CDP and pattern folding issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salmoides

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I started CDP about one month ago. I made an 18 on my first test and am now on test seven. I am consistently scoring in the low 20s (20-22). I’m happy with my progress in almost all of the sections except pattern folding. I’m getting worse. On test 1-3 I averaged 11/15, but on test 4-7 I averaged 8/15. I don’t know what to do. I’m not running out of time (I usually have about ten minutes left over) . I consistently think that there is more than one correct answer. Should I just do more practice until I am able to visualize it? Is there something that I could be missing. I’m retaking specifically because of a low PAT score so this is really freaking me out. I would really appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I've had some troubles with pattern folding also. Here are a couple tips that I use to help improve my scores (and they definitely did improve in my practice tests).

1. ELIMINATE ELIMINATE ELIMINATE. A lot of times my eyes will want to jump randomly from choices D to A to B etc, but now I force myself to start at A and just move down the line, eliminating or choosing as I go. I definitely look at each choice before I move on (unless I'm strapped for time)

2. Try drawing it out! Especially if you have time left over, try drawing out the figure with the shades from a bird's eye view. Then as you're going through your choices, try rotating about your whiteboard to see if it makes sense or not.

Hope that helps!

I think drawing it out would take too much time, but eliminating the wrong answer choices works out really well for me as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
when you guys eliminate an answer choice do you mentally fold the shape and try to rotate it, to the same orientation as the answer choices? Or do you mentally unfold the answer choices and compare it to the unfolded example? I would love some input on technique.

Also does anyone know of a website where I can print some patterns cut them out and manually fold them? (doing this with a holepunch and post it notes really helped me for the hole punch.)