CCS Oncology - Imminent closure, bankruptcy, FBI investigation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cancer Treatment in Buffalo & Western New York | CCS Oncology
This is a large multi-specialty, multi-site Oncology group located in the metro Buffalo NY area.

This story is blowing up in Buffalo and nationally in Oncology circles. (CCS Oncology - Bing News)

Initially they declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy, then Bank of America started seizing assets due to non-payment of millions of dollars in lines of credit, then FBI raids them, then the State investigates them for non-payment of employees and as the final hurrah they are closing all services effective 4/27/18.

As you can imagine when you have > 1,000 cancer patients on active treatment this will cause many problems, especially for radiation. Fortunately, Roswell Park has stepped up to the plate and has offered to absorb these patients to minimize disruptions in care. Still, there will be insurance problems, logistical problems, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

was it physician-owned? if not, it's not fair to call the entity "Oncology group", IMO

Members don't see this ad :)
Googled it and it is indeed Dr. W. Sam Yi. Local RadOnc who was a resident at Rochester.

Cancer Treatment in Buffalo & Western New York | CCS Oncology
This is a large multi-specialty, multi-site Oncology group located in the metro Buffalo NY area.

This story is blowing up in Buffalo and nationally in Oncology circles. (CCS Oncology - Bing News)

Initially they declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy, then Bank of America started seizing assets due to non-payment of millions of dollars in lines of credit, then FBI raids them, then the State investigates them for non-payment of employees and as the final hurrah they are closing all services effective 4/27/18.

As you can imagine when you have > 1,000 cancer patients on active treatment this will cause many problems, especially for radiation. Fortunately, Roswell Park has stepped up to the plate and has offered to absorb these patients to minimize disruptions in care. Still, there will be insurance problems, logistical problems, etc.
Can someone link to the story itself. Links above are propaganda of the practice.

Can someone link to the story itself. Links above are propaganda of the practice.

The first link was simply the practice's website. The second link "CCS Oncology - Bing News" will take you to complete web archive of articles by the media.

Medscape: Medscape Access

A New York state oncologist has been accused of gross negligence and incompetence allegedly related to the deaths of six patients.

Charges were filed by the New York State Department of Health against radiation oncologist Won Sam Yi, MD, who was the former chief executive officer of the now-defunct private cancer practice CCS Oncology. The charges could result in the loss or suspension of Yi's medical license, and he could face fines and other sanctions.

In one case, Yi is accused of providing whole-brain radiation therapy to a 43-year-old woman for about 6 weeks in 2012, even though it was "contrary to medical indications" and without taking into account the previous doses of radiation that she had received. The patient died on December 20, 2012.

A second case involved a 72-year-old man who had received radiation therapy in 2009 for prostate cancer that exceeded commonly prescribed doses for his disease and without considering alternative treatments. The patient was also treated with radiotherapy to his right jaw from August to September 2011, "despite lacking clear radiographic evidence that [the patient] was even experiencing metastatic disease at the site." The state points out that this treatment regimen also didn't take into account previous radiation therapy and "thus exceeded appropriate tissue tolerances." This patient died on March 14, 2012.

Seven lawsuits, filed by the patients or families, have been levied against CCS Oncology or its affiliates, but it is unclear as to the amount of overlap, if any, that exists between their lawsuits and state charges.

Last edited:
Didn't think 6 weeks of WBRT was still a thing... maybe he's a Patchell purist?

Unfortunate for those in Buffalo. Guess Roswell Park can expand pretty easily and create a monopoly of the area there if they are so inclined

Reactions: 1 user
I was once referred a prostate patient with a nasty jaw lesion for palliative radiotherapy . Fortunately, it occurred to me to consider bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis, and to hold off RT.

I was once referred a prostate patient with a nasty jaw lesion for palliative radiotherapy . Fortunately, it occurred to me to consider bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis, and to hold off RT.

And if you want to really think outside the box, there's this thing you can send patients for called a "biopsy"

Reactions: 2 users
And if you want to really think outside the box, there's this thing you can send patients for called a "biopsy"
To be fair, he didn’t say he didn’t hold off to not biopsy. Could have allowed him time to do so :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Prob would Axumin if I were being really novel.

Jaw lesion would depend on the context. If pt were riddled with mets, I would probably not suspect osteoradionecrosis. If solitary lesion, on the other hand, that would be unusual.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Wow
Updates....

6 weeks of WBRT in a 43 yo F with previous xrt :oops:
My guess is something like GBM with subsequent gliomatosis-type progression? Said he was trying to "cure" the disease. Would be odd to state that for brain mets. Would still be bizarre treatment, but maybe some precautions were taken. Who knows? I'm guessing it was probably not quite as insane as it seems on it's face. Remember, the initial Patchell regimen was 28 fractions of WBRT which rounds up to 6 weeks.

Last edited:
I’m sure Yi’s life sucks for the most part right now and losing the license is a real gut punch. OTOH based on where I thought this might go way back when and where it is now for Yi, things could have been A LOT worse. When the feds decline to intervene that’s a big win.

Take the time to read the full pdf from New York Department of Health; it describes each of the clinical situations in detail; as well as the evaluation by the defendant, his expert witness, and the state board's expert witness. It's .. wow.

Take the time to read the full pdf from New York Department of Health; it describes each of the clinical situations in detail; as well as the evaluation by the defendant, his expert witness, and the state board's expert witness. It's .. wow.
Hopefully my therapists aren't about to turn me in for getting 4Ds on livers, pancreases and adrenals.

My guess is something like GBM with subsequent gliomatosis-type progression? Said he was trying to "cure" the disease. Would be odd to state that for brain mets. Would still be bizarre treatment, but maybe some precautions were taken. Who knows? I'm guessing it was probably not quite as insane as it seems on it's face. Remember, the initial Patchell regimen was 28 fractions of WBRT which rounds up to 6 weeks.
Even if you did 1.5 Gy fx x 30 = 45 Gy, that is an incredible dose to give after giving radiation, isn't it? Something seems really bad. I didn't read PDF.

link?

Even if you did 1.5 Gy fx x 30 = 45 Gy, that is an incredible dose to give after giving radiation, isn't it? Something seems really bad. I didn't read PDF.
I see your 1.5 Gy fx x 30 = 45 Gy with concurrent use of a heat lamp purchased at Home Depot that is used to bill concurrent hyperthermia. Not relevant in this case, but believe it or not, I've seen it done.

• Wow
I see your 1.5 Gy fx x 30 = 45 Gy with concurrent use of a heat lamp purchased at Home Depot that is used to bill concurrent hyperthermia. Not relevant in this case, but believe it or not, I've seen it done.

Marc Pomper has several vans that drive to nursing homes and deliver hdr skin xrt over 8 weeks. He is one of the highest Medicare billers in the USA. A lawsuit had accused him of billing for hyperthermia with heat lamps from Home Depot.

• Sad
  • Wow
Point taken. I was trying to give benefit of doubt to a fellow physician. Wrong! That **** is bonkers.

The amount of grifter conmen in this field continue to amaze me. And we all know some who haven’t gotten caught.

Reactions: 3 users
With the exception of retreating whole brain to 60 Gy after recently getting 50 Gy (and I've seen stuff almost as bad, but I'd still say that wins) I regularly see similar stuff as the other complaints.

Boomers gonna boomer.

Edit: Who was the guy who would regularly prescribe 50 cGy per fraction and drag out treatments for 6 months? I swear that was going on for a long time somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the exception of retreating whole brain to 60 Gy after recently getting 50 Gy (and I've seen stuff almost as bad, but I'd still say that wins) I regularly see similar stuff as the other complaints.

Boomers gonna boomer.

Edit: Who was the guy who would regularly prescribe 50 cGy per fraction and drag out treatments for 6 months? I swear that was going on for a long time somewhere.

Sounds like a Florida thing

Aka the MOS EISLEY of rad onc (hat tip ESE)

• Haha

Boomers gonna boomer.

Someone in SoCal

Tangentially related... academic satellite located into my town a few years back. Over time have shared some bone met patients w/ them. They appear never to have heard of "8 gray in 1 fraction."

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Tangentially related... academic satellite located into my town a few years back. Over time have shared some bone met patients w/ them. They appear never to have heard of "8 gray in 1 fraction."
There are people billing SRS for 8x1

• Wow
I heard of someone who has an inhouse PET and owns the machine. They bill globally for this. They get multiple PETs throughout treatment to “guide assessment of response”. Of course many PETs at follow up. This same person treats at 0.5 gy a day treating prostates for months to minimize side effects. Oh and the in house pharmacy brings in lots cheesy dough too.
True story folks!

Personally our field would be better off if FBI would raid all these folks and put them away. Surely they working on it.

This same person treats at 0.5 gy a day treating prostates for months to minimize side effects.
How high can you go with the total dose if you treat prostate with 0.5 Gy per day?
I am asking for a friend. :rofl:

• Haha
We hired a therapist on a per diem basis from a local academic satellite (that streams main campus docs. Some big names.) about 3 years ago. She had never once seen a breast hypofractionated before coming to my clinic. Ditto prostate. She was astonished that it's a thing.

Reactions: 3 users
How high can you go with the total dose if you treat prostate with 0.5 Gy per day?
I am asking for a friend. :rofl:
Im sure lord wallrus can write us a thesis on the radbio of treating prostates 0.25-0.5 a day. How would you do it if you were asked lord wallrus?

Using an alpha beta of 3, 80 fractions of 0.5 gy a day is an EQD2 of 28. You folks do the math!

There are people billing SBRT for 5 fx 30/5 APBI.
I am not, but what says it’s isnt

- dose / fractions are sbrt
- volume is small
- Image guided
- breath hold as immobilization

What makes it not sbrt Vs sbrt ?

Reactions: 4 users