SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

CCOM Class of 2005

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Wannabe Doc, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Wannabe Doc

Wannabe Doc Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2000
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    I just wanted to see who is gonna start CCOM in the fall.

Please include name and anything else.

Hope to see all of you next year.

Also where are you future docs gonna live?

Khalid Yousuf
    From Louisiana
    I will probably live on campus, but I haven't decided yet.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Hippocrates

Hippocrates Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 18, 2000
    Columbia, MD, U.S.A
    Yeah, I am going to be in the CCOM class of 2005 too!!! I am very excited!! I am currently working as a Forensic Scientist in the field of DNA identification. My background is in pathology, forensic toxicology (masters degree, but now just doing DNA). I think CCOM to me was the best choice among the D.O. schools I interviewed at. It was a tough choice between PCOM and CCOM, but I felt that CCOM was for me. Anybody else attending? Where is all the CCOM people?

Samir Kodsi

[This message has been edited by Hippocrates (edited 03-13-2001).]

4. Wannabe Doc

Sep 30, 2000
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    Samir, where are you from? My parents are originally from pakistan, but I grew up in houston. I just recently moved to new orleans.

I am getting a masters in health care management. I am interested in hosp administration, and i may pursue it down the road.

later

5. Hippocrates

Nov 18, 2000
    Columbia, MD, U.S.A
    Khalid, I am Lebanese-American and I was born in Beirut. Your name is very common in Lebanon, at first I thought you were Arab. Do you speak any arabic? Anyway, I am glad you are attending CCOM, I think we will have a great class. Tell me more about your masters program.
    Khalid, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Samir

6. jbgetz

jbgetz New Member

Oct 26, 2000
    I'll also be at ccom in the fall, and I look forward to meeting all of you.
    Jeremy

7. Hippocrates

Nov 18, 2000
    Columbia, MD, U.S.A
    Jeremy, glad to see that you are coming aboard the CCOM ship!!! It's gonna be fun. What happened with PCOM? I know that you were waiting on them from your previous post. How did you end up deciding? I truly thought that CCOM was better for me. It was tough choosing between the 2 schools but at the end I felt more comfortable with CCOM. Cheers!!!

Samir

8. jbgetz

jbgetz New Member

Oct 26, 2000
    Samir, Throughout the whole interview process, ccom has remained my top choice, although I must admit that I was impressed with pcom. The main separating factor for me was the large class size at pcom. However, this is completely irrelevant, seeing as I haven't been accepted at pcom yet, and I want to go to chicago regardless of the outcome.
    Since I have'nt shared anything about myself yet, I will do a quick bio. I am from a small town in eastern Washington, I just graduated from Washington State University with a B.S. in zoology, and I am cuurently working in a psychiatric hospital. I look forward to hearing more from my future classmates.
    Jeremy

9. algernon

algernon Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Woodridge, IL
    Whats up everyone? I, too, will be starting at CCOM in the fall. I am really looking forward to meeting all of you there (Khalid...we actually met at the interview). Quick question - does anyone know anything about housing? I will be moving to the Chicago area with my girlfriend so we will be looking for an off-campus apt. Does anyone have any info about where to look (i.e., whats good and whats bad?)

Dave Shope
    Boston, MA

10. Wannabe Doc

Sep 30, 2000
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    how's it going david? i'm still not sure bout housing. i want to find the cheapest place, just because i'm worried about this debt i'm going to acrue. i'm going again in the first week of june, and i'm going to check out some places. i'll let you know if i find something.

nice to hear from you, and i look forward to meeting everyone in the fall.

later

khalid

11. ScienceGirl

ScienceGirl New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Brookfield, WI
    Dear Fellow CCOM 2005 Classmates,

Yes, I too will be part of the CCOM class of 2005!! I can't wait to begin classes! CCOM was my first choice from the beginning. I have a husband and kids (2) so we will probably be looking for a house in the area. I look forward to meeting all of you. I hope to learn more about my future classmates! Has everyone sent in the requested transcripts and proof of medical insurance as well as the titer and immunization papers? How about the FAFSA and the Financial Aid Forms? I need to do these soon. Nice to hear from our class!

Cindy
    ScienceGirl

12. Wannabe Doc

Sep 30, 2000
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    When are you'll gonna start moving to chicago?

I'm thinking about moving there first week of August, but i'm not sure where i'll be living.

khalid

13. Hippocrates

Nov 18, 2000
    Columbia, MD, U.S.A
    Khalid, I applied for on-campus housing and I should find out this month if I get an offer. I don't know when I will be in Chicago, but I am planning to visit at the end of May. Maybe all of us here on-line could coordinate a visit and check out the area. I am going to look at my calendar very soon. Later everyone.

Samir

14. Wannabe Doc

Sep 30, 2000
    New Orleans, LA, USA
    we'll talk, cuz i'll be visiting the area the end of may as well. I'll send you an email as my plans become concrete.

Is there a waiting list for on campus housing? and is there a fee or deposit to apply?

later,
    khalid

15. algernon

Mar 22, 2001
    Woodridge, IL
    Sounds like a plan everybody....I am also planning a trip out to CCOM for the last week of May. Stay in touch!

Dave

16. algernon

Mar 22, 2001
    Woodridge, IL
    Not much new to say....just trying to keep this thread alive. Hopefully, we'll hear from more people going to CCOM. Almost all the other schools have these huge threads going with tons of posts. Drop a line if you are headed to beautiful Downers Grove this fall!

Dave Shope
    CCOM, Class of 2005

17. algernon

Mar 22, 2001
    Woodridge, IL
    Just trying to keep this post alive.

It doesn't seem like people headed to CCOM know about this site - I see TONS of posts from just about every school (except CCOM!) What gives??

18. veronica

veronica Junior Member 7+ Year Member

May 14, 2001
    Hi Everyone. My name is Veronica. I'm planning on attending CCOM in the fall. I love the school so much, only problem is I may end up at MSUCOM due to in state tuition. Hope to meet you all soon.

19. ebola95

ebola95 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 28, 1999
    Downers Grove, Illinois
    hello guys...and welcome to CCOM!

my name is John and i am a first year at CCOM(hopefully a second year if i can pass embryo tommorrow morning!!!)and i am also going to be an RA in the LLC next year....i noticed a lot of you were asking about housing...you need to call the office of residence life and speak to Mary Wilson...she is the director of residence life and she should be able to answer all of your questions...

there are only a limited number of apartments on campus...jump on the web and check out the yorktown apartments (about 3 mins away from campus and right next to yorktown mall) and some people like to live inthe surrounding areas like Wheaton....jump on apartmentsearch.com and i am sure you can find something that will fit your needs...

if you guys have any other questions about CCOM or life on/off-campus, classes, etc...feel free to drop me a line....i am looking forward to meeting everybody at orientation!

John Dery :D

20. algernon

Mar 22, 2001
    Woodridge, IL
    John -

I'll be living off-campus (starting my first year this fall). Any recommendations about areas or specific apt complexes to check out?

21. Nazar

Nazar Junior Member

May 20, 2001
    portland, oregon
    Hi everyone, I also will be there in the fall! I'm excited. Quickly a bit about myself, I'm from Portland, Oregon. I grad. from OSU (yes, I'm a beaver...) in zoology and got my master's last year in public health. I'm actually also looking for housing close to campus, probably not on campus because I just called office of housing and they said the only thing left are the double occupancy residence halls. Anyone have suggestions about close apartments or houses or people looking for a roommate?? I'm clean and I've got all my shots. LOL. Anyone else from the NW region? Also did anyone interview on May 7th? That's when I interviewed so I'm curious if there is anyone I met that is also going. Cheers!

Nabiel.

22. bluejay

bluejay Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2001
    NSU-COM
    Hey all you CCOMers I recently graduated from Elmhurst College nearby. I am in the 2005 class at Nova. I am familiar with the Chicagoland area, so contact me with any questions.

23. ebola95

Dec 28, 1999
    Downers Grove, Illinois
    sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you guys...it has been a busy summer!!!!

housing for algernon (sorry, i couldn't stop laughing at the name! i loved that book)....since you are looking for off campus, i would suggest that you jump on the APARTMENTS.COM and look at "wheaton" it is about 5-10 mins away from campus, but you are away from the really expensive areas, you won't have to compete with the freight trains like the guys living in downtown downers grove, and let's face it, it is off campus!!!

anything else, let me know!
    JOHN DERY MS-II
    [email protected]

24. docflanny

docflanny Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Hi everyone! I've got a quick question for you:" Is CCOM a pass/fail curriculum?

I started this thread somewhere else, but it hasn't been answered to quickly. I'd appreciate your response.

Thanks.

25. ebola95

Dec 28, 1999
    Downers Grove, Illinois
    well, we have a few classes that are pass/fail (mostly the electives) but otherwise you will need to maintain at least a 70% in a class in order to pass and go on....i fyou don't get a 70%, i believe that there is a grievance review board and then the dean's office meets with the academic board and decideds if you should go on or not...some students choose to "de-cel" or take the classes on a decelerated coursework for various reasons (so then it takes 5 years rather then 4 years)

where is everyone living next year? anyone on the 3rd floor of the LLC?

26. Curly

Curly Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2001
    From MI
    Hi! I will also be at CCOM in the fall. I am from Hesperia, Michigan. I graduated from CMU with a Bachelors in Biology, and I currently work full-time in the ER. Anyone else planning on living off campus? I think I'm going to live in Westmore apartments in Lombard...they give a 5% discount to CCOM students (~$45/mo). Did any of you interview on Dec 14th? Just wondering if I've already met some of you. :p

27. tebster8

tebster8 New Member

Jun 16, 2001
    Cleveland
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if any of you have applied for scholarships yet. If so which websites did you tap into? I can't wait to meet all of you guys in the fall! Two more months.