Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

CCOM and surgery?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by miglo, Oct 3, 1999.

1. miglo

miglo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was wondering if it is worth it to go to interview at CCOM if one is already accepted? Does anyone know if theres a DO school that produces strong surgeons? I heard MSUCOM does but I didn't apply their [​IMG].

------------------
    Ryan
    Western U/COMP Class of 2004
    thedigitaldoctor.com

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    CCOM would certainly give you access to surgical rotations that might be more difficult to obtain if you stayed out west. It's not so much the school that matters, but the opportunity to be seen by attendings and profs at hospitals that sponsor surgical residencies. In general, the osteopathic profession is stronger in the mid-west and north-east than west and south-west. Chicago is the home of some damn good medicine...like the snow?

------------------
    David Russo, MS3
    UNTHSC/TCOM
    Research Fellow, Department of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine

[This message has been edited by drusso (edited October 03, 1999).]

3. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Not to sound cheesy, but no school can be solely responsible for their graduates. It is the abilities found in the person that makes a "good surgeon". How can a school teach bedside mannor or compassion?
    Secondly, perhaps you should be asking, "what residency program has the best board passing rate" or rather, "how the hell do I succeed in my first year of med school"

just a thought.

4. miglo

miglo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

What I basically meant was whether CCOM had good surgery rotations/residencies.

------------------
    Ryan
    Western U/COMP Class of 2004
    thedigitaldoctor.com

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Miglo,

I agree with drusso. Osteopathy is strongest in the Northeast and especially in the Midwest region of the country and therefore the opportunities for a variety of rotation and residency experiences are abundant. Unless things have changed recently, Michigan is still the largest of the DO "friendly" states. I live in the Detroit Metro area of Michigan (3/4 of our state population is located there). I live within say 30 minutes (maximum) of around 10 osteopathic hospitals not to mention a multitude of allopathic/osteopathic hospitals. Because of this, many of you will find that Des Moines, Chicago, Kansas City and others actually offer rotations and residencies in Michigan.

Basically, it all comes down to what you want to do. All the schools are good and if you put the time into it (i'm sure we all will) then you'll become an excellent doctor. However, if you want to get into highly specific specialties I think your going to be a little disappointed by the lack of opportunities out west. Then again you and others can help change all that by staying out west and forging ahead with your dreams.

DocGibby