ccom: is this a "good sign"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javandane

He's so hot right now
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got a call from the ccom admissions director inviting me to interview next wednesday. i'm excited, as i think ccom may be my first choice. i'm also nervous as hell considering this will be my first interview and i have less than a week to prepare. for those who've interviewed, any last minute tips or tricks?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Just be yourself and relax for the interview. Interview there were pretty laid back. There was one physician, Ph.D faculty, and MSIII student on the pannel interview for me.

Congrats on the interview. I would say that receiving the phone call with a personal invite is a great sign and that they must really want to see you before the class is filled.

If you have not already done so, I would suggest reading through the interview feedback from this current cycle. It was extremely informative and helpful for me. Know your goals, values and motivations for pursuing medicine; know your file; enjoy the day and be yourself. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
dr.z said:
Congrats! Just be yourself and relax for the interview. Interview there were pretty laid back. There was one physician, Ph.D faculty, and MSIII student on the pannel interview for me.

That's funny. Mine wasn't. I got asked everything from, "how do you feel about abortion," to "how do you feel about Kevorkian and physician assisted suicide." Then one of my interviewers asked me if I knew what he did, to which I said, "Nope, sorry, should I?" His look was one of disappointment.

Driving home with my parents that day, I was straight pissed, because the interview went awful.

And then, the day everyone from the November interviews got called regarding their acceptances, I didn't. So I was like, sweet, I guess OUCOM it is.

Luckily, they sent me a letter a few days later with an acceptance though.

My situation with them was weird, and I don't know why.

I was really nervous for my interview, but like a few others said, just relax, be yourself and know your file. Most of my questions were out of my file. I had a few ethical questions ie if you saw peers drinking in class what would you do, etc. Nothing too hard. I was the last one in my group to go, so I had a long wait. I was lucky that I had a friend that goes to Pharm School there so we hung out for a bit so I didn't get too nervous. There is a lot of down time but use it to meet the other interviewees/ students that come around. Good luck and you'll do great! :)

congrats on the inteview! they seem to be nicer than most med schools. i just got a call yday from a lady at ccom saying i got in. it was a nice touch.

Congrats on your interview invite. Just be yourself and you should be fine. ANswer their questions and don't let anyone make you change your answers, just stick with what you say.

Read through your application and your secondary before you get there so things are fresh in your mind.

Good luck :luck: :luck: :luck:

javandane said:
i just got a call from the ccom admissions director inviting me to interview next wednesday. i'm excited, as i think ccom may be my first choice. i'm also nervous as hell considering this will be my first interview and i have less than a week to prepare. for those who've interviewed, any last minute tips or tricks?

thanks!

Congrats Javandane on your interview, it's definitely a good sign. Follow the others advice and you will be fine; and hope to soon welcome you to the Class of 2009 :)

Just a quick question about CCOM interviews... How long does it take them to invite you for an interview after submitting a supplemental?

sandra707 said:
Just a quick question about CCOM interviews... How long does it take them to invite you for an interview after submitting a supplemental?

a LOOOONG time! I submitted my supplemental august august, was finally complete in late september and I got invited to interview for this past jan 10th (got the interview letter right after the new year). The good news is that I just got accepted on tues and got the letter this past friday 1/28. so good luck!!!! yes, the interview was a bit stressful, but just be honest and be yourself. they WILL ask the 'ethical questions'. they also asked if i applied md and do. what i would do if i wasnt accepted. why ccom. but no grades/mcat questions!!! just be honest, and truthful and they will appreciate what you have to say. i was, and thought that it was going to work against me but apparently it didnt! :)

:luck: GOOD LUCK!!!! :luck:

sandra707 said:

My file was complete mid August. I got invited for an interview early to mid September (for Oct 4th interview). So it may depend on the person.

dr.z said:
My file was complete mid August. I got invited for an interview early to mid September (for Oct 4th interview). So it may depend on the person.

Agreed. I think I got the interview invite 2.5 weeks or so after I sent in the supplemental app.

sandra707 said:

I completed the secondary in July, got interview invite in Sept. for interview the next week, and was notified the last week of October.

2ndary was complete 1/13; interview invite came via phone call 1/25; will be interviewing 2/2.

glad to be interviewing so soon after 2ndary completion, yet wish the interview was a bit later in feb. so that the wait to hear my status won't be so long (i hear the ccom adcom meets once a month, towards the end of the month)

I just came back from an interview there today. I must say, the school really blew me away. The people are exceptionally friendly, the campus is beautiful, and the facilities are spacious and hi-tech. And they have a pool!

MasterShakeDO said:
I just came back from an interview there today. I must say, the school really blew me away. The people are exceptionally friendly, the campus is beautiful, and the facilities are spacious and hi-tech. And they have a pool!

mind sharing your interview experience? i'm interviewing there wednesday!

Javadane: You are probably at CCOM right now being interviewed. I am thinking about you and wishing for your success. You seem like a very serious and sincere candidate. Here's hoping you were able to remain calm and allow your best self to shine through. The waiting is killer, but you will hear w/in 4wks of your visit--sooner than many schools. Good luck.

MasterShakeDO: Congrats on completing your interview. Hope it was a good experience and that you receive an acceptance soon.

I love your comment "And they have a pool!" You must be a swimmer! I am also and I was hoping for a buddy to swim with next year during lunch or after classes. There are so many important factors involved in this decision process and it may seem silly to some, but I believe that the opportunity to continue my preferred method of stress relief (swimming) during med school will be critical to my success. I also think that having a strong interest area outside of school/medicine will help to keep us grounded and connected to others. Being a swimmer may have even helped to ensure my CCOM acceptance! It came up at least twice during my i/v, most significantly when I had to answer the "astronaut in distress" question and I stated that by holding my breath for over a minute, I would be able to extend my 10 second oxygen supply 6-10 times, perhaps long enough to find a fix to the malfunction. Anyway, hope you get in! See you at the pool! :D :cool: :D

Manifesting said:
Javadane: You are probably at CCOM right now being interviewed. I am thinking about you and wishing for your success. You seem like a very serious and sincere candidate. Here's hoping you were able to remain calm and allow your best self to shine through. The waiting is killer, but you will hear w/in 4wks of your visit--sooner than many schools. Good luck.

MasterShakeDO: Congrats on completing your interview. Hope it was a good experience and that you receive an acceptance soon.

I love your comment "And they have a pool!" You must be a swimmer! I am also and I was hoping for a buddy to swim with next year during lunch or after classes. There are so many important factors involved in this decision process and it may seem silly to some, but I believe that the opportunity to continue my preferred method of stress relief (swimming) during med school will be critical to my success. I also think that having a strong interest area outside of school/medicine will help to keep us grounded and connected to others. Being a swimmer may have even helped to ensure my CCOM acceptance! It came up at least twice during my i/v, most significantly when I had to answer the "astronaut in distress" question and I stated that by holding my breath for over a minute, I would be able to extend my 10 second oxygen supply 6-10 times, perhaps long enough to find a fix to the malfunction. Anyway, hope you get in! See you at the pool! :D :cool: :D

It would appear that java's interview is on Wednesday. You are a day early!

Well then, java, I guess I need to say OOPS! and I hope your interview on Wednesday is smooth and enjoyable!

Buckeye: D'oh! Thanks for noticing my goof, so nice to have you watching over me. :rolleyes:

I realized the mistake after I hit submit, but thought ah well, no big deal. I suppose javadane will have to accept good karma from me for two days running; what a deal, 'cause I can send some really good karma! I'm existing in a bit of a time warp this week. My son has been home with the flu and caregiver/mom is certain to be the next victim.

javandane said:
mind sharing your interview experience? i'm interviewing there wednesday!

I posted my interview experience on the interview feedback page... good luck tomorrow!

Manifesting: Yeah, I was captain of the water polo team in college and definitely want to stay in shape. Having a buddy would go a long way towards not becoming a lazy slob and gaining the MS1-15!
I'll keep you posted on my acceptance status

Master: So you are a swimmer! Yeah! I will be rooting for your acceptance! It would be tragic for that nice pool to sit empty without us. On the day I interviewed, there was no one in the water, so I don't think we will have to fight for lanes! Good luck waiting and dealing with the news, good or bad. Either way, there are adjustments to make. :luck: