CCOM - I need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ebola95

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi...i'm going to be visiting the Chicago area this upcomming weekend (March 24-26) and i was really hoping to get to see the inside of the dorms and the LLC while i am at campus (they were unable or unwilling to let us do so on our campus tour during interviews) and i am trying to expolre my housing options for next year....anyone out there willing to lend me a hand?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

you are in luck. My friend John Touzios an MSII at CCOM read your message and says that it would be no problem at all to accomodate you (he lives on campus, while I don't). His email is [email protected]

thank you for your help! i'm writting your friend as we speak.....any chance if you happen to know if the bookstore is open at all on sat? or at least how late they are open on friday? (plans changed and i cannot get into DG until at leat 6:30-7 *depending on traffic!!!*)

by the way, how bad is rush hour off I-88?

Members don't see this ad :)
I-88 is pretty bad going west bound in the evening commute. Are you flying in or driving in? The traffic usually starts around 4:30pm and gets lighter by 6-6:30pm.

driving in....someone told me to take the Indiana parkway??? and that would be a little easier to get around Chicago...i'm comming from the Detroit area

ebola95,
Have you gotten your housing application for next year yet? And to other future CCOM students and current students do you know how I might find any listings of students wanting to share off campus housingnext year, it seems like this would be a cheaper way to go.

Thanks,

Amy

hey amy...i have been calling about the housing applications for quite some time now and i was told that they would be going out on monday of this week (March 20th) and that if i have not recieved my application by mail TODAY that i should call the housing office....hense the trip out to Chciago to check out apartments and such...

are you looking for on or off campus housing? i know of one other person who was looking for somthing off campus and if i find her address, i'll forward it to you....

i'm undecided at the moment, but i think that living on campus might be a good idea for the first year until i get used to the area....what do you EXPERIENCED CCOM'ers think about that one?

thanks

Thanks for the info ebola95. I am thinking I want to live on campus my first year too, to get used to the area and the weather. But it just seems like it would be so much cheaper to live off campus with a roomate. I am also concerned about not getting a spot on campus. Living on campus does sound like it would be nice for the first year though, and seems like it would be a huge time saver which I think will be very importatn that first year. I would love to hear what you think of the LLC and what else you find out on your trip Downers Grove to look into the housing.

[This message has been edited by A-MAC (edited 03-25-2000).]

I have another question for any CCOM student and that is how necessary is a car at CCOM? How difficult is it to get into Chicago without one?

Having a car is all about convenience. You can take the Metra into downtown Chicago which will take you about 20min. There is a Metra line in downtown Downers Grove, but downtown is not within walking distance. If you live on campus, plenty of people have cars, and you could probably get away with not having one.

[This message has been edited by doatc (edited 03-27-2000).]

ok, got my housing application on tuesday afternoon....anyone else looking at oncampus housing for the next school year?

I got the housing app last week, too. I've opted to live off-campus, though--I think it might be too claustrophobic to live on-campus! I won't be able to make it out to CCOM till June to look for an apartment...hopefully I'll be able to find something reasonable!
smile.gif

as for on campus housing: i lived in the on campus "apartments" my first year at ccom. THE SINGLE WORST HOUSING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE. Imagine having a 4x3' HOLE IN YOUR BEDROOM WALL IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER, due to "improvement construction." a number of us signed a petition demanding SOME sort of compensation for the MANY abuses we put up with, which was of course ignored by housing. My other major gripe with the apartments was that we were not allowed to chose our own long distance carrier, and were instead stuck with CCOMs con-job carrier at a rate of 25cents/min.

now of course if you live in one of the dorms and you are comfortable with that type of living then they seem decent, especially the "new dorm" however the old dorms are truly old, though decently maintained.

as for a car, I know some people who did it, but I could NO WAY attend CCOM without a car. there is no decent public transportation w/i walking distance. Furthermore, YOU MUST HAVE A CAR FOR ROTATIONS. PERIOD.

feel free to email me directly w/ any questions,

jason, MSII
CCOM