CCOM Pros and Cons? - Mixed Feelings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yaruski7373

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone share their experiences or knowledge of the positives and negatives of CCOM. I interviewed there not too long ago and had mixed feelings about the institution. The capmus is beutifull and the school seems to have a lot of resources available to the students. However, I was a bit alarmed by somewhat lower board scores from last year and students overall enthusiasm. Quite of few students bragged about not going to class. Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The comlex scores across the nation dropped. they used to be around 90-92% pass rate, and they fell to 87.5% passrate. Why? The boards shifted to more clinical. Lots of x-rays, MRIs, little bacteria pictures, etc.

CCOM had a lower than expected drop to 84% pass rate. We had always been above 90%. There are many reasons for this, namely, our class size is huge. We have about 180 students per class. Further, our class was accepted at the time when med school apps were at their lowest. Further, our class, for teh first time in history started clinical rotations 2 weeks before comlex, while most other schools get 2 weeks or a month off before comlex. This was an oversight, and the policy has changed.

In order to remedy the situation, we now give students a huge break between teh end of classes and comlex. Rotations now begin after comlex.

Further, we have begun a radiology/imaging/diagnostics course that is an integral part of the curriculum. (most schools have also added this) Why? Because images are so crucial now. And comlex has two full booklets (almost 200 questions each) that use images. Way more then before. So the images are incorporated into the standard basic science classes, as well as this new course.

Further, the comlex shifted to a more clinical approach. Questions now are more like Step 2 questions. Hence, our curriculum committee reacted quickly and all departments now have their exams in clinical vignette format.

Personally, I love CCOM. The staff is great. They always try to improve and get tons of student feedback. I would much rather go to a school that recognizes weaknesses and adjusts than to one that doesn't. The dean and staff all have open door policies and they come talk to you before you fail out, they don't wait for you to fail the entire course.

Besides our state of the art campus, we have awesome clinical rotations. You will be rotating side by side with students from rush, Loyola, Northwestern, UIC, and in many areas of the city that they don't even get to see. Our sites are unbelieveable. You will see the most undersevred and uninsured, all teh way to the highest priced blue Cross and cash paying burgeoise that just want OMT or someone to talk to. Since we use hospitals all over the city, you get an awesome variety. You will rotate with poor doctors that are barely scrapping, to guys that are making millions and buying ferraris and lamborghinis every other day.

You will learn OMT from the very best DOs and will have a confidence and understanding unlike anything else. We simply have the best OMM lab in the country with the top technology. All digital recording and editing and all available on DVD. We wrote the book on OMM. Our DVDs go out to all the other DO schools. They are awesome.

But in the end, med school is med school. You get what you put in. I have friends at Rush, MSUCOM, OUCOM, Loyola, Northwestern, Wayne State, Michigan, Ohio State and lots of other med schools. We always talk and compare notes. How does your school teach that, what did they do about this, what is your curriculum like, how are rotations, how do they start? etc etce etc

From all my talking and seeing my friends and what they go through and their stories, let me just say, if you come to CCOM, you will get a damn good medical education. Probably one of the best medical educations in the country.

The students talking about missing class were probably not bragging. It's just reality. At every med school in America, very few students attend class. Most of us are so overwhelmed by teh amount of studying needed that we just stay home and read, read, read. You can't afford the time sitting in class, not actually studying. But for some students, the class thing works. So it may work for you.

In the end, you need to pick a program that you feel comfortable with. Choose a school with a nice friendly atmosphere, good rotations, friendly campus, and strong tradition. We're going on to 103 years.

If you have any questions for me, I also interview applicants. I am a third year medical student now.

Enjoy!!

I, especially, would like to add how great their facilities looked. I havent interviewed yet but I personally handed my completed application and just seeing first hand how the campus looked was amazing. I go to the university of illinois urbana-champaign and I thought my campus was beautiful. I am actually fortunate enough to have received an interview there on March 15th and was wondering what an 'interview waitlist' means? I saw that word posted several times on SDN and wondered if CCOM does that?

Since I'm interviewing in March, does that put me at a disadvantage MaloCCOM? Are all the seats already filled up and am I interviewing for a waitlist position? Seeing as CCOM is my top choice for medical school, it kinda worries me a bit because I feel as if I'm interviewing late. Any information regarding the admissions process and interviewing in March will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you got an interview, that means we have space available. We have rolling admissions, meaning we interview if we need people. I interviewed in late March and got in. You should be fine. Just be talkative and human in your interview, don't talk about numbers or statistics, just be yourself.

MaloCCOM said:
If you got an interview, that means we have space available. We have rolling admissions, meaning we interview if we need people. I interviewed in late March and got in. You should be fine. Just be talkative and human in your interview, don't talk about numbers or statistics, just be yourself.

so any idea of when the adcom meets this month?

javandane said:
so any idea of when the adcom meets this month?

Hey gmigs, good luck on your interview in March! You will be fine.
Javandane, you still haven't heard anything yet? It should be coming soon...
Hope to welcome you both to the Class of 09.

Chachie2682 said:
Hey gmigs, good luck on your interview in March! You will be fine.
Javandane, you still haven't heard anything yet? It should be coming soon...
Hope to welcome you both to the Class of 09.

Thanks MaloCCOM for the info. It put me at ease. Also, thanks for the encouragement Chachie2682. Hopefully I will be able to call you my classmate in the near future! I look forward to being there in March.

MaloCCOM,
Are you a fellow buckeye? I am coming to downers grove in the fall so you'll have to tell me where the OSU alumni meet to watch the games. I heard there are a few bars around the city that show the buckeyes on game day.

O-H...

Hi mocheese,
Yes I am a fellow Buckeye. I guess you can tell from the pin I was wearing that says: OHIO STATE.

Almost anywhere you go around campus, all adult beverage establishments have the buckeyes on. Nice to meet you!!

Hey Mohammed!!!

I just looked at your pic on the link you have posted and thpught to myself "hey, he was one of my interviewers!!" I interviewed with you, Dr. Sefjick and Dr. Smith (I think). Anyhow, I was accepted and will be attending this fall. I hope you got my thank you letter and am really excited about this fall. Thanks Again.
-Sarosh Bukhari

This is my first post. I just got an invitation to interview at CCOM so I'm pretty excited. All the information in this forum is really helpful. Thanks!

BERNZ said:
Hey Mohammed!!!

I just looked at your pic on the link you have posted and thpught to myself "hey, he was one of my interviewers!!" I interviewed with you, Dr. Sefjick and Dr. Smith (I think). Anyhow, I was accepted and will be attending this fall. I hope you got my thank you letter and am really excited about this fall. Thanks Again.
-Sarosh Bukhari

Hi Sarosh,
Yes, I got your letter. Thank you very much. I have a big stack of those now. You did great in your interview and I am honored to be able to call you a collegue. You will love your experience at CCOM and you will have fun too. If you have any questions, feel free to email me, you know where to find my email.

CCOM is the greatest place to be.... this side of Mars. You're going to get a top-notch education, an awesome OMM department that will give you that extra "tool" that you talked about in your interview, and you will have one of the most amazing clinical rotation experiences available in America.

I hope to see you around campus, get involved and have a lot of fun!!!

I didnt write a thank you note and got my acceptance today. I guess being really good looking was enough.
thanks

Being good looking helps.

As soon as I walked into the interview, one of my interviewers told me that my picture didn't do me justice.

I heard a rumor that there were more women than men that go to CCOM. is it true? If so, I'll have to beat them off with a stick.
thanks

Yaruski7373 said:
Hi, can anyone share their experiences or knowledge of the positives and negatives of CCOM. I interviewed there not too long ago and had mixed feelings about the institution. The capmus is beutifull and the school seems to have a lot of resources available to the students. However, I was a bit alarmed by somewhat lower board scores from last year and students overall enthusiasm. Quite of few students bragged about not going to class. Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks

Hey Mohammed,

I just realized that you also interviewed me. I am the Russian guy who volunteered on an ambulance in Israel, remember??? Well in any case thank you so much for you input and nice words. I just got accepted and will gladly accept the offer. Hope I run into you on campus in the fall. Also, congradulation to all my future collegues in the class of 2009.
Tom Shaknovsky

llort said:
I heard a rumor that there were more women than men that go to CCOM. is it true? If so, I'll have to beat them off with a stick.
thanks

I think this is true.

Yaruski7373 said:
Hey Mohammed,

I just realized that you also interviewed me. I am the Russian guy who volunteered on an ambulance in Israel, remember??? Well in any case thank you so much for you input and nice words. I just got accepted and will gladly accept the offer. Hope I run into you on campus in the fall. Also, congradulation to all my future collegues in the class of 2009.
Tom Shaknovsky

Hi Tom,
Yes, I remember you. You did very well in your interview. You were talkative, you told us your stories from Israel and you were genuine. We all really liked you and hope that you do come to CCOM. I look forward to seeing you on campus.
Take care,
Mohammed Alo

Buckeye(OH) said:
I think this is true.

Yes. My calss, the class of 2006 was the first class where females outnumbered males. We had 88 females and 81 males.

The numbers since then are much higher for females. The classes are now 65% female.

A lot of it has to do with the economy and general trends. More and more females are applying and more and more female patients want female doctors.

This is good for males going into medicine, why? Supply vs demand. Most females usually take time off, work part-time, take some time off to have kids, etc etc, then re-join the work force. Hence, the number of available physicians will be in flux, and lower than in the past. This means more demand for physicians.

I have a degree in Economics and we studied these trends for quite sometime.