post.

The letter i got was from a DO whom i shadowed for 1/2 a day. I had discussed with her previously why I am shadowing and that i will request a LOR. Most DO's will give it to you i think. If you ask your pcp w/o even shadowing i think he/she would be able to write one.

Ahhh... good call - I might do that, maybe even after the MCAT is done and classes are over.

KeyLime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2000
Status (Visible)
I got into CCOM with only an MD letter. It never came up in my interview either.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.