CCOM Match list/General Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at CCOMs match list from last year, it showed that most students matched in Internal Medicine, Family Practice, some in Anest and ER, and just a couple in Orthopedics. For people that what to become Cardiologists, or allergests, or an endocrinologist, etc., do they do 3 years of IM first, and then apply for the specialy?

If so, what specialty requires an IM residency first, and how competitive are programs like Cardiology for D.O. applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

bigbody said:
I was looking at CCOMs match list from last year, it showed that most students matched in Internal Medicine, Family Practice, some in Anest and ER, and just a couple in Orthopedics. For people that what to become Cardiologists, or allergests, or an endocrinologist, etc., do they do 3 years of IM first, and then apply for the specialy?

If so, what specialty requires an IM residency first, and how competitive are programs like Cardiology for D.O. applicants?

To answer part of your question, Yes, to go into Cardio or Endo or specialties such as that, you would first do a general IM residency first, and then after completing the residency, you would then go on to do a specialty if you wanted to. I am interested in surgery so IM residency is not my strong point.

How competitive of Cardio in DO I don't know but I do know of a couple of cardiologists who are CCOM grads and do very well. The specifics I do not know, sorry.