cedars sinai vs. ucla harbor vs. santa barbara

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

modo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any opinions on cedars sinai prelim vs. ucla harbor trans vs. santa barba prelim?

priorities: ability to meet people / be in a cool place; a program that won't kill me

Members don't see this ad.

Where will you be doing residency?

In terms of cushness

Santa Barb > Cedars >> Harbor

Huntington memorial noted to be cush.

hopefully doing residency at UCLA main campus. here's my take

santa barbara - beautiful but sleepy rich town with not a lot of singles or opportunity to meet ppl (small hospital), totally cush/vacation program

cedars - huge program, beautiful hospital, great location but work hard

harbor - big program w/ lots of opportunity to meet other residents, transitional year offers more variety, ghetto hospital/area, mixed feelings on how cush it is (i've heard both)

so given all that... i basically have no idea how to rank them

so given all that... i basically have no idea how to rank them

Hopefully you're able to gauge ur ranklist after ur interview. But my take would be...

1. Cedars
2. Harbor (I dont think they require an interview, so you should take a mini-tour of the hospital first)
3. Santa Barbara (so you don't have to move twice)

I say try to be in a place where you can have fun. Internship should be pretty laid back except for when youre at the hospital. But once youre done, not as much studying as the categoricals.

Have you considered any of the other LA programs? Oliveview, West LA VA, Kaiser, St Mary's Long Beach, White memorial.

I've heard not so good things about UCLA main campus prelim in terms of workload, but things may different.