Cdn Student looking at PreDent in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoScrubs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm just looking for advice and some insight as into what to do with my situation. Basically what my situation is that, I'm currently an Econ undergraduate in Ontario, Canada. And my overall GPA isn't that high ... due to circumstances beyond my control. Anyway. I'm working on finishing up my undergraduate and I'm not sure what to do. I'm hoping to be accepted to a pre-dental program in the Washington, DC or Northern Virginia area...

I decided after much thought that I want to persue a career in dentistry - but I'm VERY new at this and I just need some advice as to what to do and what you would recommend...

- Should I retake some of my courses again to raise my GPA?
- Can Canadian students apply for Pre-Dental programs in the states?
- Should I finish with the current Econ credits I have and then persue another undergraduate degree in sciences?

I'm looking to relocate to the DC area in the next 1-2 years ...

Help!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm a CDN citizen and transferred from a Canadian university to a US university after 2 years and entered a pre-dental program in the US. So i know it is possible...I am starting dental school in August. So you should definately check out the possibility

Hey I'm a CDN citizen and transferred from a Canadian university to a US university after 2 years and entered a pre-dental program in the US. So i know it is possible...I am starting dental school in August. So you should definately check out the possibility
Hey! What kind of things did you have to do?

I just found out from my University that I can't redo the courses I've already completed.

Are you in Dental school in the fall or Predental?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I transferred after having completed 2 years in Canada. The credits I took in Canada transferred to the US and I just completed the requirements to graduate with my degree at the university in the US.

My school in the US would have allowed me to redo any courses I needed to in order to pull up grades if needed, especially if you got a low grade in a course in Canada. When you transfer to the US, they calculate your GPA from the beginning, so your grades in Canada are not reflected in your US GPA. I know that alot of schools don't allow you to transfer into a full-time program in the US if you have completed most of your requirements at another school. You should contact the admissions office of any specific schools you're interested in and tell them about your situation.

Or you could finish up your undergrad in Ontario, and just complete the prerequisites to enter specific schools in the US.

...and yes I am starting dental school in the fall, I finished my pre-dent in the US.

Hehehe.. your thread sounds like a personals' add. "Enjoys long nights with predent books" might as well be added to the end..:D

ANywho, I too transfered from a Canadian school to one here in the states after a year and a half in uni. If you're past sophomore status, it will be very hard for you to transfer, especially if your major is economics. I'm not very knowledgeable about this field but I did take a couple of classes at my Canadian university, and since they were specific to Canadian econ, they did not transfer here.

Your best bet would be to take as many predent courses as you can, some biochem/genetics/histology/microbiology/chem and physics. Make sure to get nothing less than a B+ in these courses to help out your GPA and make a case for admissions.

Also, your application will probably be most entertained at expensive private schools. USC is very accommodating to Canadian students, as told to me by one of the students there recently. Start calling schools to find out if they will take the American DAT from you. I recommend you don't take the Canadian DAT if it can be helped because the carving section just makes it too much trouble, unless you're good at that sort of stuff.

Apply early (may-june), have an impressive volunteering/research/life angle to dental school, and good luck!

UIC's website

Can I apply to the DDS program if my prerequisite courses were taken outside the United States?

No. The College only considers candidates who have completed their prerequisite required courses at a United States College or University.

The above is an example of why it's smart to do your research because schools vary in their requirements. Private schools are probably the best option, and several are known to accept Canadian students.

Hey,

Do you guys know if their is a conversion factor for Canadians who have completed their courses in Canada, but are transfering to USA for dental studies.

Eg: If i get 85% here, it equals an A which is 4.0/4.0....but in the USA will it be different ?

thanks

Hey,

Do you guys know if their is a conversion factor for Canadians who have completed their courses in Canada, but are transfering to USA for dental studies.

Eg: If i get 85% here, it equals an A which is 4.0/4.0....but in the USA will it be different ?

thanks
I think it varies. The reason why I knew my average was bad was because, I sent in for a credit evaluation through WES. It helps alot.

Well I transferred after having completed 2 years in Canada. The credits I took in Canada transferred to the US and I just completed the requirements to graduate with my degree at the university in the US.

My school in the US would have allowed me to redo any courses I needed to in order to pull up grades if needed, especially if you got a low grade in a course in Canada. When you transfer to the US, they calculate your GPA from the beginning, so your grades in Canada are not reflected in your US GPA. I know that alot of schools don't allow you to transfer into a full-time program in the US if you have completed most of your requirements at another school. You should contact the admissions office of any specific schools you're interested in and tell them about your situation.

Or you could finish up your undergrad in Ontario, and just complete the prerequisites to enter specific schools in the US.

...and yes I am starting dental school in the fall, I finished my pre-dent in the US.
Congratulations on the acceptance in the fall!

Yah. The thing that's really annoying is that every school is different. I'm leaning towards finish and improving my marks as much as I possibly can in Ontario and apply to a pre-dental program in the states. I'm looking at the Washington DC area... so I've got a few schools to still call. I know that VCU doesn't accept students from Canada into their pre-dental program -- so hopefully maybe Howard will, and my other option is U of Maryland.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hey,

thanks

What does your final grade on the transcript look like? If it is a letter grade (and it's rarely a percentage) then an A will be an A for aadsas.

Congratulations on the acceptance in the fall!

Yah. The thing that's really annoying is that every school is different. I'm leaning towards finish and improving my marks as much as I possibly can in Ontario and apply to a pre-dental program in the states. I'm looking at the Washington DC area... so I've got a few schools to still call. I know that VCU doesn't accept students from Canada into their pre-dental program -- so hopefully maybe Howard will, and my other option is U of Maryland.

Thanks so much for your help!

Yes definately check out those schools, especially Howard as I know they accept quite a few international students. You'll still need to ask them about your particular situation...actually Howard is where I will be attending D-school in the Fall!

Good luck...and as everyone else has said, apply as early as possible...even when you still have a few prereqs to complete!