CCOM on-campus living arrangements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glam88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to figure out a living arrangement for CCOM. I'm from out-of-state so getting furniture and things like that would be difficult for me so I had to eliminate the Pines Apartments, and decided I should probably live in the dorms (they do provide furniture in the dorms right? just checking)...

...so I am trying to decide which dorm to pick. I was thinking of picking the cheapest dorm Aspen, Birch, Chestnut, Dogwood, & Elm Halls (Dorms) Single w/Shared Bath [144]

It has no air-conditioning, but is air-conditioning really necessary in the area? If anyone has any advice about the dorms please let me know asap!!!!

Also, what is the deal with meal plans? Is it required if you live in the dorms?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am trying to figure out a living arrangement for CCOM. I'm from out-of-state so getting furniture and things like that would be difficult for me so I had to eliminate the Pines Apartments, and decided I should probably live in the dorms (they do provide furniture in the dorms right? just checking)...

...so I am trying to decide which dorm to pick. I was thinking of picking the cheapest dorm Aspen, Birch, Chestnut, Dogwood, & Elm Halls (Dorms) Single w/Shared Bath [144]

It has no air-conditioning, but is air-conditioning really necessary in the area? If anyone has any advice about the dorms please let me know asap!!!!

Also, what is the deal with meal plans? Is it required if you live in the dorms?

I was from out of state too and lived in the dorms (Redwood Hall) my first year. As far as furnature, all the dorm rooms provide a bed, desk, chair, and closet. I've had classmate that have lived in the traditional dorms that you are referring to and they said that during the summer they were comfortable with their window open and an electric fan. I liked the feel of Redwood Hall more than the traditional dorms, especially because I shared my bathroom with only one other person. In the traditional dorms, you have to share with a group of people. Well, good luck with your decision. I hope I could help.

Oh...I just saw the link that you made and I didn't know that the traditional dorms have a set up where you can share a bathroom with only one person. I think you would be comfortable there. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh...I just saw the link that you made and I didn't know that the traditional dorms have a set up where you can share a bathroom with only one person. I think you would be comfortable there. Good luck.

Thanks for your input....could you also let me know how does the meal plan work? Is it required you get certain meal plans if u live on campus, because in undergrad when I lived in the dorm it was required for us. Let me know asap bc I am going to try to send in my as soon as I can!! Thanks...and anything else that would be helpful to know!

Thanks for your input....could you also let me know how does the meal plan work? Is it required you get certain meal plans if u live on campus, because in undergrad when I lived in the dorm it was required for us. Let me know asap bc I am going to try to send in my as soon as I can!! Thanks...and anything else that would be helpful to know!

The meal plan is not required. It’s cheaper if you buy and prepare your own food, but at the expense of your time and the convenience of having it prepared for you. You can go to https://online.midwestern.edu and choose your meal plan, if you decide you want one. When I lived on campus last year, there were 3 different meal plans: 5 meals/week, 7 meals/week, or 12 meals/week. I chose the 7 meals/week and that was plenty. At the end of the quarter, I would often have about 5-10 unused meals. Unused meals don’t carry over to the next quarter. If you don’t use them, you lose them. You choose the meal plan quarter to quarter. So, if after you the fall quarter you decide that you weren’t satisfied with your chosen meal plan, you can always modify it to another.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

The meal plan is not required. It’s cheaper if you buy and prepare your own food, but at the expense of your time and the convenience of having it prepared for you. You can go to https://online.midwestern.edu and choose your meal plan, if you decide you want one. When I lived on campus last year, there were 3 different meal plans: 5 meals/week, 7 meals/week, or 12 meals/week. I chose the 7 meals/week and that was plenty. At the end of the quarter, I would often have about 5-10 unused meals. Unused meals don’t carry over to the next quarter. If you don’t use them, you lose them. You choose the meal plan quarter to quarter. So, if after you the fall quarter you decide that you weren’t satisfied with your chosen meal plan, you can always modify it to another.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Are there other choices and places nearby to get food other than the dining hall? Is there a shared kitchen in the residence halls?

Are there other choices and places nearby to get food other than the dining hall? Is there a shared kitchen in the residence halls?

There are places that are about a 5 min drive. Yes, there is one shared kitchen in the traditional residence halls. Redwood hall has a kitchen on every floor.

There are places that are about a 5 min drive. Yes, there is one shared kitchen in the traditional residence halls. Redwood hall has a kitchen on every floor.

Thanks for answering all my annoying questions. Youve been a great help.