Decided!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deactivated39483

Reaction score
i've been accepted to both schools and am having an incredibly difficult time deciding. can anyone give me insight as to what I need to be considering when choosing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you prefer one of the schools? What are your dealbreakers/preferences for the medical school that you attend? Did you interview in person/virtually at these schools? Is having a support system nearby important for you? If so, does one of these schools offer that for you?

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do the match lists for both of these schools tell you? I would go back a couple of years to get a better idea of how many students match into OB/GYN and if there is a location preference.
Thanks for the response! I initially was accepted to KCU months ago, but more recently accepted to CCOM. I've felt a preference for KCU since they were my first acceptance. I interviewed in person at KCU and virtually with CCOM. I am from Chicago, but being close to family and the price of tuition is not an issue (to expand on this - I have lived away from home for quite some time and am flexible with my ability to visit my hometown). I can't seem to decide or decipher if one of these schools will offer me a significantly better chance of obtaining a competitive residency in obstetrics and gynecology.

this is good advice and something I have done. I'm not necessarily married to the idea of being an OB/GYN, but it's definitely a pathway I am considering. The match lists feel comparable. does attending CCOM give me that big of a leg up on Chicago residencies? which school has the better reputation? does it even matter?
IMO and from what I've seen in the DO world, there's not really a big difference between the 2 schools, so it doesn't really matter. Go with the cheapest school!!! You will still have a shot at any residency that is DO friendly anywhere in the country including Chicago. Your performance and board scores will be the biggest factors that can make or break you. Beginning of 4th year, you can still use your elective rotations to audition and make connections at specific residency programs if you want to.

this is also what i am thinking - that there really isn't too much of a difference (other than the price tag). is it easier to get Chicago rotations going to CCOM? like if i wanted to rotate at Loyola or Rush would they prefer a CCOM student to one from KCU? or does it not matter if you're a visiting student
No, other than proximity, I don't think CCOM students have an advantage over KCU students for rotations at those places. You submit your VSLO application which contains your resume, step 1/Level 1 scores, letters of recommendation ect..., and they choose the best applicants they want to rotate with them.

Last edited:
Which school do you like better? Both are great schools, like everyone has said so far; so, you won't go wrong either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.