xz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpsayshi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
xzy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply if you want but you’ll be wasting your money. A 251 for a DO is basically equivalent to a 230 from an MD so you could probably get some good interviews from academic places around the country but I wouldn’t waste your time on super competitive places. Anywhere in California alone will be really hard since they’re already not that DO friendly unless maybe you’re from there. Needless to say, if they don’t even let DOs rotate, there’s no way they’ll consider your app (unless you have high up connections that can talk to their PD for you).

Take it with a grain of salt but the general advice I've heard is that Cedars-Sinai is a really pretty hospital but lacks prestige and research in comparison to other programs. I heard their training is cushy and it's the lesser of the UCLA programs (my friend at david geffen med didn't particularly like rotating through there, said Harbor and UCLA hosp are much better). I'm sure you still come out being able to operate though. Just passing along what I've heard at conferences from other residents/attendings. I have not rotated through their hospital personally.

That being said, it won't hurt to call the prog coordinator and ask if DO applications are accepted. And if they do accept them, I would go ahead and apply. You won't lose anything by doing so. It's funny because I know a lot of way way better programs look at DO apps to make sure they're not missing out on a baller candidate. Flip side know some progs have a "no DO" rule.