CCOM interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Claymore

Yankees Suck
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that people have started interviewing at CCOM as of today 10/10. So those of you waiting may hear something soon. By the way, if anyone has any questions about the school I'd be glad to help as best as I can. Good luck.

MS-1
CCOM

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for offering your help!

CCOM is currently my #1 choice right now, based on complete ignorance. I know CCOM is in Downer's Grove, which is two miles from where my fiancee lives, so its #1 in my book.

I'm curious if you could run through the pro's and con's of CCOM as you see it. If you could compare CCOM to other schools (based on interview experience/visits obviously) it would be much appreciated.

Ham

Can you tell me a bit about the cost of living. I am interviewing there next week, and I am only concerned with the price of living in a suburb of chicago. thanks. Also How do they schedule their tests? Are they like AZCOM, tests every monday? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I will do the best I can to answer your questions.

The pros for CCOM for me were:
1. Location: I'm from Chicago so that was a plus; also I like living in the suburban environment with a cool city very close. Chicago really is awesome if you've never been here before.
2. Reputation: CCOM is pretty widely regarded as one of the better osteopathic medical schools, and there are many alumni. The school has been around for 100+ years and has many affiliations because of the alumni. This may be helpful come rotation/residency time.
3: Opportunities: Chicago is an excellent place to learn about medicine. There are a bunch of schools (7) in the Chicago area, and thus many teaching hospitals and high-powered academic institutions. As a CCOM student you have a fair amount of flexibility in scheduling your rotations wherever you want. This can give you good exposure to whatever you're interested in, in the environment that you'd like. The students seem to be well accepted most everywhere and I have heard do well.
4: Residency placement: CCOM grads tend to do pretty well in the match, with many people in specialties (including ortho, EM, anesth, EM last year).

That pretty much sums up my reasons for coming here. Of course different people will have other opinions about the strengths of the school. To address other questions that have been asked, cost of living isn't too bad, at least compared to the city. I guess it depends on where you're coming from. Downers Grove is a relatively nice suburb. Rent for a 1 bedroom apt near campus runs around $700-800, 2 bedroom around $1000-1200. Many students also live on campus in the dorms, which I imagine is much cheaper and more convenient. But, it is the dorms.

Our test schedule is roughly one test a week, though this may include both a written and a practical (for classes like Anatomy). Then during finals week we have tests every day. There are a lot of tests because our school year is pretty compact (Sept-mid May), but it can be handled. Tests are usually on Mondays or Tuesdays. Classes so far have been going well, I think we are particularly strong in Biochemistry and Anatomy.

Well, I've gotta get to class, but if anyone has any other questions just let me know.

Hello,
This is my first time ever posting anything. But I had to jump on this opportunity. Claymore, I am very interested in anything you could offer about CCOM. It's my first choice. I was wondering if you could write a little about the interview process, also I sent my application in September I know that may sound really late but what do you think? I still haven't heard from anyone, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I also wanted to ask about the personal recommendation that one must get from a DO in order to apply to CCOM. Do they hold to that requirement very strictly, because I had planned on shadowing a DO but he switched practices and now I'm really at a loss for a personal recommendation. I'm still trying to set something up but my area is majority MDs. What do you think I should do?
Thanks.

Zeritz-
Welcome to the message boards. You are not too late by sending in your application in September (I'm assuming you mean your primary; if you're talking about the secondary then you are right on top of things/early). After receiving the primary, they will send you a secondary within a couple of weeks, which you should try and get done as soon as possible. Then, make sure your file is complete (letters of rec, etc) also, because they won't review your file until everything is in. I saved copies of everything I sent, and called several times to verify everything had been received. It would suck if something got lost in the mail, you never knew about it, and the school never told you. So verify everything.

The general consensus that I heard and thought myself was that CCOM was one of the easier interviews. The interview day is basically structured in such a way that you get a brief introduction/welcome, a tour around campus, about a 30 minute interview, and then a financial aid presentation and lunch. You're typically there from around 8-1pm. For my interview, there were 3 people (a DO, a PhD, and an MS-4). It was pretty laid back, without a bunch of pre-formulated questions. I pretty much just started talking, and they asked questions as we went along to get to know me better. It was pretty low stress.

I am unaware as to how strict they are about the D.O. letter of recommendation. I sent one in, but I don't know if it was required or not. You may want to check with the admission office on that one. As far as finding a D.O., most areas do have them, but you may have to look harder. One way to search may be by contacting MDs you know, chances are they will know a D.O. or two that you can meet up with. Don't be too picky about the specialty. This is something you should do ASAP in order to have your file completed.

Other recommendations...when you call to talk to people in the admissions office, ask to speak with an admissions counselor (not the lady who first picks up the phone). They tend to be much more helpful and direct, as they have access to statistics and more timely information. Also, sending in extra letters of recommendation, updates to your file, etc. are a very good idea. This shows continued interest and is looked upon favorably.

Anyway, hope I could help. Let me know when you get that interview!

hi,
I am pretty sure (90%)that you do not need a DO lor (I read this somewhere for CCOM but I cant find it.. i think on the website) it just says that it is recommended to have a DO but they will accept an MD lor.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies guys. You've helped to alleviate some of the anxiety I've been feeling. BTW Claymore, letting me know that CCOM was one of the easier interviews has helped me a lot. Phew! I needed to hear that. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. As for the DO letter, I haven't stopped working on getting one, I'm on the phone all the time trying to set something up.
P.S. keep the info and advice on ccom coming. I appreciate it!

CLAYMORE,
what does the school think about stats? Do you think a gpa of 3.6 and mcat of 26 would at least get an interview? Does the school favor students from certain schools? I know they like Benedictine University and Loyola. What have you heard?
Thanks for your help!

Mix-
Not sure if I can help that much with your questions. I don't know how the admissions committee weights different areas of the application, so I don't know how important stats are relative to other things. I can tell you though your stats seem to be right in line and I would guess you would be eligible for an interview based on these alone. I had a little bit higher MCAT but a bit lower GPA, if that means anything. I would guess you're in pretty good shape if the rest of your application looks alright.

As far as favoring certain schools, I have no idea. There are a whole bunch of people from Loyola (9 I believe) in our class this year for some reason. Now, this may be just coincidence, considering Loyola is pretty close to CCOM. But maybe there is some sort of favoritism. I haven't heard anything else though. Good luck.

Claymore,
What about out-of-staters? I'm a NJ resident and I graduated from Rutgers University. I think my couselor said one person from my school got into CCOM last year.

Not quite sure about the breakdown between in state and out of state. However I can tell you that there is a significant percentage of out-of-staters. Based solely on the people that I know, there are a bunch of people from IL, CA, MI, and OH in particular. I don't know anyone from NJ, but there probably are some people. The class seems pretty diverse in terms of where people are from. You'll probably have to contact the admissions office for more specific information about the geographical breakdown.

Ok, q: I am flying out to Chicago this wed. What is the best way to get to my hotel in Downers Grove (and cheapest)? Does the metrarail go to the airport? Thanks for your replies!

Some people have emailed me asking about the class schedule here, so I will post our first quarter schedule. There is usually only 1 test/week (Mon or Tues), so usually one of the "exam" slots is empty.

Mon
7:30-Exam
9:00-Biochemistry
10:00-Anatomy
11:00-University Wide "Common Hour"
12:00-Lunch
1:00-4:00 Anatomy Lab

Tues
7:30-Exam
9:00-Biochemistry
10:00-Biochemistry workshop
1:00-History of Medicine
2:00-4:00 Histology

Wed
8:00-OMM
1:00-Anatomy
2:00-5:00 Anatomy Lab

Thurs
8:00-Biochemistry
10:00-Biochemistry workshop
1:00-4:00 Histology

Fri
8:00-Clinical Medicine
11:00-Lunch
12:00-Biochemistry
1:00-Anatomy
2:00-5:00 Anatomy Lab

that schedule is crazy! DO you have to go to all the labs or all lectures? Is there a note taking service? I mean come on thats killin it 8-5
thanks

Who teaches history of medicine now?

Yeah, the schedule seems kinda rough. It's really not that bad though. Class attendance is optional for all lectures, and you are only required to go to 2/3 anatomy labs each week. Though of course you can go to them all if you want. Biochemistry workshop is usually not the full 2 hour period; usually half the class goes for the first hour and half the class for the second hour.

There is no note-service first year, because all notes are distributed by the professors as handouts. Therefore you rarely need to take a whole lot of notes during class except to clarify points. Lectures are really designed for you to hear the material and ask questions, not to furiously scribble everything down. So, as you can imagine, attendance is sparse in some classes.

Overall, we are in class most of the day. But I think you will find that the classes are pretty varied in style and thus you're always doing different things. Anatomy lab, histology lecture, and OMM are all very different and interesting in their own ways. Maybe I'm just in denial, but it really doesn't seem that bad. Keep in mind we also have a very short school year compared to many: we start after Labor Day in September, and end in mid-late May. We have over three months of summer break after first year, plus a week off in the fall, 2 weeks in winter, and 1 week in the spring. Of course after second year this all changes.

By the way, Johan, how is your internship going? You interviewed me last spring, so I guess you put in a good word...thanks. The hx of med professor is George Caleel, D.O.

internship is going well. More than 25% through the year now and still intact.

Glad to hear you made it in, congrats.

Johan

Claymore...with a schedule like that, when do you study? Every night 4-12 am and on the weekends?